Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Expecting a striker (who was our captain btw) to score a goal to keep us up, and at least look like he gives a f*** is not the same as expecting him to single handedly turn around the fortunes of the club.

It is with the midfield we had.

He was a rubbish captain yeah, dont see why thats relevant

The Italian continues to monitor the 30-year-old, saying: "He is not a tormentor. He is one of the players that I follow.

"I saw the last game he played, on television, and he scored three goals in the Champions League but the next game he did not play. For this reason, I ask myself why? Why (Wayne) Rooney plays always and Owen not? He is one of the important England players."

Clearly wants to take him tbh

Expecting a striker (who was our captain btw) to score a goal to keep us up, and at least look like he gives a f*** is not the same as expecting him to single handedly turn around the fortunes of the club.

Nobody can say he wasn't given chances towards the end of last season, he fluffed them, just like he's been fluffing chance after chance this season. The "he will score goals" theory is well off the mark right now.

It's relevant because my entire post was about how Owen going to the World Cup would be a travesty because he doesn't deserve it, regardless of how good he is (he's terrible btw).

England strikers that should be ahead of Owen:

Small forwards (Similar to Owen):

Rooney

Defoe

Lanky forwards: (For classic English long ball game)

Crouch

Cole

Bit of everything forward:

Bent

Do England need 6 strikers? i think not.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Owen is too busy playing with his horses, and gambling his hard earned cash to care about if he goes to the World Cup or not.

Nobody can say he wasn't given chances towards the end of last season, he fluffed them, just like he's been fluffing chance after chance this season. The "he will score goals" theory is well off the mark right now.

Strikers are more likely to fluff chances when theyve touched the ball maybe twice in previous 4 games. All our strikers were missing at that point.

It's relevant because my entire post was about how Owen going to the World Cup would be a travesty because he doesn't deserve it, regardless of how good he is (he's terrible btw).

He doesnt deserve it why? Because you expected him to turn around the team single handedly yes. If he performs well he'll deserve it obviously.

He doesnt deserve it why? Because you expected him to turn around the team single handedly yes. If he performs well he'll deserve it obviously.

Fuck off man. :lol: He was our Captain, and he didn't give a damn. Expecting him to turn it around? No, that's your words. Expect him to look like he wants to keep us up, as our captain, a big resounding YES. He doesn't deserve to go, because he completely let us down in every way, as a captain and as a striker when we needed him most. There were other factors of course, but expecting him to try is not expecting him to turn the whole team around. 1 goal ffs.

Thats down to the people that made him captain. He never fit that role atall.

How does a player look like he wants to keep us up anyway, sounds like some of you were expecting tears after every goal.

We couldnt pass = owen scored no goals. Our whole team lacked confidence last season & underperformed. I see no reason to put the majority on Owen beyond his paycheck & rep, so people had higher expectations and were let down.

Fuck off man. :lol: He was our Captain, and he didn't give a damn. Expecting him to turn it around? No, that's your words. Expect him to look like he wants to keep us up, as our captain, a big resounding YES. He doesn't deserve to go, because he completely let us down in every way, as a captain and as a striker when we needed him most. There were other factors of course, but expecting him to try is not expecting him to turn the whole team around. 1 goal ffs.

I agree. The biggest plus this season has been the great team spirit amongst the players who all wanted to stay and prove a point. This contrasts massively with Owen who despite being made captain looked like he wouldn't wipe his arse with a Newcastle shirt. I can'#t see him getting much game time in the Premier for Man U so his England place looks like a long shot.

How does a player look like he wants to keep us up anyway, sounds like some of you were expecting tears after every goal.

We couldnt pass = owen scored no goals. Our whole team lacked confidence last season & underperformed. I see no reason to put the majority on Owen beyond his paycheck & rep, so people had higher expectations and were let down.

No-one is saying Owen was the only one to blame, no-one is saying that if he looked like he cared he would have kept us up. He was our captain and he didn't look bothered when the team was teetering on the edge of relegation. That is why I don't believe he deserves to go to the World Cup. Now stop putting words in peoples mouths, of course the whole team was shite, that doesn't change the fact that Owen showed a complete lack of effort and lack of respect for the club.

No-one is saying Owen was the only one to blame, no-one is saying that if he looked like he cared he would have kept us up. He was our captain and he didn't look bothered when the team was teetering on the edge of relegation. That is why I don't believe he deserves to go to the World Cup. Now stop putting words in peoples mouths, of course the whole team was s****, that doesn't change the fact that Owen showed a complete lack of effort and lack of respect for the club.

I don't think that not showing any real effort for us at the end of last season has anything to do with deserving to go or not to go to the World Cup.

What he has done to us has nothing to do with his England career as long as he plays well for his current club.

No-one is saying Owen was the only one to blame, no-one is saying that if he looked like he cared he would have kept us up. He was our captain and he didn't look bothered when the team was teetering on the edge of relegation. That is why I don't believe he deserves to go to the World Cup. Now stop putting words in peoples mouths, of course the whole team was s****, that doesn't change the fact that Owen showed a complete lack of effort and lack of respect for the club.

I don't think that not showing any real effort for us at the end of last season has anything to do with deserving to go or not to go to the World Cup.

What he has done to us has nothing to do with his England career as long as he plays well for his current club.

True but this is a Newcastle forum so obviously Newcastle fans posting are going to have their views coloured by his efforts (or lack of) for us. In my opinion Fergie won't give him enough games to qualify selection anyway.

I didnt say you were. Lack of effort isnt really supported well, thats what the convos about. He was a crap captain yes.

I dont see how this ends up with people being so bitter that owen playing for England would near ruin the world cup for them  :lol: Clearly a larger percentage of blame is put towards him than is rational, people dislike him far more than most others that have left.

Most of us said he was shit and yet, even before his recent hat-trick I kept reading bollocks in the media about "he's the man you want your chances to fall to" and "there's no one better than Michael Owen in taking chances". I imagine Man U fans who watch them regularly have seen him spurn numerous chances.