Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8438450.stm

Ferguson says Owen may struggle to stake World Cup bid

Sir Alex Ferguson admits his reluctance to leave out Wayne Rooney may make it difficult for Michael Owen to play enough to stake a World Cup claim.

Owen has appeared in 14 of United's 20 league games so far but started only four and last played a full top-flight match against Everton on 21 November.

"We'll try and get him to the World Cup as best we can. But it is difficult when you have a squad of our size.

"It is difficult to leave Rooney out of your team," said the United manager.

"That's the thing, I think he's identical to Wayne in the position he plays, which is further up the pitch with Dimitar Berbatov in your team.

"The combinations are more likely to be Berbatov and Owen or Berbatov and Rooney.

"With Rooney and Owen together you would have to drop Rooney in the hole and I prefer to play him further up the pitch."

Rooney is joint-top of the Premier League scoring charts with 14 goals and has turned in man-of-the-match performances against Hull and Wigan in United's last two matches while Owen has been an unused substitute.

The 30-year-old reignited calls for his inclusion in Fabio Capello's England squad with a hat-trick against Wolfsburg in United's final Champions League group game on 8 November.

But he has played just three times since, with his last appearance as part of an unsuccessful strike partnership with Rooney in a 3-0 defeat away to Fulham.

The last of Owen's 89 caps - and his only one under Capello - came as a substitute in a 1-0 friendly defeat to France in March 2008.

England will play a friendly against Egypt on 3 March with the 23-man squad for the World Cup in South Africa expected to be announced in mid-May.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8438450.stm

Ferguson says Owen may struggle to stake World Cup bid

Sir Alex Ferguson admits his reluctance to leave out Wayne Rooney may make it difficult for Michael Owen to play enough to stake a World Cup claim.

Owen has appeared in 14 of United's 20 league games so far but started only four and last played a full top-flight match against Everton on 21 November.

"We'll try and get him to the World Cup as best we can. But it is difficult when you have a squad of our size.

"It is difficult to leave Rooney out of your team," said the United manager.

"That's the thing, I think he's identical to Wayne in the position he plays, which is further up the pitch with Dimitar Berbatov in your team.

"The combinations are more likely to be Berbatov and Owen or Berbatov and Rooney.

"With Rooney and Owen together you would have to drop Rooney in the hole and I prefer to play him further up the pitch."

Rooney is joint-top of the Premier League scoring charts with 14 goals and has turned in man-of-the-match performances against Hull and Wigan in United's last two matches while Owen has been an unused substitute.

The 30-year-old reignited calls for his inclusion in Fabio Capello's England squad with a hat-trick against Wolfsburg in United's final Champions League group game on 8 November.

But he has played just three times since, with his last appearance as part of an unsuccessful strike partnership with Rooney in a 3-0 defeat away to Fulham.

The last of Owen's 89 caps - and his only one under Capello - came as a substitute in a 1-0 friendly defeat to France in March 2008.

England will play a friendly against Egypt on 3 March with the 23-man squad for the World Cup in South Africa expected to be announced in mid-May.

Didn't Fergie say a month ago or so that Owen will have enough playing-time to get to the World Cup?

Owen was a joke.  :lol:  And of course he's better than Beckford, even if he is overrated, you can't even bring yourself to admit this this though.

No, you're right I can't. And after that i'm probably not the only one. :lol:

Owen was a joke.  :lol:  And of course he's better than Beckford, even if he is overrated, you can't even bring yourself to admit this this though.

I laughed my head off when he missed (and don't care if he goes to the WC) but you think because Beckford scored one goal against PL opposition he's suddenly better than Owen?  You said yourself Beckford wasn't PL quality, just Championship quality, I hardly think you can say Owen isn't good enough for the Championship (although I know you will) when we've seen what Shola can do.

Owen is a shadow of his former self but put him in League 1 and he'd score loads.

Before you say I love him, read my first few words again before you reply.

I laughed my head off when he missed (and don't care if he goes to the WC) but you think because Beckford scored one goal against PL opposition he's suddenly better than Owen?  You said yourself Beckford wasn't PL quality, just Championship quality, I hardly think you can say Owen isn't good enough for the Championship (although I know you will) when we've seen what Shola can do.

Owen is a shadow of his former self but put him in League 1 and he'd score loads.

If I could buy either player for £1.5million I'd pick Beckford every time. In fact even if Owen was 500k less and agreed to the same wages I'd still tell him to fuck off.

If I could buy either player for £1.5million I'd pick Beckford every time. In fact even if Owen was 500k less and agreed to the same wages I'd still tell him to f*** off.

Same.

Guest zeta87

That miss near the end was legendary :lol:

This. I f***ing loved it.

Hope he actually does make it to the world cup so that the whole world could laugh at him too. lol

Guest firetotheworks

Can I start a new part of the thread - Explain Michael Owen in just 3 words - I'll start off with;

Money-Grabbing c***.

Defensive, when questioned.

Guest Stephen927

No longer clinical.

And that is basically his only plus point as a player, he's pretty much finished. His spell at Man United so far has just shown everyone that even with the players giving him chances, he still can't put them away.