Newcastle United 2-0 Middlesbrough - 20/12/09 - post match reaction from page 15

Nate

Guest firetotheworks

I know I should let this drop, but I have to agree with Jayson.

Boro were turgid and there for the taking. Yes I am delighted to get another 3 points, another clean sheet and to be 10 points clear. But we all know the quality in this league is a joke and when we go up, if we dont change over half of the team we will struggle.

For a home game like this, with a huge crowd backing us, it would have been nice to see us get the ball down and attack them, much like the we did for the last 10-20 minutes.

The long ball tactics succeeded in this case, but I didnt enjoy watching it.

Completely irrelevant, and still not a given at this stage. We all know we're not good enough for the Premier League at the moment. Most of that post makes little sense tbh. 'Boro were there for the taking, we beat them easily. Just because you didnt enjoy watching it doesn't mean it's woeful. Especially if it's been effective.

Guest firetotheworks

Sorry but what do you expect? Inferior to what? 'Boro? No. The rest of the quality in this league? No. What we're used to? No.

Inferior to everything in life that is enjoyable in the slightest

Well welcome to the party, you can cry if you want to.

Guest toonlass

Bloody cold there today. Boro never looked dangerous, even when one of their arsehole supporters threw a seat from level 7 he didn't even manage to hit anyone. We did enough to win it. Their fans really are idiots. Saw a couple getting walloped off the police as they came out for being numpties.

Result is what matters. I didn't think it was that bad, especially the second half. After we scored the second goal we coasted. A lot of people (including the players when interviewed) have said how we haven't had to hit top gear yet. I think we keep doing just enough to win most of the time. Score one goal and then try to hold on to it rather than chase more goals. It may not be pretty but it's working. I don't know if that's what the manager is telling them to do though. I can't see us thrashing anyone as we don't seem to have the desire to.

All ive said is it was a very poor first half  :lol:

I think we could have been more efficient with the ball. Dunno what all the fuss is about.

If we win, we aren't allowed to make any negative comments. We're 10 points clear, we have to act like we're the best team ever apparently.

Result is what matters. I didn't think it was that bad, especially the second half. After we scored the second goal we coasted. A lot of people (including the players when interviewed) have said how we haven't had to hit top gear yet. I think we keep doing just enough to win most of the time. Score one goal and then try to hold on to it rather than chase more goals. It may not be pretty but it's working. I don't know if that's what the manager is telling them to do though. I can't see us thrashing anyone as we don't seem to have the desire to.

Our worst spell this season came after we thrashed Ipswich.

Other teams have thrashed other teams but aren't 10 points clear at the top. We have the desire to thrash the whole league after 46 games, and the intelligence to make it happen.

In other words (i.e. cliches) it is a marathon, not a sprint. We have Christmas coming up there is no point tiring ourselves out before that period has even started.

Guest firetotheworks

All ive said is it was a very poor first half  :lol:

I think we could have been more efficient with the ball. Dunno what all the fuss is about.

If we win, we aren't allowed to make any negative comments. We're 10 points clear, we have to act like we're the best team ever apparently.

Aye, that's exactly it.  :rolleyes:

I see the hand ball the Middlesbrough player did in their penalty area, blocking Nolan's shot has been erased from history in the match reports. It was wrongly decided Ranger was offside. Middlesbrough's complaint about Taylor's hand ball seems to still count though.

Our worst spell this season came after we thrashed Ipswich.

Other teams have thrashed other teams but aren't 10 points clear at the top. We have the desire to thrash the whole league after 46 games, and the intelligence to make it happen.

In other words (i.e. cliches) it is a marathon, not a sprint. We have Christmas coming up there is no point tiring ourselves out before that period has even started.

I'm not complaining, but what I'm saying is if we ever have to hit top gear we might not be able to as we haven't had to so far. Can we hit top gear or is what we are seeing the best the squad can do? Who knows? It's also one of the reasons why people struggle to see this squad survive in the Premiership.

Guest firetotheworks

Premiership talk is pointless atm. We know we wont be any good with this team in the Premier League, but quite simply, and is patronising free as possible; were not in the Premier League.

The game was a bit boring until Nicky butt came on and offered his own unique brand of comedy football!

Constantly hoofing the ball to the player furthest away from anyone or anything....  :facepalm:

Having 3 players on his left to square the ball to but instead choosing to Pass to his right to Chris Hughton in the dugout!  :facepalm:

Reverse parallel overhead Triple Salchow bycicle kick without any purpose or need.... :mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

Premiership talk is pointless atm. We know we wont be any good with this team in the Premier League, but quite simply, and is patronising free as possible; were not in the Premier League.

Reminds me of this: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8423241.stm

From douggie1983 on Twitter:   "Easy to see why Newcastle and Boro both went down - passing is terrible."

From expertlfcfan on 606:  "Toon v Boro should be played as part of Premier League 2 in future. The size of the clubs in the Championship deserve some extra coverage and revenue from matches like this on the BBC."

expertlfcfan? Maybe Liverpool will be in 'Premier League 2' in the future the way they are playing!

Once upon a time we were playing great, beautiful, cavalier attacking football, but managed to lose a 12 point lead at the top of the Premiership. Anyone who thinks this current 10 point lead means anything should have a good long think about that. I can see Nottingham Forest giving us a bit of a scare come Easter time.

Just got back from the game - loved the xmas atmosphere! comfortable win, capped off by a brilliant 2nd half. man of the match could have went to enrique, coloccini, guthrie or jonas - the whole team was great!!

Nah, did you not hear? We were wretched.