Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

He was totally, totally invisible today. Norwich's wingers were getting crosses past him all game long, and as usual he couldn't pass over 5 yards to save his fucking life. As bad as Williamson was today at least he didn't completely shirk his responsibilities the way Simpson did.

There was one moment in the game when a Norwich player was running with the ball on our right flank towards the penalty area. Simpson is backing backing backing backing... and is inside the penalty area, at the same time he's instructing and shouting at Ben Arfa to close him down and Ben Arfa is running from an attacking position as fast as he can to close him down. When the situation is over Ben Arfa goes to Simpson and wondering that he's doing. I can understand him.

Aye lots saw that, utterly bizarre moment. He wasnt even covering anything. His decision making is all over the place at times.

Last year when he came back into the side at West Ham away, it was such a relief to see him there after putting up with Perch. Then he made some good progress, but he's really stagnated and haven't seen him progress at all this year. Good backup player, however don't see him sticking around for that.

Guest neesy111

Never seen a professional footballer need so many touches when he collects a ball.  Did alright but again offered just about zilch going forward with the movement of a panda.

I think the situation is best summarised by just acknowledging that he's, at best, a lower-end-of-the-table Premier League right back or a Championship one. Nowhere near as bad as people on here make out, but at best I'd call him competent. I concur with the sentiment that if we want to kick on as regular European contenders there shouldn't be a place for him in the side, barring a Perch-esque improvement.

I think the situation is best summarised by just acknowledging that he's, at best, a lower-end-of-the-table Premier League right back or a Championship one. Nowhere near as bad as people on here make out, but at best I'd call him competent. I concur with the sentiment that if we want to kick on as regular European contenders there shouldn't be a place for him in the side, barring a Perch-esque improvement.

I agree completely with this!

One thing I don't like is when him and Willo get abuse on match day, one way to make a player even worse...abuse him...Great!

I agree completely with this!

One thing I don't like is when him and Willo get abuse on match day, one way to make a player even worse...abuse him...Great!

There is abuse when any player makes a mistake in a game. For example just before Cabaye played that long ball for Cisse to try and lob the Norwich keeper, Colo gave the ball straight to a Norwich player and there was a loud groan. No player is immune from it. Williamson deserved any abuse he got for pissing about on the edge of the box, it could easily have cost us a goal. 

I don't mind a groan or two, but it boils my pish when people start booing and abusing players. Rather they were more positive and gave them a gee up instead! A couple of us had a go at our Football coach a few weeks ago for the same thing as the whole team was getting peed off at his ranting negatively, he's changed a bit and it makes you feel ten times better...

I agree with the sentiment, but that is an idealist approach. If people are paying good money on a regular basis to watch the likes of Simpson make the same mistakes over and over then they are bound to get wound up. If you did your job as badly as Simpson has over an extended period of time, you wouldn't be employed anymore. I don't get off on abusing our own players particularly myself, but at the same time I am not going to get worked up if other people chose to do the same. Often they are saying exactly what I am thinking, it is just I am more passive about these things than they might be.

I agree with the sentiment, but that is an idealist approach. If people are paying good money on a regular basis to watch the likes of Simpson make the same mistakes over and over then they are bound to get wound up. If you did your job as badly as Simpson has over an extended period of time, you wouldn't be employed anymore. I don't get off on abusing our own players particularly myself, but at the same time I am not going to get worked up if other people chose to do the same. Often they are saying exactly what I am thinking, it is just I am more passive about these things than they might be.

Fair point! Suppose if we put it into context that they get paid 40 grand or whatever a week to perform to a high level we have a reason to be not cheerful :)

Guest firetotheworks

He runs with the ball like he's jumping from one stepping stone to another, whilst concentrating on trying to desperately avoid the lava.

Made a couple of good tackles yesterday but fucking hell man, that time he got turned just before their off side goal, and the time in the second half when he was running back towards our goal and just hit it aimlessly into the centre of the pitch with his left.

Part of the frustration for me is how players like Santon and Cisse get criticized publicly by Pardew despite doing little wrong and Simpson only ever gets defended. I assume they're quite close off the pitch?

He also needs Simpson to be confident and happy, because there aren't any other options.

Guest schmuck

Part of the frustration for me is how players like Santon and Cisse get criticized publicly by Pardew despite doing little wrong and Simpson only ever gets defended. I assume they're quite close off the pitch?

It's because we can expect more from Santon and Cisse

What sort of defender runs away from an opposing payer with his back to him? I've lost words as to how bad this guy is.

And for those saying he'd be ideal as 'backup' because all he needs is a bit of competition- well, he couldn't cut it in the Championship so the mere fact that he's completely out of his depth will not change with competition, and neither will learning the basics of defending and intelligence.

Woeful player, get rid ASAP.

Guest icemanblue

Aye, fuck this lad off, like. I'll support him for the rest of the season, but then we have to get rid. Not even good enough for backup.

He can't play football. :lol: