Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Steven Taylor takes backing off to the next level like, 4-5 times in the past 3 games he's had a centre forward running at him and he's led them from about 40 yards out to the end of his 18 yard line.

You have to have balance.

He was f***ing rubbish man :lol: if running backwards was an Olympic event

All defenders back off at times, it's coached into them that they don't dive in and take themselves out of the game. 

Well he listened well to that part then.

Was always a very decent and capable defender. Unfashionable because technically he was very limited, a little pressure and he would hoof it.  Going forward his crossing was awful.  But he could actually defend and fairly handy in the air for a fullback.  Off the pitch he seems a bad egg but around the football club he seemed decent. On the pitch he gives it his all. He's shown in a couple of seasons he can be a part of a very organised and determined back four - that speaks to his character.  The stick he got was OTT.  He was never as bad as Janmaat has been this season. 

On another note I think we've really missed Dummett these last couple of months. By a mile the most solid FB at the club and he's the best defensive header of the ball at the club.  He gets his head on a good number of defensive corner and free kicks and we've looked even more vulnerable from set pieces without him. Another with s great attitude on the pitch.

People were hardly wrong at the time like :lol:

Him and Williamson in defence next to each other was an eyesore and he'd probably be no better than Janmaat if he was still here.

Janmaat and Taylor are equally as poor at present if not worse... :lol:

Aye I completely agree, we're just shit though. Janmaat would look a lot better if he was playing for Leicester than he does here.

I don't think they'd be winning the title if Janmaat was there like. He quite often goes missing and is individually culpable for a lot of the goals we concede. No amount of organisation can make a player give a shit. Janmaat just doesn't care about defending enough. It's not his thing.

You'd have said the same thing about Danny Simpson (or any other player in the world for that matter) 8 months ago.

No I wouldn't, even when he was here I always thought his weakness was going forward, not defending. He's still fairly ordinary but he's solid which means he can form part of a solid defence. Janmaat is defensively unreliable so he wouldn't be part of a successful defence. At least not the way he's performed for us.

Not really defending Taylor or Simpson regarding their backing off, but no-one has ever really advanced an alternative option. If you are the last line of defence, it's quite tough to push up on a player quicker than you and try and pinch the ball. It isn't necessarily a terrible tactic if you are trying to buy some time.

I saw Morgan in the Copa America where Jamaica lost each game 1-0, and he played very well. Then he went to the Gold Cup and lost in the final. Another quality performance from him. I think playing at that higher level plus coming off that end to the Premier League season has elevated his levels. I'm happy for him.

You'd have said the same thing about Danny Simpson (or any other player in the world for that matter) 8 months ago.

No I wouldn't, even when he was here I always thought his weakness was going forward, not defending. He's still fairly ordinary but he's solid which means he can form part of a solid defence. Janmaat is defensively unreliable so he wouldn't be part of a successful defence. At least not the way he's performed for us.

His weakness here was obviously going forward but that's pretty irrelevant as we were also tragic at the defending lark too, no better or worse than we are now. He hardly covered himself in consistent glory.

Not a single person realistically thought Jamie Vardie, Wes Morgan, Rob Huth, Danny Simpson, Danny Drinkwater and Marc Albrighton would form the majority of a title winning Premiership team, it's beyond comprehension. I don't think you can say with any conviction that Daryl Janmaat either improves or weakens that side had he been there from the start. You can say that for pretty much any player in the Premiership tbh. 7 of the players in their starting XI were nearly relegated last season ffs :lol:

Not really defending Taylor or Simpson regarding their backing off, but no-one has ever really advanced an alternative option. If you are the last line of defence, it's quite tough to push up on a player quicker than you and try and pinch the ball. It isn't necessarily a terrible tactic if you are trying to buy some time.

I agree that you have to jockey attackers to buy time for players to get back in but you don't back off into your own area. As soon as they're in the final third and in a central position where they can shoot you should be standing your ground.

So f***, as an all round full back he's bang average if that. Let's all try and look git clever by saying we were wrong for rightfully f***ing him off in favour of the infinitely better Debuchy though.

Debuchy is better like. I'll give you that... :lol:

A lot of people were arguing Janmaat was better than Debuchy last season tbf.

FWIW I'm not saying Janmaat is better or worse than Danny Simpson (or Debuchy), he's been horrible bar a handful of decent attacking displays this season. I just think this conversation is pretty daft given Leicester have been a complete anomaly.