Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

At some point last season weren't some people advocating his selection for England, on form?

Yeah some people were being ridiculous!

Can't understand comments of "he's good enough for where we are now". How is the worst starting right back in the league good enough for us unless we're hoping to finish bottom?

Have you been taking crack?!  Worst RB in the PL?  Howay man, take yer heid for a s****.

Have to just echo this, crazy statement.

Guest CheickMansour

At some point last season weren't some people advocating his selection for England, on form?

Can't understand comments of "he's good enough for where we are now". How is the worst starting right back in the league good enough for us unless we're hoping to finish bottom?

Don't see how you can say Simpson is the worst RB in the league tbh. Just compare him to the other british RBs, and you'll see he comes out quite well.

Again, it would be great to get an upgrade. But as someone else put it earlier, striker and backup/replacement LB is priority, and possibly right-wing depending on how the Barton situation pans out. After that, we can think about replacing Simpson.

Have you been taking crack?!  Worst RB in the PL?  Howay man, take yer heid for a s****.

Me too, completely absurd thing to say.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Who was a worse starting RB in the PL last season?

Steven Carr

Guest Rey Mysterio

Steven Carr

Not a chance. He was fucking gash when he was with us like but was far from being as bad as Simpson last year.

Steven Carr

Tbf, he did have a decent season for Brum.

Steven Carr

Not a chance. He was fucking gash when he was with us like but was far from being as bad as Simpson last year.

Don't know why we're even discussing this, Simpson had a good season by all accounts.

Steven Carr

Not a chance. He was f***ing gash when he was with us like but was far from being as bad as Simpson last year.

Don't know why we're even discussing this, Simpson had a good season by all accounts.

Aye. Tailed off towards the end of the season though but definitely exceeded all expectations and had a decent season.

Simpson definitely needs to be replaced in the first team. Personally can't stand to see a fullback back off as much as he does when someone runs at him, it's pretty disgraceful as it gives the opposition player the freedom to do what they want, something which visibly cost us a good number of goals last season. The only area where he's good defensively is intercepting a pass, even if it's last ditch - but once the opposition winger has the ball at his feet, all bets are off.

He's rubbish coming forward too, and is one of the primary reasons why most of our play came down the left flank last season. When you combine this with his (at times) gash defending, I'd say it's pretty much a priority to get a replacement in, and it probably explains why he was loaned out to a Championship side last season, as he still looks a Championship standard fullback imo.

The only upside is that at 24 he's still relatively "young" for a defender and may have room for improvement given that last season was his first full top flight season as a starter. But then we've all heard that "potential" line numerous times for various young/learning/inexperienced-despite-being-nearly-mid-20's players in the past, and very few of them have actually improved or show any signs of doing so (Bramble, Jenas, S.Taylor, Williamson, etc).

Guest Rey Mysterio

Yeah he had a decent season, I don't know the ins and outs of every right back in the league, like, but he definatly wasn't so bad that he can out right be called "the worst right back in the league."

He's not very quick, he's awful in possession and can't defend. I've said it before but seriously would play Ryan Taylor ahead of him as at least he is fairly comfortable on the ball and has good delivery from open play.

Ryan Tyalor's comfortable on the ball in a stationary position, or if he's lucky enough that someone else has done all the work while he waits for the ball to be delivered to him in a good crossing position. And he's shite at everything else. Fucking Taylor over Simpson, man. :lol:

Danny Simpson CAN defend though, we've seen with Perch (and Taylor) what a RB who cannot defend is like. And most fullbacks in the league aren't wizzards up and down the wing, it's just the fact people seem to think our RB should be a carbon copy of Enrique.

Guest Rey Mysterio

What makes Simpson a better right back than Ryan Taylor?

The fact that he's actually a right back?

OK then, what attributes does Danny Simpson have that make him a better option to play right back than Ryan Taylor?

Danny Simpson CAN defend though, we've seen with Perch (and Taylor) what a RB who cannot defend is like. And most fullbacks in the league aren't wizzards up and down the wing, it's just the fact people seem to think our RB should be a carbon copy of Enrique.

I wouldn't say no to a right sided Enrique like.

OK then, what attributes does Danny Simpson have that make him a better option to play right back than Ryan Taylor?

Faster, fitter, can actually defend?

Or maybe I should just say "is not Ryan Taylor" and we can be done with it.

Guest Rey Mysterio

Faster, fitter, can actually defend?

Or maybe I should just say "is not Ryan Taylor" and we can be done with it.

Simpson's a shocking defender man. Don't think he's particularly faster than Taylor, if he is it would be marginal. Fitter, I wouldn't know so I'll give you that one.