Why are rugby people so sanctimonious/superior ?

Benwell Lad

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I watched some rugby league this year when Warrington won some cup. Worst skill standard I've seen in a competitive sport. They can't even catch a f***ing ball between them. I used to think American Football was s*** but then I recognised the athleticism of the players and respected the fact that the great running backs of the game were young kids who learnt their skill by running away from the police; now nobody can catch those suckers. Rugby is a low skill game, s**** to watch, it simulates buuggery on the pitch, it's shitter than Americna Football by fae in terms of skill/athleticism, it's f***ing dire.

You sound like one of those weedy kids at school who's never played sport.

You sound like an absolute moron who's about 32 with a beer belly and 2 kids he didn't plan on having.

I watched some rugby league this year when Warrington won some cup. Worst skill standard I've seen in a competitive sport. They can't even catch a f***ing ball between them. I used to think American Football was s*** but then I recognised the athleticism of the players and respected the fact that the great running backs of the game were young kids who learnt their skill by running away from the police; now nobody can catch those suckers. Rugby is a low skill game, s**** to watch, it simulates buuggery on the pitch, it's shitter than Americna Football by fae in terms of skill/athleticism, it's f***ing dire.

You sound like one of those weedy kids at school who's never played sport.

You sound like an absolute moron who's about 32 with a beer belly and 2 kids he didn't plan on having.

33 actually.

There has to be a certain level of tactical intelligence involved in a sport where the only way to move forwards is by passing backwards surely? The yanks get one littler fella to throw the ball the length of the pitch to another littler fella whilst the bigger chaps clobber s**** out of each other. It's a disgrace they are allowed to call it football

No, it just means whoever made the rules is f***ing stupid.

Righto. Rules are clearly stupid in sport. Lets do away with free kicks then.

There has to be a certain level of tactical intelligence involved in a sport where the only way to move forwards is by passing backwards surely? The yanks get one littler fella to throw the ball the length of the pitch to another littler fella whilst the bigger chaps clobber s**** out of each other. It's a disgrace they are allowed to call it football

Nah, football is good.

Nah, football is good.

:lol: I'll put you down for my petition to the RFU for implementing a no hands and forward passing rule then shall I? Reckon I'll tell the Lawn tennis association to put one of them nets they have at either end and ditch the rackets whilst i'm at it.

Nah, football is good.

:lol: I'll put you down for my petition to the RFU for implementing a no hands and forward passing rule then shall I? Reckon I'll tell the Lawn tennis association to put one of them nets they have at either end and ditch the rackets whilst i'm at it.

Hark at the rugger-buggers getting all sanctimonious about their backward rules...

Nah, football is good.

Hark at the rugger-buggers getting all sanctimonious about their backward rules...

Aye....I'm just a fan of both sports and can't see why we can't just get along? If they can unify Sein Fein and the Unionists why not the football and the dark side?

Nah, football is good.

Far better just "no rugby"

They used to say the difference between Football and Rugby was that:

• Football is a sport played by gentlemen, watched by hooligans.
  • Rugby is a sport played by hooligans, watched by gentlemen.

These days though, with the likes of Bowyer, Barton, Pennant, Diouf etc I'm not so sure about that anymore.  :undecided: I think these days it's maybe more like:

• Football is a sport played by hooligans, watched by hooligans.
  • Rugby is a sport played by homosexuals, watched by ex-public school boys.

These days though, with the likes of Bowyer, Barton, Pennant, Diouf etc I'm not so sure about that anymore.  :undecided: I think these days it's maybe more like:

Got to correct you there. I think the original saying was that rugby was a hooligan's game played by gentlemen, and football was a gentleman's game played by hooligans.

However, since professionalism came into rugby union, it's looked more and more like a hooligan's game played by hooligans.

On the theme of arguing with referees, it seems to be tolerated in football to a far higher degree than in any other sport. It could be so easily cut down if the authorities were to get tough on a consistent basis. A good start would be cutting down on situations like we saw with Pogatetz on Sunday, where he ignored the referee when he wanted to talk to him. If they walk away from the ref like that, give them a red. That would cut it out in no time.

There's just a culture created in Rugby where it's unheard of to argue with the ref. If you do it you're looked down on even by your own team. I guess that might have developed from the public schools originally, but everyone who plays is affected by it.

There is also a very handy tool in the referee's bag that let him move a Free Kick 10 yards up field for disent. Amazing how quickly your team mates shut you up if the mouth starts runnning and you start giving up yards.

It's a great tool because it's not drastic like sending a player off (or to sin bin) but still penalises the offender.

Got to correct you there. I think the original saying was that rugby was a hooligan's game played by gentlemen, and football was a gentleman's game played by hooligans.

However, since professionalism came into rugby union, it's looked more and more like a hooligan's game played by hooligans.

On the theme of arguing with referees, it seems to be tolerated in football to a far higher degree than in any other sport. It could be so easily cut down if the authorities were to get tough on a consistent basis. A good start would be cutting down on situations like we saw with Pogatetz on Sunday, where he ignored the referee when he wanted to talk to him. If they walk away from the ref like that, give them a red. That would cut it out in no time.

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding there - you sanctimonious, superior, condescending bastard...  :lol:

...I bet you love rugby.   :pow: :lol:

I thought the 10 yard rule really would help football but we used it all wrong. Why stop at one offence, keep on moving up the pitch soon stop the moaning. And if it is in and around the penalty area the team with the free kick should be able to choose if they want the 10 yards or not. For example Beckham is more useful 25-30 yards out rather than 18 yards.

I think Sin Binning would be a good option in football.

I like football and rugby union and league. Am I the only one?

No I do. I do miss Friday night RL games.

And me.

I'm probably the biggest rugby league fan on here and I can honestly say I've not heard the superiority thing from any fans I know. The 'public school boy' thing is mainly to do with Union.

Never really understood the argument about footballers being soft either. In comparison to rugby players, they are, but that's because rugby players train for years to get into the mental and physical condition to be able to take the hits whereas footballers don't.

Do you have a team Ash are do you just like watching RL?

I have a team, not that I've watched much RL from them over the last couple of seasons. :lol:

Guessing you just like watching or do you follow a team?

Do you have a team Ash are do you just like watching RL?

I have a team, not that I've watched much RL from them over the last couple of seasons. :lol:

Guessing you just like watching or do you follow a team?

I like watching it most of my favorite players come from the great Wigan teams pre-super league. I wish could bet against a try being given every time Stevo says "Its T-R-Y time...100% for me".

the thing with basketball, american football and rugby to an extent is that you don't necessarily need to be talented if you have the right physical attributes, hence the boasting about rugby's superior fitness levels, how it is 'worse' for rugby players etc. on the other hand you can be the strongest, fastest, fittest bastard on the planet and still be completely shit at football and get rings run round you by a fat, lazy, soft shite who just happens to know how to trap a ball.

the thing with basketball, american football and rugby to an extent is that you don't necessarily need to be talented if you have the right physical attributes, hence the boasting about rugby's superior fitness levels, how it is 'worse' for rugby players etc. on the other hand you can be the strongest, fastest, fittest b****** on the planet and still be completely s*** at football and get rings run round you by a fat, lazy, soft s**** who just happens to know how to trap a ball.

The reason why football is the best and hardest sport in the world is one simple fact. You use you friggin feet! How easy is it to do something with your hands. I wouldn't wank half as much if I had to use my feet!