Real Madrid weigh up bid for Fabricio Coloccini

Thespence

Guest Stephen927

For his career it might best for him to leave now if he gets a decent offer. Can't help but think that he'll get turned inside out every week if we get promoted, and might well look like a shambles again.

Hope I'm wrong of course.

This is the feeling I get. I have grown to him this season but it is very important to remember the standard of this league compared to the top flight.

I think it's always been a mental thing with Coloccini. Next year, the 08/09 Colo will make one mistake and that'll be it - back in the doldrums. But relegation and this season might have changed him a little bit in that respect, and his head won't go down as much. Besides, whilst the strikers in this league are hardly great, it's still the English game and it won't have hindered his adapting from other leagues.

For his career it might best for him to leave now if he gets a decent offer. Can't help but think that he'll get turned inside out every week if we get promoted, and might well look like a shambles again.

This is the feeling I get. I have grown to him this season but it is very important to remember the standard of this league compared to the top flight.

But didn't Coloccini play well at the start of last season against the likes of Man Utd for example? I think it has to do more with confidence than with ability and that with the confidence he gains this season he will be a much better player next season.

But didn't Coloccini play well at the start of last season against the likes of Man Utd for example? I think it has to do more with confidence than with ability and that with the confidence he gains this season he will be a much better player next season.

Think you've got a fair point as well, it's amazing how confidence can transform players. Look at how Titus Bramble was doing recently.

I hope you're right, and I hope Colo stays. All I'm saying is that he might want to cash in when his reputation is pretty much restored.

Guest Stephen927

I hope so as we are obviously shelling out quite a lot of money for him atm, it would benefit both us and him if he could get some good form together in the top flight. Assuming we go up, it will be his second season in the top flight, Vidic and Evra took a year to get going (probably less) and hes got some experience of lower level football too.

We will see, I hope he goes and does the business next season if all goes well for the club.

I hope so as we are obviously shelling out quite a lot of money for him atm, it would benefit both us and him if he could get some good form together in the top flight. Assuming we go up, it will be his second season in the top flight, Vidic and Evra took a year to get going (probably less) and hes got some experience of lower level football too.

We will see, I hope he goes and does the business next season if all goes well for the club.

I think that's a good point that's often overlooked about Coloccini. I don't think he settled in very well last season, and that's not uncommon for foreign players going to English clubs. When that's piled on top of all the uncertainty, the managerial changes, and the fact that the whole team was struggling, it's hard to imagine that he was going to have an outstanding season.

I have faith that he's going to come good for us in the Premiership next year, if he's still with us.

Tbf, it's a team game, its about creating a defensive unit, who help each other out, Id imagine theres times Coloccini has bailed others out. I think we are a right back away from a solid back line if I'm honest.

Spot on.

You only have to look at Man City to see that good individuals don't automatically make a good defence. They have top class defenders with pace, power and experience but they let in bucketloads because they don't defend as a unit or as a team.

Of course defences need a leader and it's true that they can leak goals when a key man is taken out, but I think that's often as much to do with the unit losing its balance and understanding. You rarely see one defender come in and shake up a leaky back four do you? A defence is a unit and this season Coloccini has been part of a solid unit - he deserves credit for that.

We should keep mind of the level we're playing at mind. He may well get exposed in the Premiership again, but I'd give him a chance on this season's form, keeping the same back four always builds an understanding. We were once playing Champions League football with Andy O'Brien for f*ck sake - it's about building a unit which has a strong understanding and for the first time in years we might just have that. Should promotion come and the rebuilding starts then let's get some defensive cover before we go selling, and get some midfielders in.

Fabricio Coloccini pledges future to Newcastle

Jan 9 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

FABRICIO COLOCCINI has revealed that he will be relieved when the January transfer window slams shut.

Fabricio Coloccini

The Newcastle United centre-back says he would not leave St James’ Park – even for global giants Real Madrid.

The Argentina international was linked heavily with a move away from Gallowgate during the summer.

And already there has been talk in Spain that a move back to the sunshine of La Liga is beckoning during the winter window, with Espanyol having the defender on their wishlist.

Now Coloccini has indicated his desire to remain on Tyneside – and, if United do reclaim their place in the Premier League later this year, he wants to be part of it after enduring relegation with the Magpies last season.

Coloccini is keen to kill off fresh talk of a move away from Newcastle and told the Chronicle today: “Maybe the club have received some offers, but we spoke together, and it was more important to stay – for me and the club.

“That’s something that I wanted to do after last season.

“Playing in the lower league has been different, but it has made me appreciate playing at the top level.

“But I told Chris Hughton my intentions and how I want to help us get back to the top.

“Chris is a very good man.

“He’s a good manager, but more importantly also a good man – we see that in the games.”

Last July, when United parted company with big names like Seb Bassong, Habib Beye, Damien Duff, Michael Owen, Mark Viduka and Obafemi Martins, Coloccini was hotly tipped to join them, with the £10m man’s lucrative salary taking up much of Hughton’s Premier League-style wage budget.

Coloccini, though, has made his feelings clear. As he spoke of speculation in Spain over his future, he quipped: “I wouldn’t leave – even for Real Madrid!

“In Spain, at Christmas and New Year, they don’t play and there is a lot of talk.

“The newspapers have to write something – maybe 14 names.

“I have my focus here, and I tell you again, I want to go up, because this is a big club.

“We have very good fans – the best in England – and they need their club back in the Premier League.”

Meanwhile, with United having to train at St James’ Park in the last couple of days because of the severe weather conditions at their Benton base, Coloccini is enjoying a change of scenery after becoming accustomed to warm weather in Spain and Argentina.

He said: “We’ve trained indoors, and outside sometimes.

“It’s OK – we enjoy it.

“It’s different to Spain.

“I played in Villarreal, where there is no snow. It was the same in Coruna. Alves – maybe snow one day.

“The work we do in training, we can see th eresults on the pitch, and that’s very important.

“The mood in the changing room is very good.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/09/fabricio-coloccini-pledges-future-to-newcastle-72703-25560786/

I'd expect players to want to play for Real Madrid to be honest.  I'm a Newcastle fan so obviously biased but if I played for Villa or Everton (not that we are anywhere near these teams anymore) there's no way I'd turn down a Real Madrid move.  Loyalty is all well and good but I can't help but think he likes the money here.

Maybe I'm just cynical.

Maybe the club have received some offers, but we spoke together, and it was more important to stay – for me and the club.

That'll be why Kilgallon decided against it, then. Probably told originally that he would be first choice with Coloccini leaving.

Maybe the club have received some offers, but we spoke together, and it was more important to stay – for me and the club.

That'll be why Kilgallon decided against it, then. Probably told originally that he would be first choice with Coloccini leaving.

or perhaps kilgallon thinks someone like everton or villa will pick him up on a free in the summer

Guest Roger Kint

Now why on earth would he think that? He'd get more games as our 3rd choice centre-back than at those clubs.

He would get more money at most clubs going as a free transfer at the end of the year, thats why he thinks that

Now why on earth would he think that? He'd get more games as our 3rd choice centre-back than at those clubs.

well everton are rumoured to be intrested but they're broke so cant buy him so he sits tight and waits and see who comes in for him at the end of the season and picks up a nice signing on fee in the process when he does find a club

Guest Roger Kint

I really don't think clubs are going to turn around and say to someone like Kilgallon here's an extra £10-20k a week just because they had no transfer fee.

Do you know for a fact what he is on and what we were going to offer? None of us have any idea what he will/could get

Guest schmuck

I really don't think clubs are going to turn around and say to someone like Kilgallon here's an extra £10-20k a week just because they had no transfer fee.

no but he'd get a bigger signing on fee

Bobby Moncur prefers Kilgallon apparently. Of course he also thinks S Taylor is a better player than Woodgate was in his time here, the clueless idiot.

Fantastic if Colo stays long term, his attitude has really won me over this season.

Bobby Moncur prefers Kilgallon apparently. Of course he also thinks S Taylor is a better player than Woodgate was in his time here, the clueless idiot.

Fantastic if Colo stays long term, his attitude has really won me over this season.

:lol: