Newcastle United 0 - 0 Derby County - 28/12/09 - post match reaction from p12

Dave

Dear Chris Hughton,

I hope you are enjoying the football management for dummies book I bought you, clearly you`ve not read past the school playtime chapter. Throwing a striker on every ten minutes is not the way in grown ups football.  I have watched the last two outings against two of the worst teams in the division and have a few pointers for you, I hope you dont mind. First up, inbetween the four lads at the back and the two up front are the MIDFIELD players. As their name suggests they play in MIDFIELD, they link the four at the back to the two at the front. It is not necessary for Mr Harper or his four pals to send the ball up to the opposition third in the hope the two strikers may get a hold of it, you may consider using the four in MIDFIELD. Secondly, there is a reason why every football manager - except you - who has a game on boxing day has a training session on christmas day, its because they take the game seriously. It allows them to talk about tactics (Chapter two) and check they are sober at 5pm, unfortunatley this year Mr Nolan and his pals were allowed to overdo the mincepies and mint baileys, no surprise we dropped 4 points. Finally could you please during games consider bringing Mr Gutherie into centre midfield alongside Mr Smth and pushing Mr Nolan upfront to support the main striker, this would allow us to rape the league.

Many thanks

Geordie Claus

:lol:

Dreadful result against a dreadful side. To not start shola and guthrie was asking for what we've ended up with.

Shola was dog shit when he came on though. All those Ronaldinho like flicks that either went to no-one or bounced back off his other leg.

Shola is one of the worst players to bring off the bench when you need a goal because he's got absolutely no fucking urgency about him whatsoever. Should have started given his good form, got a goal, haul him off after an hour.

The two strikers that started the match were awful throughout. Nothing stuck, they didn't link up with any midfielder...although admittedly two of those were Ryan Taylor and Nolan. We started off well and had the forwards had anything about them we'd have got a couple of goals in the first 20 mins.

It was just as cack sitting in a pub 310 miles away. I watched it with a Dirty Rotten Red.... first time he's seen Championship football ( as against Champions League  :iamatwat:).. he said he was quite impressed with the standard. Must have been pissed or being polite as it's Xmas. The most frustrating game I've seen since.... err...  Sheffield Wednesday. If Forest continue their current form we'll be 3rd at the end of the season.

I doubt Guthrie would have made that run though, hed have tried to get closer to the ball than Rtaylor was

agree with the first part. taylor movement in the first half was very good.

is there an alan smith overhead kick thread yet ? just as pointless as butt's and followed up seconds later with a completly free header directed straight back down the pitch into the one place on the pitch that was furthest away from all our players.

Guest palnese

The pace of the game, bar the first 20 mins, is the lowest I've ever seen. Imagine what someone like Lee Bowyer could have done to our midfield.

If there was anything positive to take from this result it's that the management must have got the clear message that the January transfer window must be used for strengthening if this mid-term lead isn't going to be squandered.

:laugh:

Why oh why did CH take off the one striker that was causing Derby real problems (i.e. Carroll)? He was right to bring on a striker but it seemed obvious that Lovenkrands was not having a good day at the office and should have been the one to make way.

Bar Lovenkrands one shot he did pretty much nothing of note and as soon as Carroll went off we created mucless. Carroll and Shola together was obviously the way to go in this instance.

Its the same with Harewood i just don't see the attraction.

Harper 8 - Couple of top draw saves

Simpson 6 Solid at times. But nothing special, especially going forward. They got over alot of crosses from the right.

Taylor 7 - Solid in deffence, bad miss.

Collo 7- Good

Enrique 7.5 - Clearly too good for this league did get a little sloppy late on.

Jonas 7.5 - Ran the ball out of defence well. Got alot of free kicks.

Smith 5 Certainly nothing special

Nolan 6.5 OK got in some good forward positions and had a few good/half decent chances. Magic scoring knack deserted him.

Raylor 6 Unlucky hitting the bar with a fantastic free kick, should have scored his one on one. Needed more from him. (suffering from lack of games possibly?)

Lovenkrands 5 Poor did very little.

Carroll 7 Did well creating for others as usual. Loads of knock downs won and in particular good chip to set S. Taylor up + couple of efforts himself and he should have had a penalty.

Shola 5 Poor (arguably should have started though).

Ranger 6.5 Lively ish

Pancrate 6.5 Lively

Sunderland fan Clive Hetherington has the following headline above his article "Ghosts of '96 begin to haunt Toon" in the Daily Mail

Whole family are bunch sports journalists all fucking mackem fans, his brother Paul writes for the comic known as the Daily Star.

If there was anything positive to take from this result it's that the management must have got the clear message that the January transfer window must be used for strengthening if this mid-term lead isn't going to be squandered.

:laugh:

http://xspblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/bfo-rlmente.jpg

Sunderland fan Clive Hetherington has the following headline above his article "Ghosts of '96 begin to haunt Toon" in the Daily Mail

Whole family are bunch sports journalists all f***ing mackem fans, his brother Paul writes for the comic known as the Daily Star.

HA HA, fucktards.

Like we were ever going to maintain a 13 pt lead in this division.

Anyone who thought we would needs to give their heads a shake.

Top of the league by 6pts or whatever, with WBA, Forest and Cardiff to come hear.

Any team in this league would swap that right now.

Sky were making an uber deal out of it during the game and now the media are getting a massive hard on.  We haven't lost in ages, playing through a bad patch and not losing is a positive!

Is it just me who is becoming increasingly peeved by Steven Taylor's ridiculously no-nonsense defending? There's a time and place for putting it in row z but that time and place is not necessarily every single time the ball comes anywhere near you.

Is it just me who is becoming increasingly peeved by Steven Taylor's ridiculously no-nonsense defending? There's a time and place for putting it in row z but that time and place is not necessarily every single time the ball comes anywhere near you.

No, I made several angry posts about him a few pages back. One moment...

Wullie:

Steven Taylor was so fucking frustrating, giving away fouls when he didn't need to. The amount of times he does something rash is bloody ridiculous. That missed chance just made him worse as well, going in twice as fucking hard to try and compensate.

A complete and utter nugget who needs to be taken down a peg, because the fans all think he's a nugget too.

Steven Taylor is the footballing equivalent of Muse. Not bad, quite good at times, but everything is just far too epic, far too over the top. Taylor seems to think he's the captain, always fucking pointing, or shouting, or trying to look like he knows what he's doing.

Missing that chance fucked up our last ten minutes, because Taylor kept charging out of defence when he didn't need to and giving away a foul on the halfway line. He winds me up so much, I just wish he'd fuck off and just play football instead of trying to endear himself to the fans.

Wullie:

Steven Taylor was so f***ing frustrating, giving away fouls when he didn't need to. The amount of times he does something rash is bloody ridiculous. That missed chance just made him worse as well, going in twice as f***ing hard to try and compensate.

A complete and utter nugget who needs to be taken down a peg, because the fans all think he's a nugget too.

Steven Taylor is the footballing equivalent of Muse. Not bad, quite good at times, but everything is just far too epic, far too over the top. Taylor seems to think he's the captain, always f***ing pointing, or shouting, or trying to look like he knows what he's doing.

Missing that chance f***ed up our last ten minutes, because Taylor kept charging out of defence when he didn't need to and giving away a foul on the halfway line. He winds me up so much, I just wish he'd f*** off and just play football instead of trying to endear himself to the fans.

taylor doesn't appear to be the same player from the start of the season. now content to just clear whaever comes his way and doesn't like bringing the ball mout even with time and soace which was such a feature of his early season form.

Wullie:

Steven Taylor was so f***ing frustrating, giving away fouls when he didn't need to. The amount of times he does something rash is bloody ridiculous. That missed chance just made him worse as well, going in twice as f***ing hard to try and compensate.

Steven Taylor is the footballing equivalent of Muse. Not bad, quite good at times, but everything is just far too epic, far too over the top. Taylor seems to think he's the captain, always f***ing pointing, or shouting, or trying to look like he knows what he's doing.

Missing that chance f***ed up our last ten minutes, because Taylor kept charging out of defence when he didn't need to and giving away a foul on the halfway line. He winds me up so much, I just wish he'd f*** off and just play football instead of trying to endear himself to the fans.

taylor doesn't appear to be the same player from the start of the season. now content to just clear whaever comes his way and doesn't like bringing the ball mout even with time and soace which was such a feature of his early season form.

well atm we have Colo who is dallying on the ball too much (the past couple of games anyway).

Wullie:

well atm we have Colo who is dallying on the ball too much (the past couple of games anyway).

whats that got to do with taylor ?

Wullie:

Colo is the total opposite to him, if you play alongside someone repeatedly turning on the ball infront of you rown goal and getting caught, whilst getting the crowd on his back, you would perfer to stick the ball in to row z....i think its just the combination of the 2 tbh

Wullie:

Colo is the total opposite to him, if you play alongside someone repeatedly turning on the ball infront of you rown goal and getting caught, whilst getting the crowd on his back, you would perfer to stick the ball in to row z....i think its just the combination of the 2 tbh

totally disagree. defensivly another players limitations may have you covering more etc but i'd very much oubt that anything cocl done would have taylor stopping bringing the ball forward when given time and space. just seems more like he's strolling to be honest.

Just got back to Londonistan. Would have been really annoyed had I travelled to Newcastle just for the game as it was one of the worst excuses for football I'd seen in a long time, fortunately I was in the area seeing family so it wasn't a completely wasted journey.

For what it's worth I think had we stuck one of those chances away in the first half we would have gone on and won convincingly. I recorded the match and haven't had a chance to review it yet, and I really can't be bothered to read the whole match thread, but did the chance at the end go over the line, it certainly looked it from behind the goal where I was sitting.

We've got a pretty quiet month in terms of matches, especially if we get beat in the cup at plymouth, hopefully down to one match a week will give the players some time to recover and get firing again. Providing we don't lose anybody in January and can get one or two in, Harewood back would be a decent shout and maybe another defender and/or midfielder with a little experience to bolster the squad, then we should have enough to scrape promotion (and obviously get relegated again without major revamp on the squad).