Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

Has a professional club ever disbanded so that they physically no long exist in England before? Hasnt this happened in Italy before with Fiorentina before? what happened with those?

Wimbledon?

Nah they just moved to a stadium miles away, changed their name colours and badge. Despite a total transformation they're still the same company that was trading under the name Wimbledon FC.

Guest WashyGeordie

Hasnt this happened in Italy before with Fiorentina before? what happened with those?

2001 heralded major changes for Fiorentina, as the terrible state of the club's finances was revealed: they were unable to pay wages and had debts of around USD 50 million. The club's owner, Vittorio Cecchi Gori, was able to raise some more money, but even this soon proved to be insufficient resources to sustain the club. Fiorentina were relegated at the end of the 2001-02 season and went into judicially controlled administration in June 2002. This form of bankruptcy (sports companies cannot exactly fail in this way in Italy, but they can suffer a similar procedure) meant that the club was refused a place in Serie B for the 2002-03 season, and as a result effectively ceased to exist.

Della Valle era

The club was promptly re-established in August 2002 as Associazione Calcio Fiorentina e Florentia Viola with shoe and leather entrepreneur Diego Della Valle as new owner, and was admitted into Serie C2, the fourth tier of Italian football. The only player to remain at the club in its new incarnation was Angelo Di Livio, whose commitment to club's cause further endeared him to the fans. Helped by Di Livio and 30-goal striker Christian Riganò, the club won its Serie C2 group with considerable ease, which would normally have led to a promotion to Serie C1. However, due to the bizarre Caso Catania (Catania Case) the club skipped Serie C1 and was admitted into Serie B, something that was only made possible by the Italian Football Federation's decision to resolve the Catania situation by increasing the number of teams in Serie B from 20 to 24 and promoting Fiorentina for "sports merits"[5]. In the 2003 off-season, the club also bought back the right to use the Fiorentina name and the famous shirt design, and re-incorporated itself as ACF Fiorentina.

Portsmouth              Fifth new owner of the season?

Christ, what we would give for ONE decent new owner?

well its not like they've had a good one yet this season have they? If its all the same to you I'll take Ashley over any of their pack of morons

Surely the proper means test from the Premeir League is going to tell him to piss off, and even if he does buy the club, he's still got to get the money etc transferred from his backers and into the governemnt hands by Wednesday or Thursday, and he's still yet to even get support from them yet, it's just not going to happen in my opinion.

Portsmouth              Fifth new owner of the season?

Christ, what we would give for ONE decent new owner?

well its not like they've had a good one yet this season have they? If its all the same to you I'll take Ashley over any of their pack of morons

Yep - Bet Pompey fans would trade places with NUFC Lock, stock and league placement right now, and there is now way I'd trade places with them.

Has a professional club ever disbanded so that they physically no long exist in England before? Hasnt this happened in Italy before with Fiorentina before? what happened with those?

Boro either did, or were fucking close to, in '86. 

They did, declared bankrupcty or whatever and changed their name slightly.

Boro either did, or were f***ing close to, in '86. 

They did, declared bankrupcty or whatever and changed their name slightly.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,56978.msg2202811.html#msg2202811

bradford park avenue.

although leeds city were kicked out the league mid season for financial irregularities and then disappeared.

Guest neesy111

When is this decision due?

friday

today, they have to reveal their accounts because of another court action

today we will know exactly how much they owe etc, and whether they have any chance of saving themselves

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I can't decide if I want to see them disappear or not. It'd be sad to see a team go out of business, but it could set the precedent for other clubs in the Premier League. Though I won't hold my breath that'll effect Man U or Liverpool.

If Pompy do go, its going to throw the league wide open, and might even raise a lot of questions about the integrity of the Premier League.

Guest johnson293

When is this decision due?

friday

today, they have to reveal their accounts because of another court action

today we will know exactly how much they owe etc, and whether they have any chance of saving themselves

Is it really this friday?

This report on the BBC site mentions them needing to file their finances by 4.00pm today, but then says they will return to court on 1st March over the winding up petition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8519103.stm

So does that mean that even if the finances prove they are insolvent today, they may not be wound up until 1st March giving them another week or so to find a buyer, or could the winding up still happen this week (friday) ?