Portsmouth FC in yet more trouble - administration again?

GG

Portsmouth are an abomination of a club and in all honesty it's great to see them paying the price for their arrogance. When Keegan was manager here I recall they quite often pinched our transfer targets by offering stupid wages far beyond their means as a poorly supported football club. Even funnier that Harry Redknapp's signings have probably sunk them after the way he f***ed us about when he was there.

no doubt everton and spurs could say the same about us re traqnsfer targets and offering stupid wages.

Not really as we aren't a historically small club attempting to punch above our weight. We are a historically big club that theoretically should be able to compete with the best in England but due to incompetent management has ended up in the 2nd tier of English football.

we arent an historically big club. until 1993 we were a yo-yo club with very passionate suppost. and since 2004 have been a club on the drop and living on the minor glories of the recent past.

LOL, sure, we've got no history whatsover, never won owt, never had any big crowds ever, until KK came.

if other teams down the bottom are upset about pompey dealing outside the transfer window, couldnt the premiership just say "you're allowed to sell players and receive that money now, but you loan them til the summer"? that way, they get money, the buying club secures a signing for next season, yet theres no movement outside the window. its easily the best situation.

if other teams down the bottom are upset about pompey dealing outside the transfer window, couldnt the premiership just say "you're allowed to sell players and receive that money now, but you loan them til the summer"? that way, they get money, the buying club secures a signing for next season, yet theres no movement outside the window. its easily the best situation.

The transfer window applies to loans for Premier League clubs as well as transfers; if that was proposed they might as well go the whole hog and allow Pompey to make full transfers outside the window, because as the rules currently stand both loans and transfers are not an option at the moment anyway.

Portsmouth are an abomination of a club and in all honesty it's great to see them paying the price for their arrogance. When Keegan was manager here I recall they quite often pinched our transfer targets by offering stupid wages far beyond their means as a poorly supported football club. Even funnier that Harry Redknapp's signings have probably sunk them after the way he fucked us about when he was there.

See, this is what really gets my goat - and why I struggle to understand why any NUFC fan would have a shred of sympathy for Pompey's plight. Allow me to explain:

If Pompey hadn't spent so recklessly, and instead managed their affairs responsibly, wouldn't it be possible that they might not have been so competitive last season? It might be drawing a long bow, but it stands to reason that their spend-spend-spend policy played a part in us going down?

I'm not saying that it was wholly responsible for our relegation, but remember how tight it was, and yes Pompey finished seven points above us. But it stands to reason that those seven points were accrued by players that Pompey simply couldn't afford.

Which is just another reason why I say "Fuck Portsmouth"

The transfer window applies to loans for Premier League clubs as well as transfers; if that was proposed they might as well go the whole hog and allow Pompey to make full transfers outside the window, because as the rules currently stand both loans and transfers are not an option at the moment anyway.

Don't think I worded it well. On FM for example, any time outside the window you can buy players, you just can't get them til it re-opens. So say we wanted Boateng, we can give them a few million now to secure him, but obviously he stays there til the summer.

Pompey get the money now, yet nobody whinges that a player has moved outside the window.

Portsmouth's nine-point deduction unjust - Avram Grant 

Portsmouth manager Avram Grant claims his team's imminent nine-point deduction is unjust.

The Premier League will penalise bottom club Portsmouth for going into administration, and the result means their relegation is a near-certainty.

After seeing his side win 2-1 at Burnley, Grant thinks Pompey's fate should be decided solely on the field.

"Football should be decided on the pitch not in the courts, not in the Premier League offices," he said.

The Hampshire club's season of crisis, which has seen four changes of ownership, took another grim turn on Friday when Pompey became the first Premier League club in history to enter administration.

Premier League rules dictate that clubs entering administration are automatically deducted nine points.

With Grant's side already precariously positioned at the foot of the table on 19 points - five points adrift of safety - that would almost certainly result in the south coast side's drop to the Championship.

Former Chelsea boss Grant feels strongly that the Pompey faithful should not be made to suffer for the club's money problems.

"The fans should not be victims in this scenario," he said. "Of course, we should not be docked nine points.

"All my life I have been fighting for justice and in the interests of fair play, we need football to be decided on the field.

"Maybe someone, somewhere, will think about the fans, who have done nothing wrong."

The Israeli, though, was buoyed by his team's resilience on Saturday as Hassan Yebda's penalty earned them all three points at relegation rivals Burnley on Saturday.

"We are showing character. In spite of everything, we have won and I am very, very proud of the players," he said.

"In this situation it would be very easy to be in a negative mood and lay down and die, but we're not doing that.

"I'm very proud to be part of the Portsmouth family."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8540958.stm

First time I think he's got it wrong.

Guest toonlass

So when do the points get deducted?, shouldn't it happend by now?

It will probably happen on monday. FA have to meet about it first apparantly.

You'd have thought tehy'd sell teh rights to Sky with the action at Portsmouth and a Vast League table and them hauling down the number of points to date and replacing it with 9 less

they could have DIVINA McCALL yelling the commentary 'n aall

Guest Geordiesned

Debt announced by the Administrators as £78 million. Crazy sum when you consider how much they've made from outgoing transfers over the last couple of years.

Guest Stephen927

I rate Grant as a manager, respect him for not walking out and just keeping on with the job for the sake of the fans. He'd be well within his rights to walk now given the situation, but he'll be there till the end of the season I'd bet, unless they go bust.

The HMRC challenge to the administration is interesting, won't make the government popular in portsmouth.

Which is odd  but not surprising as everything I have read has shown it is being dealt with by civil servants.