Shearer as Bolton Manager?

Elric

There's no evidence to say he asked for stupid things, there's no evidence to say didn't.

I've looked at what happened over the summer with Hughton i.e. no money, and came to the reasonable conclusion that Shearer wasn't offered much.  Other than what was written in the papers which MAY have been right but also MAY have been wrong, what other evidence have you got to support you're argument that Shearer was unreasonable?

There's no evidence to say he asked for stupid things, there's no evidence to say didn't.

I've looked at what happened over the summer with Hughton i.e. no money, and came to the reasonable conclusion that Shearer wasn't offered much.  Other than what was written in the papers which MAY have been right but also MAY have been wrong, what other evidence have you got to support you're argument that Shearer was unreasonable?

He didn't get the job.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Personally, Bolton can have him. I would much rather have Speed as our manager than Shearer.

In my opinion, Shearer does not have the managerial ability, tactical know how to match his ever growing ego to cut the mustard with the likes of the top managers in our game. That was well and truly proven last season.

:mackems: :mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

Personally, Bolton can have him. I would much rather have Speed as our manager than Shearer.

In my opinion, Shearer does not have the managerial ability, tactical know how to match his ever growing ego to cut the mustard with the likes of the top managers in our game. That was well and truly proven last season.

Spin obviously thinks we are still in the premiership :idiot2:

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

2sheds still thinks Ashley and his cockney friends are gods.

2sheds still thinks Ashley and his cockney friends are gods.

Are you NE5 in disguise?

You have all the hallmarks of this former poster, the excessive use of the mackem smiley and the complete refusal to debate a single point.

Guest Phil K

Its the classic English answer to a problem - if in doubt appoint a guy who was a good player but who has bugger all experience of coaching

Yes unlike the Dutch (Rijkaard, Van Basten) Spanish (Gaurdiola) Italians (Leonardo) Germans (Klinsmann) Argentinians (Maradona) Brazilians (Dunga) and so on.

Well said. Its hardly just us.

But then most of those didn't do badly.

Show me the evidence that Speed would do any better than Shearer?

Oh wait, it's because he's the more likeable person, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Shearer lacks hunger or desire to be a (top) manager because he wouldn't agree to Ashley's demands?  **** me.  There's a reason we ended up with Hughton you know?  No manager with an ounce of self respect would work under Ashley with Ashley calling the shots. 

That was only the final and most recent example of his reluctance to take on the role. He was being groomed as Sir Bob's successor and could have walked into the job when Shepherd was in charge. The message he was always giving was he'd like the job 'some day but not now.'

Any top football management job makes great demands on that person's time and personal life, and my strong feeling is he is very wary of that. That's why he's ended up as a TV pundit.

It has got nothing to do with being a likeable person. That is just a crass comment from a numpty with little idea.

Shearer, since retiring, has been contact to carry on collecting a fat wage check as a TV punter with nil contribution to the day to day running of a football club, apart from a highly unsuccessful 2 month stint with us.

Speed has continued as a player and more latterly, as a coach with Sheffield United, where his continued involvement daily is apparent. Speed has also completed all hos coaching badges whilst "God" has still to complete his.

I have my opinions on Shearer which I will not go into on this thread but personally, if I were to select a new manager, Shearer would be well down the list behind the likes of Speed and my personal favourite for the job in a couple of years time, Lee Clark

How anyone can tell what Shearer is like as a manager is beyond me.

while in no way can full conclusions be drawn about shearer as a manager there are some things that can be taken from his brief stint in the job and some educated guesses based on reasonable speculation. The main thing to be taken is he seems to be very strong on discipline and trying to create team unity through eating meals together etc. Noe those measures didnt have any notable effect on us last season but it would be harsh to judge him on that even if worrying points can be taken from that stint. Mainly his inability to motivate the team for a 2nd half fight back v villa nothing to lose yet nowt of the side, that worrys me.

On the reasonable speculation end of the scale he does seem to want total control over the football club top to bottom however how can any rookie manager expect to get 100% control, the only ones who I'd think have 100% control in england are Fergie and Wenger and they've earned that control over time, and its not even clear if fergie has total control judging by the sale of ronaldo and not spending the cash afterwards.

Shearer dismisses Sheff Wed link

BBC Sport - ‎38 minutes ago‎

Former Newcastle boss Alan Shearer has dismissed rumours he is set to become the new Sheffield Wednesday manager. Newspaper reports had suggested Shearer, ...

It has got nothing to do with being a likeable person. That is just a crass comment from a numpty with little idea.

Shearer, since retiring, has been contact to carry on collecting a fat wage check as a TV punter with nil contribution to the day to day running of a football club, apart from a highly unsuccessful 2 month stint with us.

Speed has continued as a player and more latterly, as a coach with Sheffield United, where his continued involvement daily is apparent. Speed has also completed all hos coaching badges whilst "God" has still to complete his.

I have my opinions on Shearer which I will not go into on this thread but personally, if I were to select a new manager, Shearer would be well down the list behind the likes of Speed and my personal favourite for the job in a couple of years time, Lee Clark

I fucking hate reading shit like this.

Shearer dismisses Sheff Wed link

BBC Sport - ‎38 minutes ago‎

Former Newcastle boss Alan Shearer has dismissed rumours he is set to become the new Sheffield Wednesday manager. Newspaper reports had suggested Shearer, ...

Wish he'd taken over there 2 weeks back, we'd have beat them 2-0.

I'd love to see Shearer ply his trade somewhere else first. I believe he can be a big manager here but wouldn't want him to jump into the job for obvious reasons. Let him make his mistakes elsewhere and build up a profile, contacts, methods and all the rest of it, and if he cuts it he can come to us a seasoned manager.

Is that it? I think you're easly impressed then, you tool.

There are plenty of football coaches out there with all of those fancy badges, but most of them aren't good enough to manage.

I think you should as they probably have some bearing on your overall opinion of him.