Shearer as Bolton Manager?

Elric

It has got nothing to do with being a likeable person. That is just a crass comment from a numpty with little idea.

Shearer, since retiring, has been contact to carry on collecting a fat wage check as a TV punter with nil contribution to the day to day running of a football club, apart from a highly unsuccessful 2 month stint with us.

Speed has continued as a player and more latterly, as a coach with Sheffield United, where his continued involvement daily is apparent. Speed has also completed all hos coaching badges whilst "God" has still to complete his.

I have my opinions on Shearer which I will not go into on this thread but personally, if I were to select a new manager, Shearer would be well down the list behind the likes of Speed and my personal favourite for the job in a couple of years time, Lee Clark

Is that it? I think you're easly impressed then, you tool.

There are plenty of football coaches out there with all of those fancy badges, but most of them aren't good enough to manage.

What is with you and calling people names?

So, what level of coaching have you done?

I am a fully qualified coach and have got my badges. I have coached many teams and found the value of being taught all the little extras by professionals in order to make me a better coach.

Like anything else in life, you are taught to be better by teachers at school, managers at work, professional coaches at clinics to better yourself. This is clear in the game of football. You cannot coach/manage without having the relevant crdentials.

Maybe you think that having been a footballer for many years at the top level automatically qualifies you as a coach?

You should go and ask Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez and even SAF because none of them were ever top players.

I am a fully qualified coach and have got my badges. I have coached many teams and found the value of being taught all the little extras by professionals in order to make me a better coach.

Like anything else in life, you are taught to be better by teachers at school, managers at work, professional coaches at clinics to better yourself. This is clear in the game of football. You cannot coach/manage without having the relevant crdentials.

Maybe you think that having been a footballer for many years at the top level automatically qualifies you as a coach?

You should go and ask Mourinho, Wenger, Benitez and even SAF because none of them were ever top players.

Didn't really need to reply to them because your first post makes a lot of sense, probably too much sense for some.  Although, you have made some really good points again with this post.

Didn't really need to reply to them because your first post makes a lot of sense, probably too much sense for some.  Although, you have made some really good points again with this post.

and yet shankly never had any qualifications, nor clough. in quite a few walks of life doing it is the qualification...like being a footballer for example.

i wonder if anyone noticed the difference in roeders management before and after gaining his qualification ?

seems strange that since the qualifications came in the standard seems to have gone down and we have have a group of identikit managers.

and yet shankly never had any qualifications, nor clough. in quite a few walks of life doing it is the qualification...like being a footballer for example.

i wonder if anyone noticed the difference in roeders management before and after gaining his qualification ?

seems strange that since the qualifications came in the standard seems to have gone down and we have have a group of identikit managers.

I find it difficult to tell if he was an arrogant arse beforehand.

Pray tell what comments are ridiculous!

I agree regarding Shankley and Clough but we all know football is a totally different game from their days as a manager.

The best manager in the Premier League doesn't have a UEFA Pro licence iirc.

I think you will find that Arsene Wenger does

:lol:

Shame he's not the best manager in the Premier League.

That is open to debate..the way he runs arsenal their youth policy and his ability to deal without splashing out mega bucks makes him the best manager in the league IMO

Guest Heneage

Personally, Bolton can have him. I would much rather have Speed as our manager than Shearer.

Show me the evidence that Speed would do any better than Shearer?

Oh wait, it's because he's the more likeable person, isn't it? :rolleyes:

He's actually dirtied his hands coaching maybe? He's more experienced than Shearer. I don't get this whole Shearer is a good manager based on what? The fact he could beat Boro at home.

Kez

I think it is more about personal opinions on here by people about Shearer. Some think that because he was a godlike figure at NUFC entitles him to automatically qualify as a good manager.

I personally think that his ego would make it difficult for him to succeed as a manager, particularly at Newcastle where he would probably find it difficult to match everyones expectations. He needs to start his career elsewhere, lower down in the leagues, like Lee Clark is doing. Sheffield Wednesday would be the perfect place for him to prove whether he has the ability or not.

I think you will find that Arsene Wenger does

:lol:

Shame he's not the best manager in the Premier League.

That is open to debate..the way he runs arsenal their youth policy and his ability to deal without splashing out mega bucks makes him the best manager in the league IMO

No doubt he is a very good manager but I find it hard to argue against 11 Premier League titles.

Greg

Yes, he has won titles, lots of them but it would be intersting to see mhow he would fare if he didnt have virtually unlimited financial resources over the years to buy the players he wanted. Same as the likes of Real Madrid.

IMO, Wenger has consistently shown that he can build quality teams by spending very little in contrast to Fergie. My only problem with Wenger is that he seems reluctant to spend big on that one or two quality players that would make his team unbeatable.

Arsenal, by far and away, in my opinion, play the most attractive football in europe, with the possible exception of Barcelona.

Greg

Yes, he has won titles, lots of them but it would be intersting to see mhow he would fare if he didnt have virtually unlimited financial resources over the years to buy the players he wanted. Same as the likes of Real Madrid.

IMO, Wenger has consistently shown that he can build quality teams by spending very little in contrast to Fergie. My only problem with Wenger is that he seems reluctant to spend big on that one or two quality players that would make his team unbeatable.

Arsenal, by far and away, in my opinion, play the most attractive football in europe, with the possible exception of Barcelona.

i used to think that till his insistence he didn't need to spend last season when everyone involved with arsenal, including himself were saying there was cash to spend. he seems to want to create a league winning team from his nouse....it wont happen.

Madras

To be fair, he is not far off. He has some wonderful players and has had some tough injuries to contend with but I do agree that a couple of quality additions in the right areas would certainly make the difference. I can see them winning the title in the next 2 or 3 years if he does this and manages to keep Fabregas.

Madras

To be fair, he is not far off. He has some wonderful players and has had some tough injuries to contend with but I do agree that a couple of quality additions in the right areas would certainly make the difference. I can see them winning the title in the next 2 or 3 years if he does this and manages to keep Fabregas.

hope he does but don't think he will. remember those injuries aren't as bad as man utd's defensive injury woes and that was from a massive squad, arsenals were brought about by having so small a squad. i doubt wenger will change (and i hope he doesn't) and i see fabregas in spain in 2 years.

Madras

Time will tell. I actually think MU are hanging in by a thread at the moment. Some of their recent signings have failed, in particular, Berbatov and the likes of Giggs and Scholes are all but finished. Same for Ferdinand, to be honest.

I would say Chelsea will win the league but Arsenal will not be far behind. I fact, I think the way Arsenal play, they will be probably be Englands biggest achievers in the CL this year although Im dont see them winning it.

Hopefully, Fabregas will stay but if they dont win anything this or next year, I fear you might be right and he will return to Spain for a huge fee. I really like Ashavin as a player. Whenever he gets the ball, he is so dangerous, a quality player. I also think they miss Bendtner more than people realise.

Macca888

How many times have man utd done that. we've thought they were finished but then a year later come back twice as strong ? true some of the recent signings don't seem to fit (nani,anderson,valencia,berbatov),they'll get back to basics and normal service will be resumed......unfortunatly.

and chelsea will win the prem this season.

yeah, I know but word is that the Glaziers are in financial schnook and Fergie might not be given the millions he would want to rebuild.

I agree, Chelsea will win the title but I think Arsenal will push them close.

At the start of the season, I didn't rate Arsenal's chances, but they're playing the best football in the country at the moment, and they're not at full strength. Players like Song, Diaby and Ramsey have emerged as completely comfortable at the top level. I watched the last half hour against West Ham, and Arsenal were just picking their way through their defence at will.

It's not like Chelsea and Man U are looking unbeatable. I'd say Arsenal have at least an even chance.

....seems strange that since the qualifications came in the standard seems to have gone down and we have have a group of identikit managers.

Not strange to me, I find it is always this way. The more they try and standardise something the more bland it gets. Effectively you are training creativity and fresh thinking out of people, whatever the field.

....seems strange that since the qualifications came in the standard seems to have gone down and we have have a group of identikit managers.

Not strange to me, I find it is always this way. The more they try and standardise something the more bland it gets. Effectively you are training creativity and fresh thinking out of people, whatever the field.

I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that standards have gone down. Previously, managers received no training at all, so most of them just repeated what they had been taught before as players, good and bad. There were innovators, but they were the exception.

My feeling is that there are those of exceptional talent who can manage their own education, and there are those at the other end who will perform poorly no matter what training they receive. However, there's a large group in the middle who have benefitted from exposure to some different ideas through training.