Carroll for Scotland?

nufcmichael

yeah..

but feel free to remind me of that debate the next time little Pete holds off two players, stops the ball on his chest, turns around and passes the ball

What on earth does that have to with his control?

You know man.. I have flalwess ball control when I'm playing keepy-ups in my room. I bet most League 2 players also do.

Defenders man, you know the guys that stop you from controlling the ball. I think of ball control as the way you stop the ball and dribble under pressure.

Are you saying that Carroll has better control than Loven because he holds players off better?

yeah..

but feel free to remind me of that debate the next time little Pete holds off two players, stops the ball on his chest, turns around and passes the ball

What on earth does that have to with his control?

You know man.. I have flalwess ball control when I'm playing keepy-ups in my room. I bet most League 2 players also do.

Defenders man, you know the guys that stop you from controlling the ball. I think of ball control as the way you stop the ball and dribble under pressure.

Are you saying that Carroll has better control than Loven because he holds players off better?

YES :)

We use Zlatan's height and ability to retain possession upfront, but I really wouldn't call him a "target man" for us. It's just that his bag of tricks is so large.

We did use Henrik Larsson as a target man during our League/CL double in 2005-2006 though. He was an impact player however.

We use Zlatan's height and ability to retain possession upfront, but I really wouldn't call him a "target man" for us. It's just that his bag of tricks is so large.

We did use Henrik Larsson as a target man during our League/CL double in 2005-2006 though. He was an impact player however.

Isn't that pretty much the definition of a target man though?

We use Zlatan's height and ability to retain possession upfront, but I really wouldn't call him a "target man" for us. It's just that his bag of tricks is so large.We did use Henrik Larsson as a target man during our League/CL double in 2005-2006 though. He was an impact player however.

Yeah, same with Drogba imo.

Thought this was a forum for debate, ban me if i'm wrong. Sitting on the fence and trying to constantly look cool doesn't appeal to me.

You're not debating, you're just a wum. You're wrong even when you're right. Gotta get your shit together man. I've had better arguments on acid

Thought this was a forum for debate, ban me if i'm wrong. Sitting on the fence and trying to constantly look cool doesn't appeal to me.

Funny comment, considering you're the one who asserts you know best in every single discussion, and that people's opinions are worthless if they don't align with your own.

Anyway, you got me again. Apologies.

Try reading this: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/condescension

Can "target men" not have skill?

Or strikers be tall  :)

I guess ultimately it's a question of semantics. Yes, Barça uses Zlatan as target man sometimes, bombing the ball to him or having him play with his back against the defence, but he does lead the line.

I'd like to know what Ronaldo considers a target man to be.

If he's suggesting that a target man is basically a lump who stands there and flicks on balls, bashes defenders about and generally plays in a physical way then I don't think there have been too many used in top level football for a good few years.

For me a target man would be any player who can be used as a specific outlet. Not just for playing the long ball, but someone who you can give the ball too and not worry about it coming straight back. Yes it helps if they are strong and good in the air but also a willing runner with a decent amount of pace and good control is also important. Personally I think Drogba is the imbodiment of a modern day target man. He can receive the ball in any position and get something out of it, a free kick, holding it up and finding a team mate, getting a shot away. That's what I'd class as a target man these days.

Carroll could become this with training and the right management. He has the raw attributes IMO and I've been impressed with him when I've seen him live. Will he be top class, probably not but there aren't many who are.

No top teams would play with such a one dimensional player these days. I can't recall too many players who's only purpose in the team was to accept long balls. Hence the idea of the 'target man' must evolve along with football.

No top teams would play with such a one dimensional player these days. I can't recall too many players who's only purpose in the team was to accept long balls. Hence the idea of the 'target man' must evolve along with football.

That was my original point tbh.

That was my original point tbh.

should've stated it somewhere among the other nonsense