The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Isn't it his job to motivate them though? And this certainly isn't a knee-jerk from Mick and several others including myself either.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that Hughton can motivate players, his handling of Lovenkrands has been brilliant this week but other than that I've seen nothing to suggest he can man-manage.

Guest Heneage

I always find it funny the manager gets the blame when it's the TEAM that plays poor.

Therefore Sir Alex Ferguson deserves no credit at all for Man U having dominated English Football for 15+ years.

Can't have it one way and not the other.

Oh no, it's very much a column a column b situation.

A manager needs to motivate his team and a team needs to listen to it's manager. I just think blaming Hughton is over the top because, really unless he was playing it boils down to the playing staff not playing well just as much as it is him being a poor manager.

I always find it funny the manager gets the blame when it's the TEAM that plays poor.

Because the manager buys the players, picks the team, picks the tactics and motivates the team.

A manager needs to motivate his team and a team needs to listen to it's manager. I just think blaming Hughton is over the top because, really unless he was playing it boils down to the playing staff not playing well just as much as it is him being a poor manager.

I know what you are saying and there is a lot of truth in what you say. Its a cliche isnt it that "once the players cross the white line, the manager can do very little".

I cant really say anything with not having seen us play this season but from what i pick up from everyone on here is that the general style of play (long ball) is definitely down to the Manager so Hughton has to accept the criticism for that. I think he would get less flack if it looked like we were at least trying to attempt a slick passing game.

I've consistently made my view clear about Hughton. But we are stuck with him right now. This is the point where he needs to come through and prove us wrong. We are on the verge of collapse at the moment, we have to bounce back now with wins, 3 or 4 off the trot otherwise, momentum and form will be with Forest and WBA.

First thing he needs to do, is bloody stand up for himself to Ashley and demand that he gets some bloody backing in the transfer window, without it we could very well be screwed.

The main problem on Monday night was the fact we were totally over-run in midfield, therefore I think he went with Nolan withdrawn and one striker to try and combat that problem. Guthrie was selected in centre midfield as many people (myself included) have been crying out for since some bloke called Neil landed on the moon, and by all accounts he sounded dreadful there.

To be fair Mick, I think you're a cracking poster and one of the best debaters on these forums, but it's painfully obvious to me that you just don't like Hughton that much, regardless of what he does and what our results are. As far as I'm concerned, Hughton's line-up today was well-balanced and was one that it was possible to win the game with. The man is far from perfect, and certainly not my choice by any stretch of the imagination, but today he got his team selection and substitutions spot on, and he is far down the list of reasons why we lost today.

Well done to him as well for marching into the centre circle to confront the referee at full time, too. I'm pleased he showed the whole ground that he had something to say to the ref, and I hope that he says as much in his post match interviews.

The attitude to Hughton on these boards in general is f***ing shocking to say the least, as far as I'm concerned the man deserves a medal.

I don't like Hughton as our manager because he's not a manager and never will be, as a person I'd give him 10 out of 10, as a manager I'd struggle to give him 5 out of 10.  I haven't seen a single thing to make me change my mind on him and at this stage I can't see that changing.

As for Monday, the problem was that we had a midfield of snail paced plodders and that's the way we played again today.  We have absolutely no creativity and that has been the case for most of the season and I can't see that taking a turn for the better because it doesn't look like were even looking to change anything by bringing in new blood.  Guthrie being quiet for 45 minutes proves nothing, I don't think anybody played well in the first half and the game only changed when we switched to 4-4-2 and had a go at them.

I'll give him credit for making the change at half time, I'll not give him any credit for the way he set us up before that, him changing things at half time only balances out the original mistake.  We can get away with players like Smith, Butt and Nolan against most teams in the Championship but not against the more mobile teams.

The point I've highlighted makes no sense at all. The only central midfielders we have at the club are snail-paced plodders at best, so what else is Hughton exactly meant to do? His hands are pretty much tied in the transfer market, how many decent pacey central midfielders are you meant to get for £1m? I would have done the same thing if I was manager, I would have started the game by sticking in an extra midfielder, as we got butchered there on Monday night and need another player there to make up for the total lack of pace and awareness in that area.

Funny also that you mention the lack of creativity in the side, we managed to create two goals today, create two occasions where we should have had penalties, along with a few times shots were saved for corners on top of that.

Hughton is being made a fall guy for every single bastarding thing going wrong with this club. People accuse him of having no balls, but the fact the man has gone about his business with an air of dignity and done his ruddy hardest to get the team to the summit of the division suggests otherwise. The way he's been treated by Ashley is absolutely rotten, and the fact that loads of the fans seem to get on his back when the slightest thing goes wrong (even when we win but play badly, ffs!) is utterly pathetic. It may be obvious to some that I'm a Hughton sympathiser, but the attitudes of some (not just you, Mick) are starting to piss me off.

We didn't lose the game because of Hughton today, that much is pretty much certain. It's 2-1, we have a second stonewall penalty turned down, and then at the other end a penalty is given the other way. What's to say that we score the penalty and go on to win the game? Hughton is a hero in that situation for turning the game around, when he hasn't done anything differently.

The referee and one of the linesmen are the number one reasons why we lost today's game.

The main problem on Monday night was the fact we were totally over-run in midfield, therefore I think he went with Nolan withdrawn and one striker to try and combat that problem. Guthrie was selected in centre midfield as many people (myself included) have been crying out for since some bloke called Neil landed on the moon, and by all accounts he sounded dreadful there.

To be fair Mick, I think you're a cracking poster and one of the best debaters on these forums, but it's painfully obvious to me that you just don't like Hughton that much, regardless of what he does and what our results are. As far as I'm concerned, Hughton's line-up today was well-balanced and was one that it was possible to win the game with. The man is far from perfect, and certainly not my choice by any stretch of the imagination, but today he got his team selection and substitutions spot on, and he is far down the list of reasons why we lost today.

Well done to him as well for marching into the centre circle to confront the referee at full time, too. I'm pleased he showed the whole ground that he had something to say to the ref, and I hope that he says as much in his post match interviews.

The attitude to Hughton on these boards in general is f***ing shocking to say the least, as far as I'm concerned the man deserves a medal.

I don't like Hughton as our manager because he's not a manager and never will be, as a person I'd give him 10 out of 10, as a manager I'd struggle to give him 5 out of 10.  I haven't seen a single thing to make me change my mind on him and at this stage I can't see that changing.

As for Monday, the problem was that we had a midfield of snail paced plodders and that's the way we played again today.  We have absolutely no creativity and that has been the case for most of the season and I can't see that taking a turn for the better because it doesn't look like were even looking to change anything by bringing in new blood.  Guthrie being quiet for 45 minutes proves nothing, I don't think anybody played well in the first half and the game only changed when we switched to 4-4-2 and had a go at them.

I'll give him credit for making the change at half time, I'll not give him any credit for the way he set us up before that, him changing things at half time only balances out the original mistake.  We can get away with players like Smith, Butt and Nolan against most teams in the Championship but not against the more mobile teams.

The point I've highlighted makes no sense at all. The only central midfielders we have at the club are snail-paced plodders at best, so what else is Hughton exactly meant to do? His hands are pretty much tied in the transfer market, how many decent pacey central midfielders are you meant to get for £1m? I would have done the same thing if I was manager, I would have started the game by sticking in an extra midfielder, as we got butchered there on Monday night and need another player there to make up for the total lack of pace and awareness in that area.

Funny also that you mention the lack of creativity in the side, we managed to create two goals today, create two occasions where we should have had penalties, along with a few times shots were saved for corners on top of that.

Hughton is being made a fall guy for every single bastarding thing going wrong with this club. People accuse him of having no balls, but the fact the man has gone about his business with an air of dignity and done his ruddy hardest to get the team to the summit of the division suggests otherwise. The way he's been treated by Ashley is absolutely rotten, and the fact that loads of the fans seem to get on his back when the slightest thing goes wrong (even when we win but play badly, ffs!) is utterly pathetic. It may be obvious to some that I'm a Hughton sympathiser, but the attitudes of some (not just you, Mick) are starting to piss me off.

We didn't lose the game because of Hughton today, that much is pretty much certain. It's 2-1, we have a second stonewall penalty turned down, and then at the other end a penalty is given the other way. What's to say that we score the penalty and go on to win the game? Hughton is a hero in that situation for turning the game around, when he hasn't done anything differently.

The referee and one of the linesmen are the number one reasons why we lost today's game.

How?  By offering him the manager's job?

How?  By offering him the manager's job?

A man with the CV of Chirs Hughton is incredibly fortunate to be managing a club of even our current stature in the game.

The way he was pissed around last season, and the beginning of this season. Also, the lack of backing in the transfer market.

He wasn't really being pissed around was he ? He was working his job as a first team coach, kept his job despite various changes in manager, still drew a nice salary and would have been compensated for "working up" in the caretaker manager posts he took. After his performances in the caretaker role he was extremely fortunate to still be around the club, the man was abysmal even if you factor in the turmoil around.

I wish people would stop with the thought process that Hughton somehow was mistreated or has done us some sort of favour by hanging around, the man was bloody lucky to hang onto his job let alone get a bloody promotion.

The way he was pissed around last season, and the beginning of this season. Also, the lack of backing in the transfer market.

Pissed around last season?  Some fantastic re-writing of history there.  The manager at the time had a heart attack if you remember & hughton was put in temporary charge & tbh he was absolutely fucking shit and so they brought Shearer in.

If anything Ashley's been far nicer to him than he should have been by giving him another chance this year.

It's up to Hughton to change things if we're snail paced plodders and he's shown no inclination of using this transfer window to do that.  We have little or no money to bring people in so we should use loan signings to do that.  We don't know which division we'll be in next season so bringing in loans is the sensible option for now, what money we do have should be used on wages.

We created the two goals in the second half, once we had changed our formation to give us an extra outlet instead of conceding possession.  Playing with one front man only brings the game closer to our goal and we paid for that.  I don't know what the first half possession was like percentage wise but I do know that it was 55%/45% to them over 90 minutes and we had a lot more of the game in the second half than we did in the first.

Hughton probably is being hung out to dry by Ashley and Llambias but he seems only too willing to accept it, if he hasn't got the balls to stand up to them then he's only got himself to blame if he gets stick for it.

Pissed around last season? Some fantastic re-writing of history there. The manager at the time had a heart attack if you remember & hughton was put in temporary charge & tbh he was absolutely fucking shit and so they brought Shearer in.

If anything Ashley's been far nicer to him than he should have been by giving him another chance this year.

How is it re-writing history? The man was brought in to give Keegan a hand originally, wasn't he? The three or four times he was caretaker manager, the way he had to put up with Kinnear, the way he was demoted and undermined as Shearer and Dowie came in, despite him being told he was in charge for the season (and DO NOT say "well he was crap therefore Shearer was appointed", because Kinnear was just as bad and he got two contract extensions during his stay) and also the whole sale saga this summer where he didn't know if he was coming or going, along with the complete lack of transfer activity.... that just about signals "pissed around" to me.

Pissed around last season?  Some fantastic re-writing of history there.  The manager at the time had a heart attack if you remember & hughton was put in temporary charge & tbh he was absolutely fucking shit and so they brought Shearer in.

How is it re-writing history? The man was brought in to give Keegan a hand originally, wasn't he? The three or four times he was caretaker manager, the way he had to put up with Kinnear, the way he was demoted and undermined as Shearer and Dowie came in, despite him being told he was in charge for the season (and DO NOT say "well he was crap therefore Shearer was appointed, because Kinnear was just as bad and he got two contract extensions during his stay) and also the whole sale saga this summer where he didn't know if he was coming or going, along with the complete lack of transfer activity.... that just about signals "pissed around" to me.

So he was crap but you didn't want them to do something about it?

How is it re-writing history? The man was brought in to give Keegan a hand originally, wasn't he? The three or four times he was caretaker manager, the way he had to put up with Kinnear, the way he was demoted and undermined as Shearer and Dowie came in, despite him being told he was in charge for the season (and DO NOT say "well he was crap therefore Shearer was appointed, because Kinnear was just as bad and he got two contract extensions during his stay) and also the whole sale saga this summer where he didn't know if he was coming or going, along with the complete lack of transfer activity.... that just about signals "pissed around" to me.

But he's accepted that and allowed it to happen; if it was that bad then he'd have pissed off.  I'm not sure that we could get anybody better with our current setup but that's irrelevant to how people should react to Hughton because it doesn't make him any better or worse.

Hughton has been really loyal, again that is his choice and his loyalty isn’t necessarily a good thing because it means Llambias and Ashley can just sit back and let him get on with it.

So who should we get in as manager then under this ownership and working with Ashley's transfer budget?

Great question but nobody on here is in a position to answer it.

Why not? If we can give our opinions on why Hughton is doing such a terrible job, surely it should be easy enough to suggest an alternative?

Why not? If we can give our opinions on why Hughton is doing such a terrible job, surely it should be easy enough to suggest an alternative?

One situation is based on what is actually happening the other situation is hypothetical.

One situation is based on what is actually happening the other situation is hypothetical.

It's hypothetical whether anyone else given the same constraints would do any better but we don't have a problem saying that.

Plus, everyone on here would give an opinion based on their knowledge of football and the skills their chosen replacement would bring to the club.

Ashley and Llambias would base their decision on who is the cheapest and least likely to question their decisions.

It's hypothetical whether anyone else given the same constraints would do any better but we don't have a problem saying that.

I agree to a certain extent but I don't think many would allow themselves to work under the same constraints.

I agree to a certain extent but I don't think many would allow themselves to work under the same constraints.

Then we're probably lucky that we've got Hughton who is at least a football man rather than Llambias's doorman from one of his clubs.

Then we're probably lucky that we've got Hughton who is at least a football man rather than Llambias's doorman from one of his clubs.

I don't credit Llambias as being too clever but I doubt he'd have gone for a doorman if Hughton wasn't managing the club.  Hughton is making life easy for them and allowing them to get away with doing nothing, I'm not too sure I'd class that as being lucky.