The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hughton has been absolutely vindicated by today's performance IMO. With a midfield which totally lacks any sort of mobility in the centre the best tactics are definitely hoof to the big forwards and hope for the best. This allows the old codgers like Butt, Smith and Nolan to sit back in front of the defence without getting rings run round them by faster players with far more stamina.

Aye, but it's the same gameplan every week which is the problem.

Beat me to it.

Hughton has been absolutely vindicated by today's performance IMO. With a midfield which totally lacks any sort of mobility in the centre the best tactics are definitely hoof to the big forwards and hope for the best. This allows the old codgers like Butt, Smith and Nolan to sit back in front of the defence without getting rings run round them by faster players with far more stamina.

Aye, but it's the same gameplan every week which is the problem.

the gameplan  ? stop them scoring and hope the oppo gift us something

You confuse vindication with poor judgement.  I would have played Guthrie in the middle in place of either Smith or Nolan and I would play LuaLua on the wing and Ranger in place of Shola along side Lovenkrands.

Speed and stamina isn’t everything, you also need balance and our lack of it is as glaring as our lack of pace in the middle.

Guest palnese

I would "love" to see a Nolan pick up an orange injury and Butt a red inj when Barton is back.

Would be interesting to see who he would pick in the middle of the park.

Hughton would probably confess himself that he's not so much a manager but more of a coach. The problem we have is higher up the chain if you want to go down that path. Hughton has been dumped into a role, a role he may be happy filling, but nevertheless he was dumped in it. We need more players now, if we want to maintain the current position we're in. That doesn't look like it'll happen.

Nevertheless, what you have to remember is that this was a bunch of overpaid, careless, disheartened individuals, a lot of which were pre-Madonna's who thought they could still hack it at the top level but can't, Michael Owen being one. Now what we have is a team, a unit, a bit passion and belief, a bit determination and a desire to win for themselves, the fans, the club and the region.

How many of us say we'd rather see 11 people run out and give 100% even if they were s***, than watch 11 quality players give 50%. Nearly all of us, well that's exactly what's happening and now people complain. Okay, we might stumble our way back to the Premiership, but Chelsea won titles by 'grafting out results' so so f***.

It's worked this far, and now that we've lost players via the transfer market and through injury cracks are starting to appear. It's clearly to do with squad size and quality, we've had the quality which is a cut above Championship standard but not up to the Premiership, and the depth with the loan signings. Now that we've lost our loan deals, we have no strength in depth and injuries are beginning to pile up, causing our dip in form.

Over the course of this season Hughton has made some marvellous substitutions at the right time, and obviously some of this is down to the very poor opposition. But I'm incredibly sorry if it's horrendously stupid for me to continue to back someone who has stumbled us to top of the Championship, and seemingly on the brink of promotion.

Sound like a bunch of Liverpudlians on here at times....

Hughton wanted the managers job, he wasn't dumped into it, he made the choice.  We do have problems further up and we do need players, that doesn't change the fact that Hughton isn't very good. 

The cracks that you mention have been visible all season and are not down to players returing to the clubs they came from, they are down to Hughton allowing the cracks to remain without doing anything about them.

Who are these injured players that are starting to mount up?

Hughton would probably confess himself that he's not so much a manager but more of a coach. The problem we have is higher up the chain if you want to go down that path. Hughton has been dumped into a role, a role he may be happy filling, but nevertheless he was dumped in it. We need more players now, if we want to maintain the current position we're in. That doesn't look like it'll happen.

Nevertheless, what you have to remember is that this was a bunch of overpaid, careless, disheartened individuals, a lot of which were pre-Madonna's who thought they could still hack it at the top level but can't, Michael Owen being one. Now what we have is a team, a unit, a bit passion and belief, a bit determination and a desire to win for themselves, the fans, the club and the region.

How many of us say we'd rather see 11 people run out and give 100% even if they were s***, than watch 11 quality players give 50%. Nearly all of us, well that's exactly what's happening and now people complain. Okay, we might stumble our way back to the Premiership, but Chelsea won titles by 'grafting out results' so so f***.

It's worked this far, and now that we've lost players via the transfer market and through injury cracks are starting to appear. It's clearly to do with squad size and quality, we've had the quality which is a cut above Championship standard but not up to the Premiership, and the depth with the loan signings. Now that we've lost our loan deals, we have no strength in depth and injuries are beginning to pile up, causing our dip in form.

Over the course of this season Hughton has made some marvellous substitutions at the right time, and obviously some of this is down to the very poor opposition. But I'm incredibly sorry if it's horrendously stupid for me to continue to back someone who has stumbled us to top of the Championship, and seemingly on the brink of promotion.

Sound like a bunch of Liverpudlians on here at times....

Hughton wanted the managers job, he wasn't dumped into it, he made the choice.  We do have problems further up and we do need players, that doesn't change the fact that Hughton isn't very good. 

The cracks that you mention have been visible all season and are not down to players returing to the clubs they came from, they are down to Hughton allowing the cracks to remain without doing anything about them.

Who are these injured players that are starting to mount up?

Hughton may have wanted the managers job but only because he had numerous stints as a caretaker. No other fucker would obviously take the job under Ashley and Hughton must have knew that surely, otherwise I would imagine he'd be kicking up more of a fuss about squad quality/size and the need for financial backing to maintain and improve the current squad.

I'm not saying Hughton is a good manager, what I am saying is that he's done well enough and is doing good enough to do complete the current task at hand.

I believe we may have our differences on what we believe the cracks to be, for me it's about squad size, at least for this season, for others it may be squad quality. Obviously we all agree it's having the combination like. Therefore, with the loan signings and people signed on free transfers I reckon a number of the cracks were covered but now as The Quiche, Simpson and Harewood have all gone that little bit depth we had has gone, and unfortunately now we have about as much quality on the bench and in reserves as the likes of QPR.

Tonight, Simpson got injured and he's leaving now anyway, Taylor picked up a knock and Enrique did at one point. Kadar is already out and apart from that we're beginning to look at our very inexperienced youngsters. Now some of the afore mentioned may be fine but they won't be for the rest of the season, we will get injuries and where Simpson and The Quiche could cover, we currently have none.

Dare I say it even Harewood was useful to a degree, despite being the Newcastle fans' latest scapegoat.

There are obvious cracks, long term, such as the general lack of quality throughout, but for me it's about getting promoted and taking it from there, and as a result Hughton is doing perfectly fine for me, at the moment.

We are 3 points clear at the top despite the only part of our team that could be considered better than anyone in the league being our defence.

I would like to see Guthrie in the centre but some are going to be in shock when they realise this hasn't suddenly changed us into this different, amazingly creative and attacking side then hughton will be to blame for something else.

Fact is we lack mobility, we lack pace and those who can fail to deliver. What exactly can hughton do about this when we don't have the players? West brom are far more equipped to play like that because they have players capable of it.

As said Guthrie is being built up to be our zideane, he will improve our passing but his pace is barely better than Nolan and he fades out early.

Hughton is doing the best with what he has, he is playing to our strengths of which we don't have many and that is due to the squad far more than his tactics.

He isn't a manager but he has done a bloody good job at the start of the season 90% of the forum would sell a bollock to be where we are, now however it's not good enough. Not surprised in the slightest though unfortunately.

Maybe some need to realise football isn't as easy as they think it is, our squad isn't as good as they think it is, we don't have all that many different options and sometimes players will need a rest.

Hughton deserves fair less stick.

Cannot understand how anyone can moan about Hughton, they're almost as idiotic as the people who boo us off the league when we're top and still clear with a game in hand. Maybe they're the same idiots?

Sorry, the mans not up to the job and his tactics and subs are questionable at the best of times.

Guest guinness_fiend

Cannot understand how anyone can moan about Hughton, they're almost as idiotic as the people who boo us off the league when we're top and still clear with a game in hand. Maybe they're the same idiots?

Sorry, the mans not up to the job and his tactics and subs are questionable at the best of times.

It's a good job that everyone wants to manage us and players are flocking to join our merry bunch then, isn't it?

It's a good job that everyone wants to manage us and players are flocking to join our merry bunch then, isn't it?

Well, I best not criticise him then if he is our manager, no matter how shocking his decisions are.

We are 3 points clear at the top despite the only part of our team that could be considered better than anyone in the league being our defence.

I would like to see Guthrie in the centre but some are going to be in shock when they realise this hasn't suddenly changed us into this different, amazingly creative and attacking side then hughton will be to blame for something else.

Fact is we lack mobility, we lack pace and those who can fail to deliver. What exactly can hughton do about this when we don't have the players? West brom are far more equipped to play like that because they have players capable of it.

As said Guthrie is being built up to be our zideane, he will improve our passing but his pace is barely better than Nolan and he fades out early.

Hughton is doing the best with what he has, he is playing to our strengths of which we don't have many and that is due to the squad far more than his tactics.

He isn't a manager but he has done a bloody good job at the start of the season 90% of the forum would sell a bollock to be where we are, now however it's not good enough. Not surprised in the slightest though unfortunately.

Maybe some need to realise football isn't as easy as they think it is, our squad isn't as good as they think it is, we don't have all that many different options and sometimes players will need a rest.

Agree

Zidanny Guthrie sounds good though

Guest DarkSchneider

He has done a decent job, but yesterday he should have played Ranger instead of Caroll who moves as fast as a treefolk. And they had adequate defender to mark Caroll in Olsson.

He has done a decent job, but yesterday he should have played Ranger instead of Caroll who moves as fast as a treefolk. And they had adequate defender to mark Caroll in Olsson.

im by no means Carrolls biggest fan, but i thought he done ok when he came on, won pretty much everything in the air. There was just piss all around him.

Guest Stephen927

I don't think anybody is building Guthrie up as our Zidane at all, they just think he should be playing in the middle, and he should. Though the option of Pancrate on the right doesn't really fill me with any confidence, he's absolute gash.

I reckon Hughton deserves credit, before the season a lot of people were talking about another relegation, the morale was shot to pieces and we were losing a lot of games.

Whether it's down to the drop in quality of the opposition or whatever, a manager has to take some credit for the performances.

My main annoyance with him is that his default approach seems to be to shut out the opposition and hope we get a lucky goal. To be fair though, this happens most weeks in the championship.

Good post. Whether Hughton is a good manager I'm not sure, but there's not much more you can get out this squad. Personally I would like to see the likes of Guthrie given a run in the centre but I don't really think he's going to make much difference.

I wont be confident with hughton in charge next season either.

The Guthrie /zidane comment was tongue in cheek, my point is although our passing through the middle will improve what we really lack is pace and fitness through the centre which Guthrie wont solve.

I don't think there is enough between Guthries passing and Nolan's goalscoring to make either player more effective than the other as we need pace and workrate more than anything to make any substantial difference.

I wont be confident with hughton in charge next season either.

The Guthrie /zidane comment was tongue in cheek, my point is although our passing through the middle will improve what we really lack is pace and fitness through the centre which Guthrie wont solve.

I don't think there is enough between Guthries passing and Nolan's goalscoring to make either player more effective than the other as we need pace and workrate more than anything to make any substantial difference.

We need more healthy big black men who can run for 90min.

you can't play guthrie centre if taylor is rt back. so a RB this jan is a must. if can't find a decent one then would even settle for Khish to come back (as long as we keep him away from centre half) if simpson falls through (though he was awful last night)