The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Butt has played far too often this season, the guy's nowhere near up to it anymore.

is he any worse than smith ?

Smith does the job he is asked to, i.e. break up play and pass it quickly and on the floor. We don't need either of them attempting to do more than that, especially Butt as he's too slow to get back if he ventures up the filed, and his over-ambitious passes just end up losing possession. Smith is much better in the air as well.

Same shit football, lucky to get a draw.

If he takes us up I'll be forever grateful to the man, but he's just not a manager really. Good coach and a person the players seem to have time for, but the football under him is completely directionless and has been all season.

should have changed it earlier tonight. didnt have the hangers.

He's not a manager, we're run by a committee.

Again tbf we looked worse when Carroll came on to me.

Not down to carroll, more so the way we changed our style of play because of him. Long balls started a lot more, we look much better when its kept down.

:lol:

But spot on unfortunately.  :(

The last 4 or 5 weeks has been coming for a few months.

The game just seems to pass him by, it's as if he's watching tumbleweed just blowing past him.

Again tbf we looked worse when Carroll came on to me.

Not down to carroll, more so the way we changed our style of play because of him. Long balls started a lot more, we look much better when its kept down.

I'm not big fan of Carroll but to be fair to him, we were in the last 10 or 15 minutes and trying to get a winner.

:lol:

But spot on unfortunately.  :(

The last 4 or 5 weeks has been coming for a few months.

The game just seems to pass him by, it's as if he's watching tumbleweed just blowing past him.

More or less true but in his defence there is rarely any ammo on the bench.

Cannot understand how anyone can moan about Hughton, they're almost as idiotic as the people who boo us off the league when we're top and still clear with a game in hand. Maybe they're the same idiots?

More or less true but in his defence there is rarely any ammo on the bench.

I would guess that 90% of the teams in this division would take our bench if offered it.

Exactly.  He's got an England U21 and England U19 strikers on the bench.  He should be getting the best out of these players but he can't.

Guest toonlass

He does leave it too late with the subs though. Anyone with eyes could see Shola was about as mobile as a lighthouse tonight, and should have brought Carroll on a lot sooner.

Cannot understand how anyone can moan about Hughton, they're almost as idiotic as the people who boo us off the league when we're top and still clear with a game in hand. Maybe they're the same idiots?

Just someone to take the blame isnt it. If its not good enough, must be the manager. I think individual errors cost us tonight, far more than any gameplan he set out.

Hughton isn't a good manager, some people understand that, others seem to take league position as some sort of vindication of his position and the job he's doing.

Hughton has been absolutely vindicated by today's performance IMO. With a midfield which totally lacks any sort of mobility in the centre the best tactics are definitely hoof to the big forwards and hope for the best. This allows the old codgers like Butt, Smith and Nolan to sit back in front of the defence without getting rings run round them by faster players with far more stamina.

Hughton would probably confess himself that he's not so much a manager but more of a coach. The problem we have is higher up the chain if you want to go down that path. Hughton has been dumped into a role, a role he may be happy filling, but nevertheless he was dumped in it. We need more players now, if we want to maintain the current position we're in. That doesn't look like it'll happen.

Nevertheless, what you have to remember is that this was a bunch of overpaid, careless, disheartened individuals, a lot of which were pre-Madonna's who thought they could still hack it at the top level but can't, Michael Owen being one. Now what we have is a team, a unit, a bit passion and belief, a bit determination and a desire to win for themselves, the fans, the club and the region.

How many of us say we'd rather see 11 people run out and give 100% even if they were shit, than watch 11 quality players give 50%. Nearly all of us, well that's exactly what's happening and now people complain. Okay, we might stumble our way back to the Premiership, but Chelsea won titles by 'grafting out results' so so fuck.

It's worked this far, and now that we've lost players via the transfer market and through injury cracks are starting to appear. It's clearly to do with squad size and quality, we've had the quality which is a cut above Championship standard but not up to the Premiership, and the depth with the loan signings. Now that we've lost our loan deals, we have no strength in depth and injuries are beginning to pile up, causing our dip in form.

Over the course of this season Hughton has made some marvellous substitutions at the right time, and obviously some of this is down to the very poor opposition. But I'm incredibly sorry if it's horrendously stupid for me to continue to back someone who has stumbled us to top of the Championship, and seemingly on the brink of promotion.

Sound like a bunch of Liverpudlians on here at times....

Hughton has been absolutely vindicated by today's performance IMO. With a midfield which totally lacks any sort of mobility in the centre the best tactics are definitely hoof to the big forwards and hope for the best. This allows the old codgers like Butt, Smith and Nolan to sit back in front of the defence without getting rings run round them by faster players with far more stamina.

Aye, but it's the same gameplan every week which is the problem.