The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nobody is holding a gun to Hughton's head and telling him to play long-ball football. It results in us constantly losing the ball and creating absolutely f*** all.

You need to take anger management class to have a meaningful life in the future. Can you describe long ball and short ball for me...

I highly doubt any manager actually TELLS his players to go play long ball (possibly excluding fat Sam.)

It's just that we end up playing that way naturally due to not having a center midfield. It's been that way for several seasons and even more managers now. Hardly a hughton specific issue.

Nobody is holding a gun to Hughton's head and telling him to play long-ball football. It results in us constantly losing the ball and creating absolutely fuck all.

In quite a few games this season we've started out trying to knock the ball around, the game against Leicester was a prime example, but we always run out of gas and then get over run in midfield. I don't think that's down to tactics, it's just the central midfielders aren't physically capable of running for 90 minutes.

Nobody is holding a gun to Hughton's head and telling him to play long-ball football. It results in us constantly losing the ball and creating absolutely fuck all.

In quite a few games this season we've started out trying to knock the ball around, the game against Leicester was a prime example, but we always run out of gas and then get over run in midfield. I don't think that's down to tactics, it's just the central midfielders aren't physically capable of running for 90 minutes.

there's also games were the opposite is true though, and we only start playing football for the last half hour, as if it was our plan b. i think we're hitting it long with too much regularity for it not to come from Hughton. i reckon he thinks hitting it up to carroll and watching nolan struggling to latch onto haphazard knock-downs is a sound tactic. If the players are doing it from their own initiative it shows that Hughton has no control over them or just hasn't bothered to develop any sort of game plan. either way it doesn't paint a good picture of his managerial capabilities.

We're not playing well, but we're still comfortably top of the league. I honestly can't work out whether he's squeezing good results out of a poor group of players, or whether we'd be playing better and getting even better results if he was a bit more bold in his selections.

If we get promoted, I'd keep him on and see how he does with a bit of money to spend and the chance to start forming his own side.

there's also games were the opposite is true though, and we only start playing football for the last half hour, as if it was our plan b. i think we're hitting it long with too much regularity for it not to come from Hughton. i reckon he thinks hitting it up to carroll and watching nolan struggling to latch onto haphazard knock-downs is a sound tactic. If the players are doing it from their own initiative it shows that Hughton has no control over them or just hasn't bothered to develop any sort of game plan. either way it doesn't paint a good picture of his managerial capabilities.

I didn't see these same players performing any differently under Shearer though so I suspect it's more to do with the personnel. It might be that Hughton himself prefers the long ball or it might be that these players aren't capable of running for 90 mins in which case there's no other way of playing. Until we get in a couple of midifelders or get Barton involved again I haven't really made my mind up yet.

For me the most frustrating thing with Hughton this season has been his away tactics. I’ve praised him, criticised him and aired my opinion on his decisions many a time, but this particular aspect of his management just doesn’t wash nor does it bode well for the future.

I do feel sorry the guy, he’s inherited a paper thing squad, low on confidence and quality with little backing from the top brass to significantly change things. Despite this at home we’ve shown we can play. Even the inept pairing in the centre of midfield occasionally show they can do the basics. There have been times we’ve been outplayed at SJP this season but it’s evident we possess more confidence and a greater willingness to keep the ball on the floor in a 4-4-2.

On the road it’s a different story. We use more or less the same side but stick them into a defensive 4-5-1 and persist with a frustratingly predictable long ball game that opposition managers are quickly starting to cotton onto. The midfield is often bypassed and the forward is left isolated only for the ball to come straight back at them moments later.

It’s unnecessary and it’s cost us points this season. Of course there’s every chance a 4-4-2 may not have worked on the road but given the difference between our style of play home and away it certainly remains the more attractive option.

Yet we still have a pretty decent record on the road this season. The problem is should we earn our promotion and stick to the same stuff we’ll be punished more often not, something we’ve got away with so far this campaign.

"he’s inherited a paper thing squad, low on confidence and quality with little backing from the top brass to significantly change things."

and we're top and have been top almost all season

Why do people want to get rid of him - its crazy........................

For me the most frustrating thing with Hughton this season has been his away tactics. Ive praised him, criticised him and aired my opinion on his decisions many a time, but this particular aspect of his management just doesnt wash nor does it bode well for the future.

I do feel sorry the guy, hes inherited a paper thing squad, low on confidence and quality with little backing from the top brass to significantly change things. Despite this at home weve shown we can play. Even the inept pairing in the centre of midfield occasionally show they can do the basics. There have been times weve been outplayed at SJP this season but its evident we possess more confidence and a greater willingness to keep the ball on the floor in a 4-4-2.

On the road its a different story. We use more or less the same side but stick them into a defensive 4-5-1 and persist with a frustratingly predictable long ball game that opposition managers are quickly starting to cotton onto. The midfield is often bypassed and the forward is left isolated only for the ball to come straight back at them moments later.

Its unnecessary and its cost us points this season. Of course theres every chance a 4-4-2 may not have worked on the road but given the difference between our style of play home and away it certainly remains the more attractive option.

Yet we still have a pretty decent record on the road this season. The problem is should we earn our promotion and stick to the same stuff well be punished more often not, something weve got away with so far this campaign.

Haven't we won 6 games on the road this season?

For me the most frustrating thing with Hughton this season has been his away tactics. I’ve praised him, criticised him and aired my opinion on his decisions many a time, but this particular aspect of his management just doesn’t wash nor does it bode well for the future.

I do feel sorry the guy, he’s inherited a paper thing squad, low on confidence and quality with little backing from the top brass to significantly change things. Despite this at home we’ve shown we can play. Even the inept pairing in the centre of midfield occasionally show they can do the basics. There have been times we’ve been outplayed at SJP this season but it’s evident we possess more confidence and a greater willingness to keep the ball on the floor in a 4-4-2.

On the road it’s a different story. We use more or less the same side but stick them into a defensive 4-5-1 and persist with a frustratingly predictable long ball game that opposition managers are quickly starting to cotton onto. The midfield is often bypassed and the forward is left isolated only for the ball to come straight back at them moments later.

It’s unnecessary and it’s cost us points this season. Of course there’s every chance a 4-4-2 may not have worked on the road but given the difference between our style of play home and away it certainly remains the more attractive option.

Yet we still have a pretty decent record on the road this season. The problem is should we earn our promotion and stick to the same stuff we’ll be punished more often not, something we’ve got away with so far this campaign.

Haven't we won 6 games on the road this season?

Aye, hence the comment in the last paragraph.

and being top of the league.

We're not top of the league because of the way we attack.

We are top of the league because we have picked up more points than every other team.

I genuinely don't understand Ronaldo? Are you annoyed by the style of football or the results?

I don't like relying on the defence as much as we do, just like i posted 3 months back that I didn't like relying on Nolan's goals. We have no balance as an effective unit.

We all saw what happened when Colo got injured, we dropped points against QPR and Bristol and when Taylor joined him on the sidelines we lost to Forest and Scunthorpe.

I don't like relying on the defence as much as we do, just like i posted 3 months back that I didn't like relying on Nolan's goals. We have no balance as an effective unit.

We all saw what happened when Colo got injured, we dropped points against QPR and Bristol and when Taylor joined him on the sidelines we lost to Forest and Scunthorpe.

OK, i agree with those points but aren't they just proof as to why we needed defensive cover (if that's the way Hughton has decided to set up his team)?

I'm also not disagreeing that we play a defensive side, with a limited attacking outlook.

What i'm trying to point out is that we are top of the league, which was the fans expectations (or at least what we wanted) at the start of the season. Yet it seems that because of the way we play, people want Hughton out.

We play a much more defensive game which we never have really done before.

Its alien to the type of football played over the last 20 years but then again where did that get us?

The fact is we are clear at the top in a season where many predicted further relegation.

Why the bitchfest?  I'm amazed that we are where we are.... if we go up a revamp of the midfield is vital though, I think this is the major problem area and why we CANT be more creative.

I couldn't care less how we get the points. What i do care about is the fact that our wins seem to be predicated on very little.

You and I both know that a single defensive mistake in a game is likely to cost us points given our impotent attack. This isn't the case for Brom and Forest and it worries me.

Its alien to the type of football played over the last 20 years but then again where did that get us?

The fact is we are clear at the top in a season where many predicted further relegation.

Why the bitchfest?  I'm amazed that we are where we are.... if we go up a revamp of the midfield is vital though, I think this is the major problem area and why we CANT be more creative.

Pretty much this.

There's no doubting there are major improvements needed (if we get promoted) but i think what we have a achieved deserves recognition and Hughton deserves credit.

I couldn't care less how we get the points. What i do care about is the fact that our wins seem to be predicated on very little.

You and I both know that a single defensive mistake in a game is likely to cost us points given our impotent attack. This isn't the case for Brom and Forest and it worries me.

Forest are a good team, throughout their 11 i have been very impressed. West Brom look like they will drop more points than us TBH, there defensive is as bad as our attack.

Hopefully the introduction of Routledge, Best and Van Aanholt to a lesser extent will give us a different look to our team. Routledge and Jonas on the wings could be pivitol.

Nobody is holding a gun to Hughton's head and telling him to play long-ball football. It results in us constantly losing the ball and creating absolutely f*** all.

You need to take anger management class to have a meaningful life in the future. Can you describe long ball and short ball for me...

First of all you come in here sayng we've all got low IQ's now you're saying people need anger management.  :cheesy:

We're not playing well, but we're still comfortably top of the league. I honestly can't work out whether he's squeezing good results out of a poor group of players, or whether we'd be playing better and getting even better results if he was a bit more bold in his selections.

If we get promoted, I'd keep him on and see how he does with a bit of money to spend and the chance to start forming his own side.

By then it will be too late.

Forest are a good team, throughout their 11 i have been very impressed. West Brom look like they will drop more points than us TBH, there defensive is as bad as our attack.

Hopefully the introduction of Routledge, Best and Van Aanholt to a lesser extent will give us a different look to our team. Routledge and Jonas on the wings could be pivitol.

We definitely look better playing with 2 genuine wide players. Guthrie on the wing doesn't work. Seems simple but just a 4-4-2 will get us promoted. The question is who do we play in the middle?

Smith - Nolan seems too pedestrian but what alternatives? You might say Barton but he looked as slow during his last comeback and is highly unreliable fitness/personality wise

Pretty much this.

There's no doubting there are major improvements needed (if we get promoted) but i think what we have a achieved deserves recognition and Hughton deserves credit.

Credit is all well and good but if you can show me how being nice to CH will stop us getting relegated next year I'm all ears.

What it boils down to is basically that this kind of approach will get us killed next year if we do go up.

We're top of the league because our defense is too good for this league, the opposition at this level simply doesn't possess enough quality to take advantage of the few chances they get per game.

Anyone really think that the same defense is going to be so watertight against Premiership opposition next year if we do go up? You simply can't just hoof long balls at your strikers all day long in the Premiership and expect to get any sort of consistent success. Teams will find a way to score if you insist on giving the ball back to them immediately with hopeful long balls all day long.

People have a problem with Hughton because he doesn't even try and get our lads playing anything resembling good football. If he won't do it in this league, against inferior opposition, what chance he'll manage it against better opponents in the Premiership?