The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Howay man, you can't criticise him playing a team that beat Villa 6-0 and drew 1-1 with Wolves (and should have won by the sounds). I wished he'd changed things earlier but the starting lineup can't possibly be questioned IMO.

He did good today, i don't think he can be at fault for starting the same side, i just think he needs to learn from this game and start changing things around..

What exactly did he do good today?

He didn't do anything bad in my opinion, we can't always fault the manager..he started the same line-up that won 6-0, he made some good attacking changes, tried to change things around, just that they were players on the pitch today who were clearly under-performing and have let him down.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I was happy with keeping the same starting XI, my issues with him is the fact he didn't change anything at half time and left anything else too late.

I was happy with keeping the same starting XI, my issues with him is the fact he didn't change anything at half time and left anything else too late.

He has faith in his group of players..however he needs to realise that were not in the Championship anymore and some of them are just not good enough.

Howay man, you can't criticise him playing a team that beat Villa 6-0 and drew 1-1 with Wolves (and should have won by the sounds). I wished he'd changed things earlier but the starting lineup can't possibly be questioned IMO.

Nolan offers nothing when he doesn't score and he's not going to score many in this league.  He was poor in the Championship when he didn't score and he's more of a liability in this league against better players.  6-0 against Villa was a massive fluke and we scored with almost every shot we had.  Against Wolves he missed chances and he's done the same again today.

Let's not forget, he's one to learn from his mistakes. We've fucked up big time today, no denying. But he's going to make mistakes, it's one of the unfortunate circumstances of hiring someone who, let's be fair, is still cutting his teeth in the management game. We have to just pray he realises his mistakes, like he has in the past.

This is the biggest capitulation on this forum in all the time Hughton's been manager as far as I can remember, we're not going to fail on the back of this one game. Let's just hope he can see his faults and change as he has before. We had doubts when we lost to them early last season remember, we came back to storm the Championship. Faith people! Faith!

Guest sicko2ndbest

I agree and as a player you wouldn't expect to be dropped after one bad performance. Similarly a manager would normally give them another chance

I see the next fixture with the same starting line up. I wouldn't, but that's the way it tends to be.

I hope hughton again learns from his mistakes and uses smith like he used butt last year. Tiote and ben arfa need to get themselves into the starting line up asap

So far none of the players have given him an excuse to drop them - until yesterday.

If he'd taken Nolan, Smith etc. out of the first team for yesterday's game it would've been poor management IMO, because they've done nothing to warrant being dropped.

After yesterday's performance I think there's a reasonable argument for dropping Smith, and maybe Nolan as well.

So far none of the players have given him an excuse to drop them - until yesterday.

If he'd taken Nolan, Smith etc. out of the first team for yesterday's game it would've been poor management IMO, because they've done nothing to warrant being dropped.

After yesterday's performance I think there's a reasonable argument for dropping Smith, and maybe Nolan as well.

It's not as though he's been picking an 'in form' Butt/Smith etc. in recent times though is it? I understand the Nolan thing a bit more because he manged to score 2 the other week which you could argue is just but christ it doesn't constitute progress. Don't want to give him to much stick as I think he's brought this club on by leaps and bounds all things considered but I reckon he's going to have his approach to selection severely tested in the next few months.

Hughton was far too timid yesterday with his subs. He could have brought Ben Arfa on at half time following an insipid first 45. The Lovenkrands sub was baffling and he contributed precisely nothin in half an hour.

The only positive is that Hughton now has a ready made excuse to shake up the side for Everton. It wouldn't surprise me to see Campbell. Tiote and Ben Arfa all start.

Guest sicko2ndbest

His words this morning about Nolan, and seeing him as a forward player, are not re-assuring. Nolan will start against Everton imo.

I am not going to slate him for yesterday as he had to go with that side, but his subs should have been made earlier

Hughton was far too timid yesterday with his subs. He could have brought Ben Arfa on at half time following an insipid first 45. The Lovenkrands sub was baffling and he contributed precisely nothin in half an hour.

The only positive is that Hughton now has a ready made excuse to shake up the side for Everton. It wouldn't surprise mention to see Campbell. Tiote and Ben Arfa all start.

That's not how I saw it at all, thought he played alright and could have scored at least twice.

We know he was after a striker, he said it himself, and all those quotes tell me is that if the team do well then he won't need to buy anyone - Seems to be more of a threat/incentive to the current crop to me.

Guest neesy111

That might change if we are in the bottom 3 by christmas.

If we're in the bottom 3 by Xmas Hughton won't get the chance to spend a penny.

So your saying he'll be off if that happens?

That might change if we are in the bottom 3 by christmas.

If we're in the bottom 3 by Xmas Hughton won't get the chance to spend a penny.

So your saying he'll be off if that happens?

I'm saying I think Ashley will bin him if we're in the shit. Not saying I agree with it but it's what I think will happen. 

Fcking hell.

The toys are out of the pram already.

One unlucky defeat and the knives are out.  We controlled the game from the begining to the end apart from two mistakes.  we had plenty of chances to win it but it was just one of those days where no matter what you do you cant stick the balkl in the net.

Christ this forum has some serious swingers.