The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You've got to like the man...and has definitely improved the side. Don't think anyones saying he completely inept though either but taking Tiote off and leaving an anonymous Nolan on. Tis' asking to be questioned. Pulis' changes definitely helped but its double jeopardy with that sort of thinking

Taking off a defensive player and leaving on an offensive player when we need a goal. Shocking that like.

Taking off a player playing well and having a positive influence on our play and leaving on an anonymous player. That's pretty pants.

Not if we need a goal, imo. I thought Tiote was quietely brilliant today but of the two Nolan is far more likely to pop up with a goal.

We let Stoke back into it with negative tactics after half time, he took HBA off so early because he wanted us to sit and protect our lead. You can't sit on a one nil-lead, it's suicide because if the other team scores, the momentum shifts and it's hard to recover that. As soon as that second half started, we didn't take it to them and it was a conscious decision, our players weren't moving forward and weren't looking to get at Stoke

Correct.

People defending Hughton are exaggerating as much as those slating him. There's very few (only idiots) saying he should be sacked, we're just pointing the finger for a disappointing defeat - it's not like he's immune from criticism.

You've got to like the man...and has definitely improved the side. Don't think anyones saying he completely inept though either but taking Tiote off and leaving an anonymous Nolan on. Tis' asking to be questioned. Pulis' changes definitely helped but its double jeopardy with that sort of thinking

Taking off a defensive player and leaving on an offensive player when we need a goal. Shocking that like.

Tiote's not a defensive player from what I've seen so far though, he wins it but also drives us forward (far more than the insipid Barton who is trying to perfect the Nicky Butt aimless chip into the corner).

Tiote was absolutely bossing the central midfield imo.

You lot boil my piss at times like. One week the guy's a fucking messiah, the next week he should be sacked.

Have a word.

Who's saying he should be sacked?  ???

Don't take things so literally.

Being fair, the same could be said to you. :lol:

Well... Not really. :-/ My point was regarding the extremes that are drawn in knee-jerk after every match... I'm aware that nobody is LITERALLY calling for him to be sacked. I've already explained why I felt the Ben Arfa substitution wasn't as stupid as people are making out, reactions like "Hughton: fuck off!!!" to a decision that was, in my opinion, more enforced (fitness) than tactical, are cringeworthy as fuck.

If he's taking Ben Arfa off because he's knackered though, he should be pulling Nolan off after about twenty minutes.

tiote should have been left on, barton was forced to play deep when he came off.

think it was right to take Arfa off as the physical side of the game was getting to him plus he kept drifting in, losing our shape.

routledge wasnt much better either on the other side.

Bringing shola on was pointless against a side like stoke, saw a cross came to him today and he didnt even bother to jump.

it not the end of the world, stoke will and had beaten better teams than us before, just think about that.  Was angry with the blackpool defeat, aint happy about this one either.

:kinnear:

He's dropped Butt, he's dropped Smith, so I guess the final test now is if he drops Nolan. I've tried to convince myself that our captain is a good player, but the more I look at it the more he's the ultimate square peg in our team's round hole.

Tiote's not a defensive player from what I've seen so far though, he wins it but also drives us forward (far more than the insipid Barton who is trying to perfect the Nicky Butt aimless chip into the corner).

Barton was better than Tiote today. Barton's passing was nearly perfect for the whole game.

Barton was better than Tiote today. Barton's passing was nearly perfect for the whole game.

Get away man, he must have played that chip straight out of play about half a dozen times.

Taking off a player playing well and having a positive influence on our play and leaving on an anonymous player. That's pretty pants.

This basically. HBA was the player who was giving Stoke a hard time and taking him off so early just made no sense. Hughton seems to worry far too much about what other sides are going to do to us than what we can do to them. Half an hour to go was too early to shore up the defence and it played into their hands.

true they had two men jumping with carroll with every cross even drogba would have had a bad day. we try to out stoke, stoke in the first half and we wouldn't have scored, had it not been of the generous penalty.

u watching another game?  he had a few great hollywood passes but his crossing corners and freekicks was horrible fucking horrible.  his second half perfomance was piss poor, and this is coming from a barton fan.

Get away man, he must have played that chip straight out of play about half a dozen times.

His long balls to Carroll were perfect very often today.

His through balls were good, but that's always a bit of luck whether they get through or not.

His short passing was very accurate as well.

u watching another game?  he had a few great hollywood passes but his crossing corners and freekicks was horrible fucking horrible.  his second half perfomance was piss poor, and this is coming from a barton fan.

I've said that before, they took him out of the game in the 2nd half near perfectly because he was running the show in the 1st half.

I can't remember doing Tiote anything what was really countable today.

Barton was shite. How many times did he get into the box to support the strikers? If he can't do it in a home match when we have 64% of the possession when's he going to do it? Spent far too much time casually strolling around without any real intent.

Barton did that three times today - Carroll won a throw-in on one and corners on the other two. Butt's always went out for a goal kick.

I've said that before, they took him out of the game in the 2nd half near perfectly because he was running the show in the 1st half.

ur just one of those that never appreciate the water carrier.

he held up the midfield and showed great composure and directed the flow brilliantly, tracked back and protected the back four and went with the runners.   just because u didnt see him play any attacking balls foward dont mean he didnt have a good game man, wake up.

he had one dodgy moment in the first half when he dabbled on the ball outside our own box that was only one real negative i can give him.

Barton was s****. How many times did he get into the box to support the strikers? If he can't do it in a home match when we have 64% of the possession when's he going to do it? Spent far too much time casually strolling around without any real intent.

He's not supposed to get into the box. He's a deep lying playmaker of a type. I feel sorry for him, cause he and Ben arfa had no one to pass to. And if you didn't see that you're blind. There was no forwards to support as there was no ball.

A more static offensive line than the one lead by Carroll and Nolan today is hard to find. Maybe if you put an old man and Jabbahdahut up top there be less movement.

ur just one of those that never appreciate the water carrier.

he held up the midfield and should great composure and directed the flow brilliantly, tracked back and protected the back four and went with the runners.   just because u didnt see him play any attacking balls foward dont mean he didnt have a good game man, wake up.

he had one dodgy moment in the first half when he dabbled on the ball outside our own box that was only one real negative i can give him.

I saw Tiote losing the ball at least 3 times today in situations where it shouldn't had happend.

Btw, I very much appreciate players who aren't playing offensively... I just think that Tiote, compared with his performance against Everton, had a poor day today.

Barton was s****. How many times did he get into the box to support the strikers? If he can't do it in a home match when we have 64% of the possession when's he going to do it? Spent far too much time casually strolling around without any real intent.

He's not supposed to get into the box. He's a deep lying playmaker of a type. I feel sorry for him, cause he and Ben arfa had no one to pass to. And if you didn't see that you're blind. There was no forwards to support as there was no ball.

A more static offensive line than the one lead by Carroll and Nolan today is hard to find. Maybe if you put an old man and Jabbahdahut up top there be less movement.

exactly, nolan and carroll looked like they were still recovering from that nackering 90mins of mad endeaver vs the toffees, either that or they cuddnt be arsed, plus the stoke 10 man defence didnt exactly make it easy for them.