The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's a good article. He's saying exactly what I'd want to hear from a Newcastle manager.

First time we've been able to say that in a while too.

He's an easy guy to root for, would be nice to see him make a good job of it after some of the tossers we've had in charge in recent years (has any other club ever had three bigger arseholes than Kinnear, Souness and Fat Sam manage them in the space of a few years?).

I'm still unconvinced he's got what it takes, but he's earned a fair crack at it with what he did last year.

I'm quite interested to see what sort of formation he's planning to use, the fact that we don't appear to be looking at any strikers at all combined with the fact that Ben Arfa seems to reckon Hughton wants to play him in a free role has me thinking he wants to go with a 4-2-3-1 like Germany and Holland used at the World Cup.

I'm quite interested to see what sort of formation he's planning to use, the fact that we don't appear to be looking at any strikers at all combined with the fact that Ben Arfa seems to reckon Hughton wants to play him in a free role has me thinking he wants to go with a 4-2-3-1 like Germany and Holland used at the World Cup.

Would like to see us playing that formation. Carroll seems to be an ideal striker for that if he improves his ability to hold up the ball.

Routledge and Jonas on the wings and Nolan together with Barton in DM would certainly give us a good balanced team. The only thing what is missing is Ben Arfa to play that Özil/Sneijder part.

He's an easy guy to root for, would be nice to see him make a good job of it after some of the tossers we've had in charge in recent years (has any other club ever had three bigger arseholes than Kinnear, Souness and Fat Sam manage them in the space of a few years?).

I'm still unconvinced he's got what it takes, but he's earned a fair crack at it with what he did last year.

More or less my positon.

:thup:

Our depth on the wings is a bit of a question mark if we're going with that system though. Jonas and Routledge is solid enough as a starting pair, but what have we got after that?

Lovenkrands is usually awful when he plays on the wing. Would be nice to see Kazenga Lua Lua take a step up this year and look like someone who could be of some use to the first team, his pace alone could make him a useful option from the bench.

A lot riding on us getting that lunatic Ben Arfa signed IMO.

Anyone else really enthused about what it appears Hughton has said to Ben Arfa?

What was that exactly? He said something about playing him in a free role or something did he?

I started reading the Ben Arfa interview but my eyes began to vomit.

rather encouraging, thus far as manager hughton has actually done an excellent job man management wise if you ask me, the dressing room committee worked well last year

What was that exactly? He said something about playing him in a free role or something did he?

I started reading the Ben Arfa interview but my eyes began to vomit.

:lol:

Well it's not clear what was said, but obviously it was exciting enough to convince the player to want to come here and play for us. Also obviously implies Hughton wants a player in that über-creative mould in the team.

rather encouraging, thus far as manager hughton has actually done an excellent job man management wise if you ask me, the dressing room committee worked well last year

Don't be daft man, that just showed Hughton to be spineless and means Butt, Smith and Nolan manages the team.

I'd be highly encouraged if Hughton does want Ben Arfa to play in the hole in a 4-2-3-1 system, definitely.

Would show that he's not just going to try and play 4-4-2, long ball football with two big guys up front and try and grind out results.

Really hope he'll give Barton and Guthrie an extended run together in CM as well, no doubt they're the best duo we have in terms of trying to play through the middle a bit.