The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In other news, North Shields used car traders Biscuitmotorcompany will pick 2004 reg Renault Megane to win Formula 1.

Once we despatch Chelsea, Chris will negotiate a title fight with the winner of the Haye/Harrison bout.

Guest firetotheworks

He's still Learning, it was a tactical nightmare from hughton yesterday but he will learn. He has already said players will be picked on performance not their reputation, have faith

In hughton we trust

Divn't man.  :lol:

Not that I disagree, but that grates my balls.

He's still Learning, it was a tactical nightmare from hughton yesterday but he will learn. He has already said players will be picked on performance not their reputation, have faith

In hughton we trust

Noted, revert to stereotypical Geordie mindset, Hughton out!

Guest firetotheworks

In hughton we trust

HOUGHTON OUTON!!

In hughton we trust

HOUGHTON OUTON!!

:lol:

Fcking hell.

The toys are out of the pram already.

One unlucky defeat and the knives are out.  We controlled the game from the begining to the end apart from two mistakes.  we had plenty of chances to win it but it was just one of those days where no matter what you do you cant stick the balkl in the net.

Christ this forum has some serious swingers.

We did NOT control the game from start to finish - Harper saved our bacon  before we had even threatened their goal, and we were second-best in midfield for the entire first half.

The midfield should have been changed at HT.

So far none of the players have given him an excuse to drop them - until yesterday.

If he'd taken Nolan, Smith etc. out of the first team for yesterday's game it would've been poor management IMO, because they've done nothing to warrant being dropped.

After yesterday's performance I think there's a reasonable argument for dropping Smith, and maybe Nolan as well.

Couldn't agree more.  There was an argument for making the subs earlier and bring on Tiote.  However, these lads are new to the club (particularly Tiote) and he may have thought that it was too early to give Ben Arfa more than 20 mins.  It's the team selection against Everton that he should be judged on.

Whilst i dont think Hughton covered himself in glory yesterday, we could have easily been reflecting on a comfortable win had it not been for sloppy finishing and an inspired keeper.

Very disappointed with his decisions yesterday. To only make a sub in the 65th minute was a joke. In reailty he could have made a change after 30 minutes we were thatv poor. Fingers crossed, but the next three gam,es are very tough, and it could well be 7 games and only 5 or 6 points, and then all of a sudden we'll be on his back...

Whilst i dont think Hughton covered himself in glory yesterday, we could have easily been reflecting on a comfortable win had it not been for sloppy finishing and an inspired keeper.

Agree with this.

`An approach for Liverpool striker David N’Gog came to nothing, while Robbie Keane was close to joining from Spurs before deciding to stay and fight for his place at White Hart Lane.`

hope keane enjoys warming spurs bench for 3 months.  might change his tune by christmas!

Their keeper hardly had anything amazing to do though. Good save from Carroll but even that was straight at him.

That's because of the forwards/ Barton, though, rather than  Hughton. We created a lot of chances.

Fcking hell.

The toys are out of the pram already.

One unlucky defeat and the knives are out.  We controlled the game from the begining to the end apart from two mistakes.  we had plenty of chances to win it but it was just one of those days where no matter what you do you cant stick the balkl in the net.

Christ this forum has some serious swingers.

We did NOT control the game from start to finish - Harper saved our bacon  before we had even threatened their goal, and we were second-best in midfield for the entire first half.

The midfield should have been changed at HT.

But then in the second half, we controlled the midfield, even before changes we made- which suggests to me that the changes weren't necessary as soon as some people might think.

Out of all the criticism Hughton gets, there's one bit inparticular which enrages me.

"He'll not drop Smith/Nolan/Butt/Ameobi etc etc etc"

What a load of utter tripe. When has Hughton ever shown a stubbornness when it comes to team selection and sticking with players? Never. It's like people are inventing negative points about him. It went on last season, he wouldn't drop Smith or Butt but he fucking did. Now it's started already; he'll not drop Smith or Nolan. I'd happily put my house on Smith not playing against Everton.

Where do people get it from? Never has he shown a refusal to drop under performing players, yet some people continually come out with this shit.

Guest neesy111

Out of all the criticism Hughton gets, there's one bit inparticular which enrages me.

What a load of utter tripe. When has Hughton ever shown a stubbornness when it comes to team selection and sticking with players? Never. It's like people are inventing negative points about him. It went on last season, he wouldn't drop Smith or Butt but he fucking did. Now it's started already; he'll not drop Smith or Nolan. I'd happily put my house on Smith not playing against Everton.

Where do people get it from? Never has he shown a refusal to drop under performing players, yet some people continually come out with this shit.

People think he will drop smith.

Nolan is highly debatable as he hasn't done it yet.

Generally agree about everyone except Nolan and the hold he seems to have over his place in the team. We'll see against Everton I guess, I fully expect him to start.

Agree Zaius.

He won't have signed Tiote, an Ivory Coast international who started all their games in the WC, without any intention of playing him. It's obvious IMO that he's been brought in to replace Smith, and the reasons he didn't play yesterday was that he's been training with the team once or twice before the game and that Smith had done nothing in the last two games to deserve being dropped. The fact that Smith was the one who had to make way for Lövenkrands is another sign of Smith having to make way, he could easily have taken off any one from Jonas, Barton, Routledge and Nolan.

EDIT: Regarding Nolan, he was taken off for Ameobi against Man U.

I think Hughton often realises that Nolan isn't effective, the problem is that he realises it during the game rather than before it.

Maybe Nolan's position in the dressing room and his central role in the new 'team spirit' means Hughton is going with hope over expectation to avoid disrupting the squad.

It's going to be interesting because if we take Ben Arfa's word for it, Hughton promised him a playmaker role which would mean Nolan would probably drop back deep if he even gets a game at all. I think Hughton will surprise a few people tbh, he droppped Nolan back into midfield yesterday, showing his place 'upfront' is not as stable as it seems and it's not as if we don't have any replacements for captain, with both Barton and Coloccini taking the armband last season.