The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton:"I've mixed emotions about the game. They were down to 10 men for so long and it's disappointing we were not able to capitalise on that.

"But they played with great spirit and what often happens when you go down to 10 men it galvanises the team.

"The sending off also seemed to lift the crowd who felt aggrieved at what had happened."

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton:"I've mixed emotions about the game. They were down to 10 men for so long and it's disappointing we were not able to capitalise on that.

"But they played with great spirit and what often happens when you go down to 10 men it galvanises the team.

"The sending off also seemed to lift the crowd who felt aggrieved at what had happened."

Seriously, Chris, fuck off man.

Guest Stephen927

What else can he say? If he slates the team it'll ruin morale ahead of a big game on Friday. What he has said has deflected from the teams performances, he's protecting the players.

What else can he say? If he slates the team it'll ruin morale ahead of a big game on Friday. What he has said has deflected from the teams performances, he's protecting the players.

"I got it wrong today.

I apologise to the fans for my negative tactics and leading the team to a gutless draw against 10 men.

I promise never to play Nolan or Butt again and will play 4-4-2 for the rest of the season"

Would have been a start.

I don't want to lay into him too much, this season was and is massive for us. We absolutely have to get promoted this year, if we don't then I can see us being in the Championship for a very long time.

Whatever you say about him, he's got the players playing as a team, there seems to be a good spirit in the dressing room and that combined with some players who are too good for this division have carried us to where we are this season.

So he does deserve some credit, because I think he's steadied the ship a bit and gotten what was a rotten dressing room functioning as a unit.

However, today was a good indicator of why this guy has absolutely no business managing us if we're in the Premiership next season. His uselessness in terms of team selection and in game adjustments basically threw away 2 points today, and if Wellens had stayed on the field then I don't see any way where we don't lose today.

You can't just throw away points because you're manager doesn't know what he's doing and expect to do anything in the Premiership. Sadly, I can't see Ashley having the brains to get someone else in this summer if we do go up and we'll be more than likely set to come straight back down again.

Agree with all of it apart from the fact that I have a feeling MA will change manager in the summer if we go up.

Really?

Where does any such faith in Ashley come from?

I really, really can't see it.

Guest Stephen927

You're taking the piss right?

Nope.

You're taking the piss right?

Nope.

He could quite easily comment on the specifics of what we did wrong today & what we need to improve upon for next week. Protecting the players FFS :lol:

Guest Stephen927

He is deflecting attention away from our performance, he is trying to protect the players.. managers do it all the time..

Yes, he could quite easily comment on what we did wrong, but he hasn't, for obvious reasons.

Guest Stephen927

It's an away game.

He can't go criticising them or they'll beat him up on the bus home.

Can see Butt being the first one to go in with the wet willy.

Half Time ,take off Butt who was a waste of a shirt  throw on Jonas , wait and see , take off Nolan throw on Ranger,bottled it, they were there for the taking after the sending off , we are top of the league , go for the throat FFS,. wimp, can't wait too read "clean sheet away from home " "this set of lads bollocks", grow some chris we should be pissing this league by now., too many Carlings, apologies if I upset anyone

He is deflecting attention away from our performance, he is trying to protect the players.. managers do it all the time..

Yes, he could quite easily comment on what we did wrong, but he hasn't, for obvious reasons.

Maybe they need a kick up the arse? Certainly not playing with the same urgency or tempo as we had in the first part of the season.

Maybe they need a kick up the arse? Certainly not playing with the same urgency or tempo as we had in the first part of the season.

They all need an illegal death-grade Chinese rocket up their arses.

Exactly what I said earlier.

This whole 'nicey nicey' way of managing may be good at the time, but I'd rather have a successful team than a one that is bonding and happy together.

He won't give them a kick up the arse, and as a result they won't give him the respect that they would a better manager who came in and took control of the situation. If they don't fully respect him, they'll play the s*** they have all season.

Guest Stephen927

Giving the players a kick up the arse through the media isn't the right way to go about it. He won't expect the players to openly criticise him in the media, same works with the players. This kind of thing should stay in house, show a united front in the press but tell the players in the dressing room to sort it out.

Good managers also know when to have a go at their players also, and today was an ideal opportunity to talk about not taking promotion for granted & the need to raise their game after the performances in the last month or so, otherwise they might miss out on what they've worked so hard for (sic).

Unless of course he knows he played a massive part in what happened today or won't stand up to the players.

Despite what they say in the press, they play on the pitch like promotion is already clinched. They need that attitude beaten out of them, and a slating from the boss would do just that.

fuck team morale, they need to pull their fingers out and actually earn their wages.

Giving the players a kick up the arse through the media isn't the right way to go about it. He won't expect the players to openly criticise him in the media, same works with the players. This kind of thing should stay in house, show a united front in the press but tell the players in the dressing room to sort it out.

The first bit is one of the daftest things i've ever read, "don't say nasty things about me and I'll not say bad things about you guys". :lol:

And you really think the second bit will be happening? :lol:

I don't want to lay into him too much, this season was and is massive for us. We absolutely have to get promoted this year, if we don't then I can see us being in the Championship for a very long time.

Whatever you say about him, he's got the players playing as a team, there seems to be a good spirit in the dressing room and that combined with some players who are too good for this division have carried us to where we are this season.

So he does deserve some credit, because I think he's steadied the ship a bit and gotten what was a rotten dressing room functioning as a unit.

However, today was a good indicator of why this guy has absolutely no business managing us if we're in the Premiership next season. His uselessness in terms of team selection and in game adjustments basically threw away 2 points today, and if Wellens had stayed on the field then I don't see any way where we don't lose today.

You can't just throw away points because you're manager doesn't know what he's doing and expect to do anything in the Premiership. Sadly, I can't see Ashley having the brains to get someone else in this summer if we do go up and we'll be more than likely set to come straight back down again.

Agree with all of it apart from the fact that I have a feeling MA will change manager in the summer if we go up.

Really?

Where does any such faith in Ashley come from?

I really, really can't see it.

The first signs that he is beginning to get it is the decent window we're having. Good solid purchases and in Routledge an inspired one. The other thing is if he doesn;t change it in the summer a run of losses will make him act. Whichever way it goes hughton won't be in charge next Christmas.