The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's managed to come up with a system at home which is allowing the worst sides in the division to come and pick us off.

Be interesting to see exactly how many points we have to give to our relegation rivals before he does something about it.

Nolan's influence over substitutions isn't even worth discussing now as Hughton clearly doesn't even have the balls to take him off when it's clear he's the weak link, never mind take him out of the starting line up altogether.

TBF to Hughton I think his inability to drop Nolan is a specific rather than general problem of his. He dropped Smith, he didn't put Campbell straight in etc.

It's just this particular player he seems to rate way above his actual ability. The fact that Nolan pops up occasionally with a goal also helps to mask the fact he's useless in general.

Looks like teams have sussed us out, and we dont have plan B.  We are a 1 one dimensional team who are above ave, without being brilliant.  IF a team nullifies our main way of playing we have nothing else in reply.

PLan B is seemingly to get it on carrols head, sadly tho, the crossing just isnt there.

Not sure hughton is learning fast enough between games.  He seems to be clinging to tactics that worked 6months ago, and doesnt as yet have anything new for this lvl of play.

Hes gonna have to create a min of one ofther style of play so we can alternate, and throw teams out of tempo.  Far too sterile atmo.

Nolan should be used as a 2nd halfsub at home.  Ben arfa(starting) off carrolL with jonas starting, and replaced with Ferguson as replacement (he can actually cross).

True - but the reason that crosses are not coming into Carroll(I mean from the bye-line and NOT thumped in from halfway between Pen area and HW line..!) is because the wingers/fullbacks are not getting past the last defender and pulling the ball back. Unless you do this, a player like Carroll is totally wasted.

Can see him leaving if he keeps getting lousy service and his head will go down.

Routledge was lousy yesterday and although Jonas is best at getting to the line, he can't cross very well.

We lack real quality in one or two crucial positions.

He's managed to come up with a system at home which is allowing the worst sides in the division to come and pick us off.

Be interesting to see exactly how many points we have to give to our relegation rivals before he does something about it.

Nolan's influence over substitutions isn't even worth discussing now as Hughton clearly doesn't even have the balls to take him off when it's clear he's the weak link, never mind take him out of the starting line up altogether.

Yes, true. The question is , what will he do about it ?

Can't wait to see the reaction if Hughton is still pulling the same shit come the Mackem game. Playing Nolan undeservedly till the final kick while subbing off a wasted HBA on the left wing and our best defensive player. There will be sack calls Andy, not from me, but nailed on though.

Guest neesy111

That would explain Shola for Tiote but not Ben Arfa off, although do we know if he's got 90mins in the tank yet?

How long did he last against Everton? While having a total rest midweek.

80 mins, then he went off after picking a knock.

Chris Hughton believed Newcastle learned a valuable lesson after Stoke came from behind to win at St James' Park.

Kevin Nolan put the Magpies ahead via the penalty spot two minutes before the interval after Andy Carroll was blocked by Robert Huth in the box.

But the Potters improved after the break and levelled via Kenwyne Jones before James Perch headed into his own net late on as Newcastleslumped to a second successive home defeat after the loss to Blackpool the time before.

Hughton told Sky Sports: "We perhaps needed to do more to go and win the game and we did not.

"At times our final ball let us down, we did not test a back four that is very strong, didn't test them enough and I think we have perhaps learnt something today."

Hughton added he was realistic to know his side will face tough tests this season as they seek to establish themselves back in the top flight.

"We are now playing in a lot tougher league than we were last season," he said.

"We knew that there were going to be lows. We knew we're going to lose more games than what we did last season and it is about picking up this group of lads, having that same belief that we have had in the last couple of games (victories at Everton and Chelsea) and going into the next games and learning the valuable lessons that we have to learn from each game."

hindsight is a wonderful thing,  at the match yesterday i agreed with his subs at the time,  for me it was a toss up between HBA and routledge and both were out the game and quiet at the time of the substitution(would've preferred routledge off tho) and in a home game when we were looking to win the game you don't need a defensive midfielder in the side.

Guest firetotheworks

hindsight is a wonderful thing,  at the match yesterday i agreed with his subs at the time,  for me it was a toss up between HBA and routledge and both were out the game and quiet at the time of the substitution(would've preferred routledge off tho) and in a home game when we were looking to win the game you don't need a defensive midfielder in the side.

That's not a one size fits all though. Tiote was mopping everything up, and stopping a lot of their attacks from their source. It was a baffling decision to take him off.

That's not a one size fits all though. Tiote was mopping everything up, and stopping a lot of their attacks from their source. It was a baffling decision to take him off.

yes i know but who was more likely to pop up and get us a possible winner,  Tiote or Nolan/Barton??

its not as if we were defending a point, we were trying to get 3.

Enrique's comments on Hughton's post-match rocket to the team.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news//tm_headline=magpies-ace-enrique-reveals-hughton-s-fury%26method=full%26objectid=27349464%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Just a little worrying. I'd tend to agree with Enrique - that it's better to leave these inquests for a point when everyone's calmed down a bit. There are some managers who make a policy of this.

Hughton added he was realistic to know his side will face tough tests this season as they seek to establish themselves back in the top flight.

"We are now playing in a lot tougher league than we were last season," he said.

Even last season we were often outplayed by second tier teams but at that level you don't get punished. I think Hughton would be better off not dwelling too much on losing goals to set pieces, but why in the second half we couldn't keep possession which allowed them to pressure us into conceding free kicks. Stoke barely has a kick in the first half and HBA was one of the highlights as he brought the ball out and rarely lost the ball. Then Hughton subbed him and we lost two goals.

That's what I thought when I was watching the match on TV. Same goes with your point about goalscorers being on for the Tiote sub, agreed with that at the time too. Nolan had that chance at the end, missed it the cunt. The best solution for everything of course would be to drop Nolan.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I do understand why HBA was brought off, he wasn't very effective and looked a bit tired, but bringing off Tiote was strange. Hughton has brought off Nolan before in favour of a striker (Ameobi) and the same should have been done yesterday. Although Tiote wasn't "great" yesterday he would have perhaps kept us solid against their pressure for longer and kept the game at 1-1 or won it.

I do understand why HBA was brought off, he wasn't very effective and looked a bit tired, but bringing off Tiote was strange. Hughton has brought off Nolan before in favour of a striker (Ameobi) and the same should have been done yesterday. Although Tiote wasn't "great" yesterday he would have perhaps kept us solid against their pressure for longer and kept the game at 1-1 or won it.

i think it was a case of going for it tbh with tiote coming off, fairly standard stuff take off the holding player and shove on a striker, problem is shola and carroll cant really play together if you ask me more a case of lovenkrands for tiote and shola for carroll imo but easy to say that in hindsight

Said he made the changes because he wanted to have goal-scorers on the pitch, hmmm

If the goalscoreres can't get the ball cause we've lost our midfield shape and Tiote isn't there to get the ball back it's completely pointless.

Guest neesy111

Said he made the changes because he wanted to have goal-scorers on the pitch, hmmm

If the goalscoreres can't get the ball cause we've lost our midfield shape and Tiote isn't there to get the ball back it's completely pointless.

Exactly what I was thinking.