The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've been trying to keep the faith, but too many times he has demonstrated an unwillingness to change things when they clearly weren't working. Either he can't see they're not working or he doesn't have the courage to change things, both those answers are disturbing.

The results and performances are starting to look like us when we went down. Not all hughton's fault but ultimately he carries the can as manager. Better managers than him have been binned and I wouldn't be at all surprised if ashley sacked him before xmas. :neutral:

He got it wrong in selecting Lovenkrands and playing a central midfielder out wide where he has proven even at a lower level to be ineffective.

He should have made changes at half time too.

I could see the thinking behind it though. Routledge needed a reminder that he can't just waltz into the team every week - he deserved to be dropped. Guthrie was the only real option, maybe Ryan Taylor.

Lovenkrands and Carroll was the main partnership last season. He rectified it by bringing Shola on in good time.

While I get frustrated with his team make up most weeks - Guthrie has rarely looked interested in playing wide, and he hasn't got the pace to do it anyway - Hughton still seems like a fairly intelligent bloke and I reckon will go on to be one of the better managers in English football. We just need to get through this season. 

I could see the thinking behind it though. Routledge needed a reminder that he can't just waltz into the team every week - he deserved to be dropped. Guthrie was the only real option, maybe Ryan Taylor.

Lovenkrands and Carroll was the main partnership last season. He rectified it by bringing Shola on in good time.

Problem is that neither Lovenkrands OR Routledge are PL players - Routledge has been moved on from at least 2 PL clubs and as for Loven...he's never even played for one apart from NUFC, and he's HOW old..?

Face the facts - we have  a squad of players in which the majority are CCC standard.

He got it wrong in selecting Lovenkrands and playing a central midfielder out wide where he has proven even at a lower level to be ineffective.

He should have made changes at half time too.

if the majority of the players are rubbish you can't do very much with them

The problem same as in recent weeks was letting teams come up here & play their own game, knocking it about while we stand off and watch them.  Quite clearly under instruction as well. 

We still need to play two up front at home, part of the problem now is whoever comes in now be it Lovenkrands, Shola or Ranger are now two months behind everyone else in terms of proper match fitness.

Even that won't work if the midfield won't put any pressure on the opposition until they're well inside our half.

The problem same as in recent weeks was letting teams come up here & play their own game, knocking it about while we stand off and watch them. Quite clearly under instruction as well.

We still need to play two up front at home, part of the problem now is whoever comes in now be it Lovenkrands, Shola or Ranger are now two months behind everyone else in terms of proper match fitness.

Even that won't work if the midfield won't put any pressure on the opposition until they're well inside our half.

The lack of pressure from our midfield and strikers yesterday was shocking. Wigan were taking the piss at times y'day.

The problem same as in recent weeks was letting teams come up here & play their own game, knocking it about while we stand off and watch them.  Quite clearly under instruction as well. 

The lack of pressure from our midfield and strikers yesterday was shocking. Wigan were taking the piss at times y'day.

Couple of times in the first half Carroll was waving his arms trying to get them to move forward when not in possesion.  The fact that none of them did is what convinced me that they'd been told not to.

Couple of times in the first half Carroll was waving his arms trying to get them to move forward when not in possesion.  The fact that none of them did is what convinced me that they'd been told not to.

Aye I noticed that. Seemed that Lovenkrands in particular was reluctant to go and close down the defenders compared to what he is normally like.

There havent been many times when ppl have been able to hammer Hughton for finally doing something that had been obvious to most for a while, which has then gone really well and proved he was being slow.

Instead he normally does finally what most want, it doesnt go to plan. Then everyone goes ohh & goes off to find other issues they know better on instead.

I've changed my mind. Having read his comments re:Perch and his opinions on yesterday's game - namely this:

“I think it was a massively important point,” the Newcastle boss said. “We were at home, we set our stall out and with the formation we had we set out to win the game.

“We knew we were on the back of two home defeats and it’s not something that we wanted to continue. St James’ was a fortress last year and the only way we can do that is to draw out some results here.

“We showed our intent with the formation we went for but there was difficulties in that. They kept the ball very well and in a first-half period we had times when we weren’t keeping it well enough.

“In the end we showed great character and quality towards the end to get back into it.

“I thought it was a very well deserved point in the end. We battled hard against a very good and very well-drilled Wigan side that showed why they have got results away from home that they have got.”

He's becoming completely clueless, and not learning quickly enough. His 'learning curves' could cost us Premier League survival if we're not careful.

Guest neesy111

I've changed my mind. Having read his comments re:Perch and his opinions on yesterday's game - namely this:

“I think it was a massively important point,” the Newcastle boss said. “We were at home, we set our stall out and with the formation we had we set out to win the game.

“We knew we were on the back of two home defeats and it’s not something that we wanted to continue. St James’ was a fortress last year and the only way we can do that is to draw out some results here.

“We showed our intent with the formation we went for but there was difficulties in that. They kept the ball very well and in a first-half period we had times when we weren’t keeping it well enough.

“In the end we showed great character and quality towards the end to get back into it.

“I thought it was a very well deserved point in the end. We battled hard against a very good and very well-drilled Wigan side that showed why they have got results away from home that they have got.”

He's becoming completely clueless, and not learning quickly enough. His 'learning curves' could cost us Premier League survival if we're not careful.

My thinking as well.

My thinking as well.

Comments show that he's now grasping at straws - this was a HOME game against a side whose town is more famous for Rugby, for goodness' sake...!

And for those sympathisers who say he has to say something like that in the papers - I'm not wanting to draw the great man into this, but this should have been his reaction yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT90OLq6Ge8

Look, that's a valid point, but Sir Bobby had a lot more respect within the game and from the supporters - Hughton a) doesn't have it in his character to go off on one like that and b) would be slaughtered by the media (and probably lose the players) if he did.

Given his status, I think smiling while eating shit is the only way he can go at the moment - when he's at home he can kick the cat.

I hope he knows all the things we can see, but he can only do so much with the players he has. At least, that's what I'm hoping...