The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I voted yes. I think he was predictably given little money to strengthen but did his best in the transfer market. He's basically been restricted to signing freebies or bargain buys. Williamson was a very good signing, Tiote looks a steal and Routledge at the time was a good signing. Lovenkrands was free and we desperately needed pace, for all his limitations. Simpson was cheap and Ben Arfa looked a bargain. Campbell and Gosling both frees.

His only errors of judgement were Perch and Best, two players we didn't need and frankly strange signings. Still don't know why he wasted precious coin bringing them in. But both were cheap once again.

Really, he's had very little to spend but has galvanized the squad. We were always in for a struggle. I'm not sure another manager could have done much better with those resources. I agree with others who say that stability is the one thing we have going for us at the moment. I think we look capable of playing decent stuff but lack firepower and that will only be fixed by either getting Ben Arfa fit (impossible) or signing a good forward and they are often the most expensive players. I just don't see Ashley releasing the funds.

His only forwards are an unproven but promising kid, Ameobi and a guy with a broken leg. I don't think many managers would fancy their chances with that kind of strikeforce.

Guest MrBrown

He was keen on getting in a decent striker this summer, too, which just goes to show, again, that he's aware of our shortcomings.

When there was a poll are the beginning of the season, all but a few expected a big struggle this season.  And now that we are struggling as everyone expected, the campaign to have another manager sacking has started.  After 8 bloody games.  Ridiculous. 

What did you think a difficult season looked like?  Comfortable victories at home and the odd battering against the top 4?  That is mid table form.

And if he does get sacked for failing to get us comfortably mid table after 8 games, then who are we replacing him with?

What people DIDN'T expect was sub-standard performances at home against mediocre sides, or that the sides who were promoted behind us would be playing better and more effective football...

The only part of your post I agree with is the last bit.

The last championship winner to hold their own in the top flight at the first attempt was Keegan. So that doesn't prove anything really.

Not that I'm saying sack him, but we'll deserve to go down just as much by hanging on to someone out of their depth because they got us up.

err Sunderland? Man City? Bolton? Fulham? - there's quite a few that have come up and 'held their own' since Keegan

I voted yes. I think he was predictably given little money to strengthen but did his best in the transfer market. He's basically been restricted to signing freebies or bargain buys. Williamson was a very good signing, Tiote looks a steal and Routledge at the time was a good signing. Lovenkrands was free and we desperately needed pace, for all his limitations. Simpson was cheap and Ben Arfa looked a bargain. Campbell and Gosling both frees.

His only errors of judgement were Perch and Best, two players we didn't need and frankly strange signings. Still don't know why he wasted precious coin bringing them in. But both were cheap once again.

Really, he's had very little to spend but has galvanized the squad. We were always in for a struggle. I'm not sure another manager could have done much better with those resources. I agree with others who say that stability is the one thing we have going for us at the moment. I think we look capable of playing decent stuff but lack firepower and that will only be fixed by either getting Ben Arfa fit (impossible) or signing a good forward and they are often the most expensive players. I just don't see Ashley releasing the funds.

His only forwards are an unproven but promising kid, Ameobi and a guy with a broken leg. I don't think many managers would fancy their chances with that kind of strikeforce.

In view of the Gonzalez thing re agents, were Best and Perch perhaps favours to agents?

I think best and perch were signed because we needed a forward and a right back. Unfortunately with shirt buttons (definitely in best's case) and missing out on your first choices you have to get what you can. Neither look up to it but good players normally cost a fair bit, if you don't have a fair bit you have to gamble.

The last championship winner to hold their own in the top flight at the first attempt was Keegan. So that doesn't prove anything really.

Not that I'm saying sack him, but we'll deserve to go down just as much by hanging on to someone out of their depth because they got us up.

err Sunderland? Man City? Bolton? Fulham? - there's quite a few that have come up and 'held their own' since Keegan

Managers. All those had experienced top flight managers apart from Bolton who didn't win the league. Mowbray, Keane, Mccarthy MK1, Worthington, Robson were all out of their depth and did or were taking their teams back down.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

"If we're to believe what we read, Coloccini's goal saved Chris Hughton's job at the weekend" - MNF. The self created media pressure begins :(

"If we're to believe what we read, Coloccini's goal saved Chris Hughton's job at the weekend" - MNF. The self created media pressure begins :(

daily fail said it but the media are sharpering their knives as they typically do