The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houllier put it well recently in an interview, saying there are two things in football, performances and results.

For years we have had poor performances but scraped a few wins and survived. Souness's team played some abysmal football but he had the luxury of a couple of matchwinners in his squad who could pull out a result for him. It's the other way round this time if you ask me, our football is decent but we lack the forwards to turn performances into results. They're often the most expensive players because they will do that for you. Hughton has lost his best forward player. Look at our bench man. You can talk about tactics all day but Ameobi is Ameobi and Lovenkrands is Lovenkrands. Carroll hardly has any Premier League goals in his career yet he is our main hope. Until January, and possibly the end of the season, this is our lot and yeah, we'll struggle. Mourinho would struggle with this squad.

Do you really want to roll the dice again with Ashley calling the shots? The same man who appointed Joe Kinnear, the same man who you know will not pay up for a top manager even if we could attract one? The same owner who sold players for profit as the club fought relegation? I thoroughly believe Ashley's aim is bare survival and he wants rid of the club - his actions back that up.

Stick with Hughton and I believe we'll survive but it won't be comfortable. Maybe 15th or so, higher if he has some funds in January to strengthen. Let Ashley bring in any random manager and I could see us going down to be honest.

I feel pretty much entirely this way.  Changing managers is not the correct option at this point.  Let's get some players in during the next window and go from there.  We won't be dead in the water come January so there's no need to panic.

Houllier put it well recently in an interview, saying there are two things in football, performances and results.

For years we have had poor performances but scraped a few wins and survived. Souness's team played some abysmal football but he had the luxury of a couple of matchwinners in his squad who could pull out a result for him. It's the other way round this time if you ask me, our football is decent but we lack the forwards to turn performances into results. They're often the most expensive players because they will do that for you. Hughton has lost his best forward player. Look at our bench man. You can talk about tactics all day but Ameobi is Ameobi and Lovenkrands is Lovenkrands. Carroll hardly has any Premier League goals in his career yet he is our main hope. Until January, and possibly the end of the season, this is our lot and yeah, we'll struggle. Mourinho would struggle with this squad.

Do you really want to roll the dice again with Ashley calling the shots? The same man who appointed Joe Kinnear, the same man who you know will not pay up for a top manager even if we could attract one? The same owner who sold players for profit as the club fought relegation? I thoroughly believe Ashley's aim is bare survival and he wants rid of the club - his actions back that up.

Stick with Hughton and I believe we'll survive but it won't be comfortable. Maybe 15th or so, higher if he has some funds in January to strengthen. Let Ashley bring in any random manager and I could see us going down to be honest.

Very sensible post... at this point it's just that bit of quality that we're missing. Ben Arfa would have provided it, now we need to reach into the wallet again to make us more confident of survival.

For me Hughton has done a very good job, 3 or 4 dodgy results is nowhere near enough to change that view.

Routledge will come back. He needs to focus on working the channels more as opposed to hugging the touchline. Usually there's nobody waiting for that cross so he hesitates and gives himself an extra man to beat. Thought he was very good against Wolves and Everton.

Agreed, he has made himself very easy to mark in his last few starts. He has to play though because his presence on the fields means teams can't put so many men against Jose and Jonas unlike when Guthrie/Barton/whoever else starts out on the right.

Routledge will come back. He needs to focus on working the channels more as opposed to hugging the touchline. Usually there's nobody waiting for that cross so he hesitates and gives himself an extra man to beat. Thought he was very good against Wolves and Everton.

Agreed, he has made himself very easy to mark in his last few starts. He has to play though because his presence on the fields means teams can't put so many men against Jose and Jonas unlike when Guthrie/Barton/whoever else starts out on the right.

Totally agree with this, it's so obvious to see that we don't look the same team without a right winger to take some pressure off the lads on the left.

There's no debate worth having really, Routledge is the only player we have capable of doing that job to a decent level.

But he loses the ball sometimes and can't cross! I'd much prefer someone who wanders in field and adds nothing to the team.

:shifty:

At least if he does that the onrushing right full back is good going forward...good defensively...good at picking up bookings.

tweeted Bird about that story, saying surely its bollocks, didn't get a reply directly, but he's just tweeted

simonbirdmirror

Club confirmed no truth in kinnear rumours yest but that was chopped out of paper story today. Hughton safe for now but needs results #nufc

pretty much admitting he was going to have a load of bullshit printed?

Much of what you say is common sense - as I said in an earlier post, there is no point in firing the manager unless a better one is available to the club and clearly, it is unlikely to happen if Ashley is unwilling to provide him with a decent budget. Nevertheless, I am unconvinced that Hughton IS going to be able to keep the club up - whether someone else could do it is a moot point because we are unlikely to find out unless we lose a few more games on the trot.

However, if we are waiting for Ashley to sell the club before we make progress, we will wait an awful long time...nobody with big bucks has shown the slightest interest in buying it and unless we stay up this season, nobody will in the near future.

How long many fans are prepared to wait while the club struggles on for several seasons I do not know - after all, there are going to be plenty of people who will be trying to save money in the current financial climate and if crowds drop the club becomes even less attractive. Relegation this season would kill interest for many supporters and would act as a further deterrent to would be buyers, so it is critical that we stay up.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

tweeted Bird about that story, saying surely its bollocks, didn't get a reply directly, but he's just tweeted

simonbirdmirror

Club confirmed no truth in kinnear rumours yest but that was chopped out of paper story today. Hughton safe for now but needs results #nufc

Pretty much. This is what he said on twitter the other day when I pulled him and Mark Douglas up on printing unwarranted crap towards Hughton:

simonbirdmirror

Agree it is premature. But he has to prove himself in top flight. 2-3 months patience needed

18 Oct at 19:39

2 days later he's printing more crap.

Guest neesy111

It's a results business, so if Hughton get's the results he'll be fine, if he doesn't then it'll be difficult for him, also the fact that isn't helping Hughton is how both Blackpool and West Brom are doing better than us as well.

simonbirdmirror

Pretty much. This is what he said on twitter the other day when I pulled him and Mark Douglas up on printing unwarranted crap towards Hughton:

simonbirdmirror

Agree it is premature. But he has to prove himself in top flight. 2-3 months patience needed

18 Oct at 19:39

2 days later he's printing more crap.

Mark Douglas has now updated his Sunday Sun blog saying the rumour came from Mick Harford and that we should stick by Hughton

http://blog.sundaysun.co.uk/2010/10/joe-kinnear---not-coming-to-a.html

I'm not sure I can put in to words just how enraged I would be if Kinnear and Harford managed to weasel their way back in to NUFC. I'm literally shaking with rage just thinking about it.

aye, he came in, swore a lot, nearly died, then shuffled off sideways.... and should stay there

Guest neesy111

There is absolutely no way Joe Kinnear is coming anywhere near NUFC, what a load of bollocks.

I wouldn't say it's 100% though, not with Fat Mike in-charge.

There is absolutely no way Joe Kinnear is coming anywhere near NUFC, what a load of bollocks.

True, I was thinking that as I wrote it.

Also just want to say that I love your use of punctuation neesy, the apostrophe, capital letter and hyphen can do magical things in your hands!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

True, I was thinking that as I wrote it.

Also just want to say that I love your use of punctuation neesy, the apostrophe, capital letter and hyphen can do magical things in your hands!

Don't be too impressed:

http://www.inpapasbasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/prayformojo.jpg