The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I do wonder whether MA would still like to sell the club, and doesn't want a long-term contract for a manager and coach to get in the way. Despite the way that things have turned around, owning the club hasn't turned out to be the fun ride that he was hoping for initially, and it never will be. Unless you're some indulgent sugardaddy who's willing to keep on paying, you're bound to get some flack.

He also thought he could put a Chief Exec in place and sit back and watch. In reality, he's had to be far more hands on.

If the club stabilise in the Premiership, he may be hoping to sell it on at the end of the season.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2010/11/14/hughton-on-united-pride-at-carroll-england-call-79310-27654193/2/

"Meanwhile, the Sunday Sun understands that Hughton is close to finally penning a new long-term contract.

Negotiations have moved forward and the deal is set to be signed next month in a move that the Toon boss must hope will aid his hunt for a No 2.

Hughton admitted “frustration” last night that he has made no progress on that front.

Several credible candidates have expressed reservations about taking the job while Hughton’s own contract situation has not been resolved."

The home and away form is quite simple really. Away - sides come at us and we tend to absorb and have larger gaps/space to hit them on. At home most sides sit deep or play an uptempo pressing game and we don't have the creativity when there is less space/gaps to break them down. This didn't apply to the derby for obvious reasons and the Villa game was a freak result as they were a bit at 6's and 7's just after MON jumped ship, you could see the heads drop as soon as they went behind. We will continue to struggle at home untill Bafra comes back or we get a good support striker for Carroll to play with.

The home and away form is quite simple really. Away - sides come at us and we tend to absorb and have larger gaps/space to hit them on. At home most sides sit deep or play an uptempo pressing game and we don't have the creativity when there is less space/gaps to break them down. This didn't apply to the derby for obvious reasons and the Villa game was a freak result as they were a bit at 6's and 7's just after MON jumped ship, you could see the heads drop as soon as they went behind.

Yeah, this is where we could have done with a Beardsley-Bellamy striker to open up defences. Hughton was pinning a lot of hope in Ben Arfa, so his injury is limiting our development a bit.

The home and away form is quite simple really. Away - sides come at us and we tend to absorb and have larger gaps/space to hit them on. At home most sides sit deep or play an uptempo pressing game and we don't have the creativity when there is less space/gaps to break them down. This didn't apply to the derby for obvious reasons and the Villa game was a freak result as they were a bit at 6's and 7's just after MON jumped ship, you could see the heads drop as soon as they went behind.

Yeah, this is where we could have done with a Beardsley-Bellamy striker to open up defences. Hughton was pinning a lot of hope in Ben Arfa, so his injury is limiting our development a bit.

See edit above.  :aww:

Too late. Your post was exposed as horribly incomplete.

Too late. Your post was exposed as horribly incomplete.

:frantic:

Some seem desperate to fail or thrive on misery, it's a bit depressing really.

Equally you could say some refuse to see what's in front of them. :thup:

I see a manager who is struggling by with limited backing but still exceeding expectations. I also don't see anyone half decent coming to work under the same conditions, not anyone who would do any better anyway.

We struggle at home because teams tend to sit back and try to shut us out, the one player Hughton managed to get in that could do that something special to break down these teams suffered a long term injury early on. Apart from pulling a similar player out of his arse he looks to be in a complicated situation that is harder to resolve in reality than it is on messageboards.

Obviously I would think so but I think my view is a balanced one that doesn't stray too far towards over negativity or crazy optimism/support.

I'm interested to know who these brilliant managers are who we should appoint in his place. Presumably one of the six ahead of us in the Premier League at the moment. If the boss in 7th is "out of his depth", fuck knows what the other 13 are.

Hughton has raised everyone's expectations by getting the team to put in some top, top performances.  I think most on the forum were predicting relegation or a 17th place finish before the season.  Regardless of what standards Hughton has set, the aim is still to stay up.

There's too much negativity considering the position we are in, regardless of who we have played, 7th place is mental after about a third of the season.  The way people are going on you'd think our remaining home games were against the top 4.  We still have Wolves, West Ham, West Brom and a few others to play at home and I know we haven't won our 'winnable' games so far but I'm confident we'll pick up points in those games.

As long as we're not cut adrift (which I don't think we will be) coming into the last few games we'll be fine.  Give this team those last few games of the 08/09 season and we'd stay up.  This team has shown they came come back from demoralising defeats, we DO have team spirit.  I doubted the claims coming from the team when they said team spirit was there and thought give it a few defeats and it will go...but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Good post.

Some people predicted we'd be playing in the same league as Hartlepool this season, about 15 months ago.

Wouldn't surprise me if some of those people are now complaining about how this season is shaping up.

So anyone saying he has to sort the home form out is saying he has to be replaced?

Mental. :lol:

You don't think he should be replaced in the summer then?

depends what happens between now and then, pretty much goes for every manager in the league, yes that includes ferguson and wenger.

So anyone saying he has to sort the home form out is saying he has to be replaced?

depends what happens between now and then, pretty much goes for every manager in the league, yes that includes ferguson and wenger.

No it doesn't.

No it doesn't.

yes it does. if they make massive fuck ups between now and then and massivly underperform (granted it's unlikely they'd do that).

No it doesn't.

yes it does. if they make massive fuck ups between now and then and massivly underperform (granted it's unlikely they'd do that).

Aye, if they molested the chairman's wife or something. But you can't really be saying that anything that could realistically happen on the pitch in one season could lead to Fergie or Wenger getting sacked? I'd love to hear an example!

No it doesn't.

yes it does. if they make massive f*** ups between now and then and massivly underperform (granted it's unlikely they'd do that).

Aye, if they molested the chairman's wife or something. But you can't really be saying that anything that could realistically happen on the pitch in one season could lead to Fergie or Wenger getting sacked? I'd love to hear an example!

easy, say for example ferguson falls out with certain players (he has done in the past) which leads to them finishing below half way and he demands monies for players that the board aren't willing to give him (which  reportedly happened after the sale of ronaldo)

No it doesn't.

yes it does. if they make massive f*** ups between now and then and massivly underperform (granted it's unlikely they'd do that).

easy, say for example ferguson falls out with certain players (he has done in the past) which leads to them finishing below half way and he demands monies for players that the board aren't willing to give him (which  reportedly happened after the sale of ronaldo)

Hmm, maybe. He would have to do a lot of damage to get Man Utd to finish that low, and even then he would probably be given another chance (unless he decided to retire). But I see what you're saying.

Guest Howaythetoon

Given our squad, given the manager, given where we are as a club right now, our position in the table could be considered punching slightly above our weight. I personally am very happy with our points tally, position in the table and our season thus far. Sure we could have done better in some of our home games but likewise we could have done worse in some of our away games. As things stand we are on course to achieve survival which is all I am concerned with, anything else would be a bonus. I believe Hughton is doing an amazing job because I could list 5 of our players who are championship players at best. Looking at our squad and tactics we are better suited to away games than home games and until we change personal I can't see our home form being anything other than what it currently is, patchy. Anyone criticising Hughton, however, is a moron, the man has done magnificently well in achieving promotion and thus far a mid-table PL outfit.