The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest malandro

Before the Cardiff game, Carroll hadn't scored a league goal since the start of November, he's been poor.

And without him Hughton’s long ball game would have been as ineffective as it is tediuos.

AC’s a young lad who’s done a good job for the team this season. He’s going to have good games and bad games, but we don’t have a better target man and unless we adopt a pass and move game he needs to start.

Aye, were brilliant at moving the ball quickly though midfield.

Not really, just generally keeping the ball by playing to feet and getting players forward gradually. Thus, compressing the play and getting the wingers involved when possible and more than one or two of our lot in the box.

Not going to have a pop at Hughton tonight. He got it badly wrong against Leicester but I was pleased he started with the same XI that twatted Cardiff. It didn't work out but I can't ault the bloke for setting his team up to go out and win the game. If he continues to do this then I think we'll win far more than we lose and go up.

I've seen nothing of the game today but as Midds has said, i don't think you can have a go at the guy for going unchanged. Cardiff was probably our best performance of the season.

Like i say, i've not seen the game so i don't know anything about timing of subs and whatnot.

Guest malandro

He's in a no win situation. If he'd went 4-5-1 or whatever and played Smith and we ground out a poor 0-0 again, he'd have been hammered for not going unchanged.

True. The problem stems from last summer when there was no thought behind our transfer policy. By the time Hughton was appointed manager proper he’d been forced into a negative long ball game. Changing our approach more than half way through the season is madness, and trying to change it for next season (if we go up) won’t be easy.

I think we will go up and Hughton will deserve credit if we do, but in terms of long term planning the club is still in a mess.

He's in a no win situation. If he'd went 4-5-1 or whatever and played Smith and we ground out a poor 0-0 again, he'd have been hammered for not going unchanged.

and? it's not hughton's job to curry favour with the fans, its his job to secure the points needed for promotion. so it's not a "no win situation" in the slightest, his aims are very clear and well defined.

and being a manager has more to do with picking 11 players. if that was all it was there'd be millions of good managers in the country. For example, Keegan and Allardyce could pick the exact same starting lineups but the way the side played, how it was motivated and so on would be as different as chalk and cheese.

Guest malandro

Aye, we’re brilliant at moving the ball quickly though midfield.

Not really, just generally keeping the ball by playing to feet and getting players forward gradually. Thus, compressing the play and getting the wingers involved when possible and more than one or two of our lot in the box.

And giving the opposition plenty of time to regroup. Hughton’s safety first approach may (or may not) be losing its effectiveness, but suddenly trying to play like Mexico would be a huge risk.

Aye, we’re brilliant at moving the ball quickly though midfield.

And giving the opposition plenty of time to regroup. Hughton’s safety first approach may (or may not) be losing its effectiveness, but suddenly trying to play like Mexico would be a huge risk.

:lol:

Guest malandro

I have no idea how we played today so i cant comment on that. But we've been losing the ball cheaply all season by playing stupid long balls to Carroll.

His hold up play could be better, but it’s still better than that of our other target men. We should either have bought a better target man in the summer, or brought in the elusive and costly creative midfielder. We did neither and the die was cast. You might not like AC but if he got injured we’d be toothless.

None of this has much to do with tonight result. You win some and you lose some.  I think we were quite lucky with injuries and results over the first half the season, but since xmas things seem to balancing things out a bit. It could be closer than we’re excepting come May.

I have no idea how we played today so i cant comment on that. But we've been losing the ball cheaply all season by playing stupid long balls to Carroll.

His hold up play could be better, but it’s still better than that of our other target men. We should either have bought a better target man in the summer, or brought in the elusive and costly creative midfielder. We did neither and the die was cast. You might not like AC but if he got injured we’d be toothless.

N

None of this has much to do with tonight result. You win some and you lose some.  I think we were quite lucky with injuries and results over the first half the season, but since xmas things seem to balancing things out a bit. It could be closer than we’re excepting come May.

o it isn't. Andy Carroll's hold up play is usually more by accident than through design.

Guest malandro

And Shola has a first touch Mario Kempes would have been proud of?

Ranger has potential but he needs to fill out a bit, and Leon Best is only slightly less rigid than a plank of wood.