The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We've scored 12 goals in our last 3 home games and 1 goal in our last 3 games on the road.

This, like it or not is partly down to Hughton.

You could quote results from earlier this season as well when we were winning on the road and at home which would also be 'partly down to Hughton'.

I'm of the opinion that should he get us promoted he deserves a to manage this club next season. I think with the kind of football we are playing now we are twice as likely to stay up than West Brom with their prettier football. An example would be Stoke in comparison to West Brom last season. In the words of Sir Bobby "Not pretty but very effective".

We've scored 12 goals in our last 3 home games and 1 goal in our last 3 games on the road.

This, like it or not is partly down to Hughton.

You could quote results from earlier this season as well when we were winning on the road and at home which would also be 'partly down to Hughton'.

I'm of the opinion that should he get us promoted he deserves a to manage this club next season. I think with the kind of football we are playing now we are twice as likely to stay up than West Brom with their prettier football. An example would be Stoke in comparison to West Brom last season. In the words of Sir Bobby "Not pretty but very effective".

Our players down have the minerals to play like Stoke. The midfield tend to back off when the other team attacks rather than applying pressure and looking for the ball & advancing with it when we have possession.

Definitely a priority area for next season, no matter what division.

Just give him some f***ing credit. The same people who slag off the majority of the squad slag off hughton. If everyone is as bad as they seem to think something must be very wrong for us to be top of the league.

Start of the season no-one would have put much between us and the smogs and I bet most would have been very happy to swap Hughton for the "proper" manager strachan although not many would admit that now.

I have always said hughton is NOT a manager, he makes mistakes but we (the fans) have "known more" than every manager for as far back as I can remember, I distinctly remember sir Bobby often getting a slagging for not bringing subs on early enough (one of the main criticisms of hughton).

He is here and will be for a while yet, I do not think he is good enough for the Prem and hope a miracle happens and he is replaced in the summer but he is doing a very decent job at the moment and some of the stick he gets now is cringworthy.

Lets just support the f***ing bloke huh? It's all a lot f***ing easier managing from behind the pc but other teams (namely boro) have proved that football isn't as black and white as we sometimes think it is!

*fully expect a bit of abuse from all the undiscovered Alex Fergusons on the forum*

It appears that you can praise Hughton as highly as you want but nobody can criticise him without being a wannabe Alex Ferguson yet those who go over the top about him aren't the same.  How does it work that the outcome of your opinion defines what you’re doing?  Everybody on here is managing from behind a pc, when does that become right or wrong?

The only ones moaning about peoples comments seem to be those who stick up for him while those who have a go do so without having a go at people who have different views.

As for abuse, the closest to it in here doesn't come from anybody having a go at Hughton, it comes from people who can't accept that others might have an opinion which differs from the ones they have.

Fair enough. I have never said anything about praising Hughton as highly as you want either though. I have made the point often enough he isn't a manager, however some of the stick he gets on here is embarrassing.

It would be alot easier if those who slate Hughton every week, gave him credit when he does things right.

Most who post positive comments about Hughton, generally agree that he's never going to be a great manager but would rather support him for the time being.

However, those who post negative comments about him rarely ever give the credit he deserves, despite being top of the league.

It would be alot easier if those who slate Hughton every week, gave him credit when he does things right.

Most who post positive comments about Hughton generally agree that he's never going to be a great manager but would rather support him for the time being.

However, those who post negative comments about him rarely ever give the credit he deserves, despite being top of the league.

I agree with that. He's never going to be a fan favourite but it's a two way street.

Fair enough. I have never said anything about praising Hughton as highly as you want either though. I have made the point often enough he isn't a manager, however some of the stick he gets on here is embarrassing.

The thing is though, you can praise him as highly as you want and you'll not get stick for it, even if people don't agree with you.  You come across as if you have your own and can't accept that others dont share it, I could be wrong but that's the way it looks.

The thing is though, you can praise him as highly as you want and you'll not get stick for it, even if people don't agree with you.  You come across as if you have your own and can't accept that others dont share it, I could be wrong but that's the way it looks.

TBF that's exactly how you look, except with the opposite view. You seem to hate the idea that Hughton has done a good job this season, despite the fact that he has.

Hughton has done one or two decent things, but on the whole I maintain we are top in spite of him rather than because of him.

So he's done a poor job or an average job?

Average, but far from good enough.

Hughton has done one or two decent things, but on the whole I maintain we are top in spite of him rather than because of him.

So he hasn't done good enough? Despite exceeding most fans expectations.

Or are you merely saying he's far from good enough for the premiership?

So he hasn't done good enough? Despite exceeding most fans expectations.

Or are you merely saying he's far from good enough for the premiership?

If the opposition weren't such piss-poor finishers, we wouldn't be where we are - that's his fault.

The fact we are top has been down to a little touch of quality from certain players and some luck.

Most who post positive comments about Hughton, generally agree that he's never going to be a great manager but would rather support him for the time being.

I've given him credit and stick.  I think he's done reasonably well with his transfers for this division.  I also think we should have been looking further ahead than this season and if we couldn't afford better than we brought in then we should have made more use of the loan system because if we go up we'll have players who are nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.

I think he's picked some decent starting 11's and picked some stinkers, especially when he goes with our static central midfield, a central midfield which hasn't been improved.  I don't think going defensive away from home as often as we do is needed because despite our squad being poor by Premiership standards, we've got the best squad in this division.  You can point to Derby away when we were beaten 3-0 with a more attacking line-up but that doesn't tell the full story because Derby scored with almost every shot that they had.  We were more defensive against Swansea and got a draw but would have been murdered if they had of scored with as high a goals to shots ratio.

What we have done this season has been a success and Hughton must take some credit for that.  We can’t just look at this season while we’re in this division as we must plan for next season if we’re to avoid coming straight back down.  If we were in the Premiership and doing well then looking forwards would be less necessary because we would be performing at the level which we all want to see us playing at.

Hope this wasn't posted before.

Think Hughton deserves some credit. We don't know (some seem to know) if he's the right man for the Premier League but he has to be given a try.

Walking in a Hughton Wonderland

By Lee Ryder on Feb 21, 10 02:51 PM in

They say you should give credit where it's due and that was certainly the case for Chris Hughton against Preston North End.

Quite some time ago, I asked Chris Hughton if he was a bit upset that he hadn't enjoyed more recognition from Newcastle fans in the form of a terrace anthem.

Hughton quickly dismissed the idea and moved on to a different subject, his view being that he'd rather see all energies projected on to the 11 players on the pitch.

That changed for a while against Preston North End with Newcastle 2-0 up and coasting.

During the live blog yesterday I was asked what the long term answer was at Newcastle United as far as a manager is concerned, I still stick to my guns that Alan Shearer is the answer to that - as did 75% of readers during a 'game time' poll.

But if Hughton gets United promoted, he will have to, by footballing rights, be allowed to continue in the Premier League.

We'll never know if Shearer would have done a job as good Hughton - or better or worse this season.

But at 2-0 yesterday though against PNE it was then that fans decided to demand for a wave from Hughton.

It was a far cry from almost 12 months ago at Bolton's Reebok Stadium when fans chanted "You don't know what you're doing" at Hughton.

The first round of chanting died out without Hughton acknowledging their request.

That was probably down to the fact he was fully focused on the game.

Then, moments later the left hand went up before an eruption of "There's only one Chris Hughton", a song that you thought you'd never hear from Newcastle fans.

It has been chanted before at St James' Park when Tottenham Hotspur were the visitors to Tyneside and the Spurs faithful's rendition of "There's only one Chrissy Hughton" was boomed round Level 7.

That night Hughton stuck up his hand.

At that time I thought it was probably the wrong thing to do with Kevin Keegan's exit in 2008 fresh in the minds of Toon fans and feelings on Tyneside rather raw.

However, many United fans yesterday in the excellent Leazes End singing section were quick to show their appreciation.

Hughton deserved it.

Yet a place in Geordie folklore is only likely to be assured if he finishes of the job he started in August.

And if the fans are singing the name of ex-Spurs man Colin Calderwood (who has also done an excellent job and deserves credit too) in the same way Terry Mac used to enjoy the banter with the fans, then I really will be flabbergasted!

http://www.newcastlebanter.co.uk/2010/02/walking-in-a-hughton-wonderlan.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NufcBanter+%28NUFC+Banter+-+Join+the+debate+with+Newcastle+fans%2C+staff+writers+and++club+legends%29

TBF that's exactly how you look, except with the opposite view. You seem to hate the idea that Hughton has done a good job this season, despite the fact that he has.

I'll probably regret this but post a link to where I've had a go at somebody for his views about Hughton.  Don't post a link to where I've had a go at Hughton because I know I've done that.

I've given him credit and stick.  I think he's done reasonably well with his transfers for this division.  I also think we should have been looking further ahead than this season and if we couldn't afford better than we brought in then we should have made more use of the loan system because if we go up we'll have players who are nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.

I think he's picked some decent starting 11's and picked some stinkers, especially when he goes with our static central midfield, a central midfield which hasn't been improved.  I don't think going defensive away from home as often as we do is needed because despite our squad being poor by Premiership standards, we've got the best squad in this division.  You can point to Derby away when we were beaten 3-0 with a more attacking line-up but that doesn't tell the full story because Derby scored with almost every shot that they had.  We were more defensive against Swansea and got a draw but would have been murdered if they had of scored with as high a goals to shots ratio.

What we have done this season has been a success and Hughton must take some credit for that.  We cant just look at this season while were in this division as we must plan for next season if were to avoid coming straight back down.  If we were in the Premiership and doing well then looking forwards would be less necessary because we would be performing at the level which we all want to see us playing at.

Some sensible points there. However, i genuinely believe we would have dropped more points away from home with an attacking approach. Perhaps not now that we have signed Routledge, that helps.

Personally i would demote Hughton to assistant if we got promoted and hire someone more experianced. Someone like Erikkson. I doubt it will happen though.

Some sensible points there. However, i genuinely believe we would have dropped more points away from home with an attacking approach. Perhaps not now that we have signed Routledge, that helps.

Personally i would demote Hughton to assistant if we got promoted and hire someone more experianced. Someone like Erikkson. I doubt it will happen though.

The teams we play and beat well at home are the same teams that we play away from home.  I know life isn't as simple as that but this division doesn’t have any teams that are very good.

Some are quite good at certain things yet they all have weaknesses, just like we do.  We have the best defence and that has won us points both home and away.  Sometimes it's only that defence which wins us points and they could still do that defending if we attacked because when we don't attack we have teams constantly passing straight through our midfield.  They wouldn't have that luxury if they had more to think about further up the pitch.

That is just an opinion but I've seen enough to be confident that it would work more often than not.

Sorry but I fail to believe you can get lucky enough to be top of the league after 32 games. As I mentioned earlier the Smogs have a "proper" manager and I don't think their squad is much if any worse than ours however we are doing much better than them.

Our defence is fucking outstanding (in this league) but the rest of the squad is pretty poor and Hughton is getting the most out of it.

We as fans seem desperate at times not to give any credit, always looking for some excuse (luck, everyone else is shit, we have a couple of special players etc..) why we are doing well rather than accepting the manager might be doing a decent job.

Guest icemanblue

Fuck me, you're a negative bastard. What, in your opinion, has he done to be classed as 'far' from good enough?

Also, where are you from?

Sorry but I fail to believe you can get lucky enough to be top of the league after 32 games. As I mentioned earlier the Smogs have a "proper" manager and I don't think their squad is much if any worse than ours however we are doing much better than them.

Our defence is fucking outstanding (in this league) but the rest of the squad is pretty poor and Hughton is getting the most out of it.

We as fans seem desperate at times not to give any credit, always looking for some excuse (luck, everyone else is shit, we have a couple of special players etc..) why we are doing well rather than accepting the manager might be doing a decent job.

Most of the criticism levelled at him has come either due to baffling team selections and as a result of it some of our performances have been far from convincing.