The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think Smith could be gone, if we get a decent offer.

Firstly, he will be on higher wages than Nolan and secondly he's looking a bit surplus at the moment.

I also think other clubs will come in for Smith (on reputation alone).

Yeah, he was a different player back then though. There's a reason Bolton got rid of their club captain for £3.5m and we discovered it last season.

Agree, as I said ideally we'll not have to start either of the two frequently - if I had to pick though, it would be Nolan.

I don't know if Hughton is good enough for the Premiership or not, but one thing that I can't disagree with is the idea that he's improving.

How refreshing is it to see a manager who seems to learn from his mistakes instead of pig-headedly insisting on picking the same names in the same shape every match? A blinkered insistence on ideas that just don't work has been the downfall for many of our former managers, such as Souness and Allardyce.

There's something to be said for having a new guy with a fresh outlook on things instead of some "proper manager" who'll stick to his guns until it all comes crashing down.

I don't know if Hughton is good enough for the Premiership or not, but one thing that I can't disagree with is the idea that he's improving.

How refreshing is it to see a manager who seems to learn from his mistakes instead of pig-headedly insisting on picking the same names in the same shape every match? A blinkered insistence on ideas that just don't work has been the downfall for many of our former managers, such as Souness and Allardyce.

There's something to be said for having a new guy with a fresh outlook on things instead of some "proper manager" who'll stick to his guns until it all comes crashing down.

Good post.

I'm still very much unconvinced by Hughton for next year, but I'm becoming more willing to give him a chance.

He still relies on players getting injured to pick the best team.

Will always be his undoing. It's probably worked this season when he's pooled together a bunch of players who'd all lost their way but in future seasons when that's not an issue and a strong leader is needed I think he's going to fall flat on his face.

Good post.

I'm still very much unconvinced by Hughton for next year, but I'm becoming more willing to give him a chance.

Agree with you both.

Hughton was just doing a job until we got a "proper" manager, I don't think he was ever on planning on becoming that man so he has been thrown in the deep end a little. Most managers go into the role having planned to, not by accident and I doubt Hughton ever had any plans himself.

He is improving and I like the fact he doesn't seem to have any favourites. I know Nolan looks untouchable but when the alternatives are Smith or Butt would you drop your top scorer for one of those?

He can be over negative at times (especially away) but he is still exceeding targets.

I think too much is also made of him being a "nice guy", I admit at times (like Swansea) I have wish we had someone who will tell the useless pricks exactly what he thought of their performances but you don't need to be an aggressive personality to be a good manager. I can't imagine Roy Hodgson puts the fear into many players but he is a very decent manager.

Hopefully he proves us all wrong, continues to improve and becomes a decent premiership manager for us because the thing we need most at the moment is stability.

He still relies on players getting injured to pick the best team.

He kept Butt out yesterday when it would have been easy to put Guthrie on the wing.

For a complete idiot it would have been.

Ronaldo, you seem to rate Nigel Pearson a lot more than you rate Hughton, why is that the case considering that Pearson's record as NUFC caretaker is as bad as or perhaps even worse than Hughton's, not to mention the fact that Hughton has a far, far superior record in the CCC?

Ronaldo, you seem to rate Nigel Pearson a lot more than you rate Hughton, why is that the case considering that Pearson's record as NUFC caretaker is as bad as or perhaps even worse than Hughton's, not to mention the fact that Hughton has a far, far superior record in the CCC?

Do I? Well yes, I think he's a better manager. You're having a laugh with the part in bold though aren't you?

For a complete idiot it would have been.

I expected it and was over the moon that it didn't happen.

If you expected Hughton to play Butt instead of Guthrie in the centre, nuff said, basically.

Do I? Well yes, I think he's a better manager. You're having a laugh with the part in bold though aren't you?

Why? What's wrong with it?

Look at Leicester's squad man, just look at the state of it. They were about to start a season in League 1 when Pearson took over, they're now on the verge of the premier league via the playoffs.

As for Hughton having a better record as caretaker. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Hughton is growing in confidence with every game and is finally settling into the role of a manager rather than a coach or caretaker. He's getting bolder, proving tougher and learning from mistakes each week. As first impressions go (as a manager) he's doing a mighty fine job and I'm actually going to be quite intrigued as to how he handles himself and with it our team as a Premier League manager, which he will have earned the right to be.

Look at Leicester's squad man, just look at the state of it. They were about to start a season in League 1 when Pearson took over, they're now on the verge of the premier league via the playoffs.

As for Hughton having a better record as caretaker. :lol:

Depends on how you look at it I suppose. I don't think taking us to eight points clear with a game in hand at the top of the table was particularly easy either considering the shambles we were in pre-season. Forgive me if I'm wrong but weren't you one of the people saying that we could be facing consecutive relegations?

And I wasn't saying that Hughton was a better caretaker, just that both were so horrible that there's really no point in comparing.

If you expected Hughton to play Butt instead of Guthrie in the centre, nuff said, basically.

He didn't do it and that's all that matters as it shows that he is learning.  Next week is the big one for me as I think he needs to pick a more adventurous team away from home.