The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The whole thing still has me scratching my head a bit, because he didn't have the authority of a contract for the first half of the season, and there was the background instability of the owner trying to sell. Perhaps because he's not particularly egotistical, all that didn't throw him.

I like that quote from Nolan in the Guardian - 'He doesn't give much away, but when he wants something he gets it.' He's making that rather quiet manner work for him.

That Nolan felt the need to say this tells its own story. The question of Hughtons authority only needs to be clarified because of the big deal Nolan is making about the role of the players committee. I cant imagine Rio Ferdinand coming out and clarifying that when SFA wants something from the players he gets it, or to look at it another way, any player coming out and saying when the manager asks for something the players ignore him.

The best quotes from Nolan were the stuff about him not wanting to be remembered as a legend and saying the club made big mistakes after our last promotion. It must have been ten years after our last promotion before the club made any big mistakes, unless you count regularly finishing in a European place and coming within a whisker of winning the PL.

And before anybody wrongly accuses me of being  somebody Im not, it was Nolan who had to drag up the last regime and its not my fault he was talking rubbish. Like I said earlier, a sense of delusions of grandeur underpins the sound bites. And this is definitely it for me until next season. NE5 indeed! Some are obsessed with NE5, or should that be infatuated and secretly desire to wrap their lips around his throbbing shaft while he talks dirty about Freddy Shepherd?

What a load of unmitigated rubbish, pal. I think you need to take some happy pills. If ever I read someone clutching at straws, this is it.

Anyway, what has SWEET FUCK ALL got to do with it all?

The whole thing still has me scratching my head a bit, because he didn't have the authority of a contract for the first half of the season, and there was the background instability of the owner trying to sell. Perhaps because he's not particularly egotistical, all that didn't throw him.

I like that quote from Nolan in the Guardian - 'He doesn't give much away, but when he wants something he gets it.' He's making that rather quiet manner work for him.

That Nolan felt the need to say this tells its own story. The question of Hughton’s authority only needs to be clarified because of the big deal Nolan is making about the role of the players committee. I can’t imagine Rio Ferdinand coming out and clarifying that when SFA wants something from the players he gets it, or to look at it another way, any player coming out and saying when the manager asks for something the players ignore him.

The best quotes from Nolan were the stuff about him not wanting to be remembered as a legend and saying the club made big mistakes after our last promotion. It must have been ten years after our last promotion before the club made any big mistakes, unless you count regularly finishing in a European place and coming within a whisker of winning the PL.

And before anybody wrongly accuses me of being  somebody I’m not, it was Nolan who had to drag up the last regime and it’s not my fault he was talking rubbish. Like I said earlier, a sense of delusions of grandeur underpins the sound bites. And this is definitely it for me until next season. NE5 indeed! Some are obsessed with NE5, or should that be infatuated and secretly desire to wrap their lips around his throbbing shaft while he talks dirty about Freddy Shepherd?

Andy Cole sale?

The sale of Sir Les?

Gullitt?

Sensible selection today imo. We've got 3 games within a week. 1 of which is against a hopeless load of league 1 fodder. The other is against a decent side chasing promotion.

Rest the star performers for Monday night and allow the lads who are low on confidence and havnt had much game time to play against clearly inferior opposition*

*Opinion liable to change depending on result.

As I said in the match thread, it's a gamble but I think it's worth taking. I knew we wouldn't play the same 11 both games and it looks like he has decided to rest some of the better players for the better opponents.

it might not pay off but fair play to Hughton for going for the title rather than just thinking about just getting promoted. A bit of balls shown by the "spineless one".

Knew it'd be you. In all seriousness it'll take the piss of he plays again on Monday, he's barely fit enough for 2 games in 10 days.

Butt, Barton, Smith bring fuck all as goal threat though the big lad can still muster a clobber shot even when unfit.

I agree about Nolan on Monday btw. Times like today you can see why hughton is loathed to leave him out. He may be a fat useless shite on the most part but he is a massive (literally) threat at popping up and scoring. He is the midfield shola.

Depending how he gets on today I would like to see Jonas, Guthrie, Barton and routledge on Monday.

So is it well done Hughton you picked a weak looking 11 but got the job done.

Fuck sake, if you put a proper 11 out at the start this could have been a lot easier. Balls to Monday, we should have started thiking about that tomorrow!

Or view thread, leave thread and pretend I didn't call Hughton a "fucking idiot"/slag him off until we went ahead.

;)

That Nolan felt the need to say this tells its own story. The question of Hughton’s authority only needs to be clarified because of the big deal Nolan is making about the role of the players committee. I can’t imagine Rio Ferdinand coming out and clarifying that when SFA wants something from the players he gets it, or to look at it another way, any player coming out and saying when the manager asks for something the players ignore him.

And before anybody wrongly accuses me of being  somebody I’m not, it was Nolan who had to drag up the last regime and it’s not my fault he was talking rubbish. Like I said earlier, a sense of delusions of grandeur underpins the sound bites. And this is definitely it for me until next season. NE5 indeed! Some are obsessed with NE5, or should that be infatuated and secretly desire to wrap their lips around his throbbing shaft while he talks dirty about Freddy Shepherd?

Andy Cole sale?

The sale of Sir Les?

Gullitt?

Cole went because KK knew he could get Sir Les and also that Shearer was interested(I know that for a fact because he had made it clear to people he knew by the summer of 95).

The sale of Sir Les WAS a mistake, but only because Shearer got injured at Everton - Shearer and Tomasson had formed a good partnership in the pre-season matches.

It was sheer bad luck - all the fans would have been laughing at Spurs paying 6m for Sir Les if Shearer had not been injured because Ferdinand was heading for 31.

Gullit was the biggest mistake of the 3, but the worst thing to happen in the period being talked about was the stepping down of SJH as Chairman for health reasons.

I think the mistake after the last promotion probably refers to the fact that we went into debt to buy ready-made top players in an attempt at quick success. We neglected the youth and scouting networks. Keegan himself referred to it as building a walls and roof of a house without any foundations. (or words to that effect) It's not sustainable long-term unless you have a benefactor who's a bottomless pit of money.

I think the mistake after the last promotion probably refers to the fact that we went into debt to buy ready-made top players in an attempt at quick success. We neglected the youth and scouting networks. Keegan himself referred to it as building a walls and roof of a house without any foundations. (or words to that effect) It's not sustainable long-term unless you have a benefactor who's a bottomless pit of money.

Adding to that, how long after promotion was it that we scrapped the reserves?

Adding to that, how long after promotion was it that we scrapped the reserves?

I wasn't thinking only of that one particular decision, although it was very typical of the general policy. It was all a quick dash to get the Premiership title, and when that didn't come off, we were in trouble.

Guest BooBoo

The scrapping of the reserves was yet another example of KK's short sightedness and tendency to whim decisions.

:fishing:

Wouldn't that mean he was assuming supporters who have doubts about Hughton will be the ones booing if things go wrong? In my experience the boo boys are the ones with unrealistic expectations, the ones whose opinions get blown about by short term events. On that basis it will be the people who are convinced one season proves he’s top notch who will be most disappointed if we aren’t whipping Wigan at home.

Thats knee jurk if ever isaw it, and who ever said he was top notch.

Just enjoy it instead of getting your knickers in a twist

The only people getting their knickers in a twist are those who can’t accept any opinion that diverges from the partyline. If you choose to swallow all the gumpf that’s been written about Hughton this season that’s your prerogative. I prefer to give him credit for what he’s done this season and wait until he’s proven himself in more testing circumstances before getting a stiffy.

You are playng both sides of the fence here, bonny lad. You are prepared to give him credit (wow, this is big of you) but you would actually rather someone else as manager (hopefully Ashley isnt rading your opinions).

Facts are this:

He took over a depleted squad bewildered by the events of last season,

Had no money to spend last summer.

Worked on a week by week contract, as did Calderwood.

Lost most of his star names, fortunately.

Lost his most influential striker early

Forced to play a kid on his own up front but still got results.

Spent limited funds in January wisely

continued to gain results and top of the league.

gelled his squad together despite difficult periods of losing further influential players, Taylor, Barton, Colo, Enrique, Smith etc

Improved the standard of football especially at hoime as season has gone on.

ONLY LOST FOUR LEAGUE GAMES ALL SEASON

Only lost once in thne last 26 league games.

Despite losing quality defenders, has best defensive record in the division

Has the only unbeaten home record in all divisions

will be promoted with at least 5 games of the season left to play.

Possibly smash 100 points record and 90 goals for season

AND YOU GRUDGINGLY DEEM SOME CREDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate, you know jackshit about football and would be more suited to ready steady go or whatever those philistines 12 miles down the road are called.

If you accept we probably started season with the best squad in the division then the key task at hand was to motivate them. Now as an unremarkable pre-season programme drew to an end the highly motivated and well organised team that Hughton was managing went to Leyton Orient, and got thrashed 6-1. This prompted the now legendary ‘you’re with us or not’ players meeting, where it would seem a group of senior players (Nolan, Butt and Smith?) decided to take matters into their own hands. We know this to be true as it’s been put forward as the catalyst for the superb team spirit by the players themselves on numerous occasions.

Hughton can take credit for going with the flow, perhaps even spotting when he was onto a good thing and creating an environment where the players resolve didn’t waiver when we hit a long losing streak. However, anyone who knows jackshit about football knows it’s a very thin line between the players having a healthy input and the losing control. It’s worked this season and Hughton can take credit for this. He can also take credit for buying a right winger and moving Guthrie inside, as we all thought Guthrie’s best position was wide right and having two plodders in central midfield was the best thing since sliced bread did we not?

Next season will be a totally different proposition. The players will think that wrongs have been righted, that they are back where they belong. The motivational spur they had this season will be gone. No doubt they’ll set a new target but when they lose a game it won’t be as easy to bounce back. Confidence will be eroded and taking the lads ten pin bowling won’t restore it. Hughton will have to motivate players who motivated themselves this season, he might be up to the job or he might not. There’s also the issue of bringing in new players – would he, for example, have the balls to replace Nolan and Smith, and will this season’s togetherness remain if two of its main protagonists find themselves out of the team for long stretches.

Hughton has succeeded this season by being a pragmatist, which is obviously his natural way of doing things. What we don’t know is to what extent he shaped events and to what extent he was led by them. As I keep saying, he’s done enough to lead us into next season but question marks remain.  

That bold bit is some serious serious bullshit based on nothing! When was Hughton appointed on a full-time basis?

I don't know what to say except that I can't believe a serious grown man would believe that a group of players took the reigns from their boss after getting thrashed at Orient, had a meeting, then went on to stay top of the table, and gain promotion. All the while, the manager did the right thing by "spotting" that he had to let them get on with it, as he really is just a s*** manager deep down.

What a moronic notion

The scrapping of the reserves was yet another example of KK's short sightedness and tendency to whim decisions.

It wasn't Keegan's fault. Someone held a gun to his head and forced him to scrap the reserves ;)

Guest BooBoo

It wasn't Keegan's fault. Someone held a gun to his head and forced him to scrap the reserves ;)

He stuck to his principles and you have to admire him for that. /keeganbumming

I think the mistake after the last promotion probably refers to the fact that we went into debt to buy ready-made top players

Once promotion was looking in likely KK signed: Mark Robinson (no top flight experience) from Barnsley, Leeds flop Scott Sellars (very few top flight games), Arsenal reject Andy Cole from Bristol City.  Then in the summer & during the season we signed Papavasiliou (no PL experience) from the OFI, Mathie (no PL experience) from Greenock Morton, Allen who had a bit of top flight experience but was a fringe player all his career from Millwall,  Hooper (lifetime backup to Brucie G) from Liverpool,  Jeffrey (no PL experience) from Donny,  Holland (no PL experience) from Preston.

The only so called ready made players from looking likely going up & during that 1st season were: Beardsley who is the sort of player you sign him if you can. Then Fox & Peacock were bought at the back end of that season once we knew we were not going down showing great prudence.

We neglected the youth

Youth teams back then were basically all local lads. The 1st team squad had Watson, Elliott & Clark. While the likes of Neilson, Roche, Appleby & Thompson were around it till they moved on. One of the players with the most potential Lee Makel was poached by Kenny D at Blackburn. As we have seen with Man Utd you you only get a batch once they don't come around twice that often. We did sign a load of young/inexperienced  players under KK. As for the scrapping of the reserve team what KK wanted has now been done with the number of required games that have to played at a clubs primary ground scrapped/really low. I do believe that KK played a major role of devaluing reserve team football not just at Newcastle but nationally as all clubs from then practically decided not risk the million pound signings on thousand of pounds per week against kids.

Scouting networks

Just glancing at the In's I would say the number of players signed from the lower leagues & abroad may be slightly ahead of players  bought from PL clubs. I think we were one of the 1st clubs to appoint a European scout in Chris McMenemy. Our main scout was KK.