The old Chris Hughton discussion thread

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Not really, Pulis would be a new man coming in with new ideas etc.. Hughton is here and settled at the club.

I doubt Hodgson is in any rush to leave Fulham.

I don't think it's as easy as you seem to think it is to get this mystery foreign manager who will do well. You say yourself it's a gamble so why don't we take a gamble on the manager we have already got rather than have another season of upheaval with the team getting used to the new manager and the new manager settling trying to get used to the team.

Next season will be hard enough, the last thing we need is more disruption.

I'm not saying I disagree (because I don't) but in terms if disruption, do you think Hughton will see out the season?

No idea but I hope so, we have had enough change over the years and it has just got worse and worse. For once I would like us to try and ride it out and see how we get on.

Would Moyes has survived here with the rollercoaster results he got at Everton in the first 4 years? I am not so sure.

Trying to "ride it out" last year is what got us into the mess we're in now.

You're right about Moyes mind.

Not really, Pulis would be a new man coming in with new ideas etc.. Hughton is here and settled at the club.

I don't think it's as easy as you seem to think it is to get this mystery foreign manager who will do well. You say yourself it's a gamble so why don't we take a gamble on the manager we have already got rather than have another season of upheaval with the team getting used to the new manager and the new manager settling trying to get used to the team.

Serious I understand the stability argument which is why I’d want someone new in who we could see being here for the long term. I just don’t see that with Hughton. I’m sick and tired of us appointing managers with no strategy in place! Look at the last few managers:

Souness (quick appointment, early season)

Roeder (only after being caretaker)

Allardyce (fair enough a plan was in place)

Keegan (after Redknapp turned us down)

Hughton (got the job after the shenanigans of Ashley trying to sell the club)

Absolutely terrible decisions the lot of them and it’s not hard to see why as the club has never seriously thought about where it wants to go and the best manager to achieve that based on a sound track record. We’ve always just “ended up” with a manager.

With regards to Hodgson, the reason I mention that is because I was at Fulham at the weekend and we are a much bigger club in every way and I refuse to believe we could not attract him to Newcastle if we showed that we had a sound ambitious plan in place! If not him then there are other managers out there!

I'm not saying I disagree (because I don't) but in terms if disruption, do you think Hughton will see out the season?

No idea but I hope so, we have had enough change over the years and it has just got worse and worse. For once I would like us to try and ride it out and see how we get on.

Would Moyes has survived here with the rollercoaster results he got at Everton in the first 4 years? I am not so sure.

Sorry I am being thick, we had 4 managers last year, when I said ride it out, I meant giving the manager a proper go at it even if things are looking beyond shit for a while.

Going back to Moyes, Everton finished 17th in his second season, I would bet quite a few of them were wanting him gone. I know we would have been  :laugh:

Changing the manager 5 times might suggest otherwise?

Changing the manager 5 times might suggest otherwise?

Not just appointing a proper one once Keegan left shows they tried to ride it out & only made decisions when it was too late.

What you wouldn't want Hodgson as manager? I'm being serious there!!

Why would Hodgson want to leave his current job?

Have you been to Fulham, great little club, fantastic stadium but you are never going to achieve much. Dangle the prospect of managing in front of 52,000 fans and saying he has full control over the football side would tempt him. Any manager with ambition would know that if he had full control of the football side of things at the club  and did well that the possibilites are endless. If not him there would be others, I’m sure of that!

Have you been to Fulham, great little club, fantastic stadium but you are never going to achieve much. Dangle the prospect of managing in front of 52,000 fans and saying he has full control over the football side would tempt him. Any manager with ambition would know that if he had full control of the football side of things at the club  and did well that the possibilites are endless. If not him there would be others, Im sure of that!

As things stand, Fulham are a bigger club than us. He wouldn't leave for anyone, let alone Newcastle.

Sorry I am being thick, we had 4 managers last year, when I said ride it out, I meant giving the manager a proper go at it even if things are looking beyond shit for a while.

Going back to Moyes, Everton finished 17th in his second season, I would bet quite a few of them were wanting him gone. I know we would have been  :laugh:

What I mean is, they will have to have the courage to make a decision if things aren't looking good, just like they didn't do last year.  Obviously I hope they don't have to.

Serious I understand the stability argument which is why I’d want someone new in who we could see being here for the long term. I just don’t see that with Hughton. I’m sick and tired of us appointing managers with no strategy in place! Look at the last few managers:

Souness (quick appointment, early season)

Roeder (only after being caretaker)

Allardyce (fair enough a plan was in place)

Keegan (after Redknapp turned us down)

Hughton (got the job after the shenanigans of Ashley trying to sell the club)

Absolutely terrible decisions the lot of them and it’s not hard to see why as the club has never seriously thought about where it wants to go and the best manager to achieve that based on a sound track record. We’ve always just “ended up” with a manager.

With regards to Hodgson, the reason I mention that is because I was at Fulham at the weekend and we are a much bigger club in every way and I refuse to believe we could not attract him to Newcastle if we showed that we had a sound ambitious plan in place! If not him then there are other managers out there!

Agree with your concerns, I just don't think it would be easy to get someone in who will definitely succeed and be here for a long time.

I still don't think Hodgson would leave them for us at the moment. We may be the bigger club at the moment but they are by far the better club and I doubt Ashley will be releasing the funds any time soon to bridge that gap.

It would be like leaving your 4 bedroom semi in a posh estate to move into a delapidated 16 bedroom mansion with no money to do it up  :laugh: :weep:

Have you been to Fulham, great little club, fantastic stadium but you are never going to achieve much. Dangle the prospect of managing in front of 52,000 fans and saying he has full control over the football side would tempt him. Any manager with ambition would know that if he had full control of the football side of things at the club  and did well that the possibilites are endless. If not him there would be others, Im sure of that!

With no money to spend and a squad full of players who struggled in the Premier League last time?

Doesn't matter how many turn up if the chairman doesn't give you money.

Unfortunately 52,000 crowds mean nothing without backing from the board.

Have you been to Fulham, great little club, fantastic stadium but you are never going to achieve much. Dangle the prospect of managing in front of 52,000 fans and saying he has full control over the football side would tempt him. Any manager with ambition would know that if he had full control of the football side of things at the club  and did well that the possibilites are endless. If not him there would be others, I’m sure of that!

I think you vastly overrate our attractiveness as a club to any potential manager. Meanwhile, things are going well for Hodgson at Fulham. He's managing in the Premier League, safe in mid-table, couple of good cup runs, looks to be enjoying himself.

If Ashley showed that he was going to stick with the club, we wouldn't have any trouble attrcting someone like Hodgson to the club. To suggest that Fulham are a bigger club than us is just stupid (don't get me wrong I like the club, going to the next few matches there), they are just not in the same league as us as a club. We'll have to agree to disagree but if we offered managers full control over the football side of things and allowed them to wheel & deal on a modest budget, I have no doubts that we could attract some big managers.

I'm not saying this to detract from my main argument, but the whole "he's earned the right", "stability" could be used to say that we don't change any of the players as they deserve a shot at the big time, which would be crazy!

Going off what some people are saying, if we have no money to spend then we might get ready for relegation now. Little money and Hughton in charge is only going to result in one thing at the end of the season.

Guest Chris P

Mr Hughton has the job.

Ok he's got no form but.  (he's just got us promoted)

The lad could be fucking mustard. You never know, even the next ?

Stability is a load of shit if you have the wrong manager at the club.  Stability worked with Bobby because he was a very good manager, it wouldn’t have done us any good if we’d kept Souness and or Roeder any longer than we did.

Guest Chris P

Mr Hughton has the job.

Ok he's got no form but.  (he's just got us promoted)

The lad could be fucking mustard. You never know, even the next ?

Paul Ince.

nice try

Guest Chris P

Stability is a load of shit if you have the wrong manager at the club.  Stability worked with Bobby because he was a very good manager, it wouldn’t have done us any good if we’d kept Souness and or Roeder any longer than we did.

not to sound rude but, ahhhhh man fuck off

Because Souness and Roeder weren't successful. Hughton at the moment is successful. If he's a good manager we'll know that time next year.