If we win the league

Astroblack

Why not, just for a laugh.

At us?

I don't really see any reason why we did it in 92-93 but shouldn't repeat it now. These set of players, especially in defence are a lot more talented than the class of 93[/b] but in fairness they've shown a lot of character in the last 6 months.

Watson and Howey would get in this team. So that's half of this so-called more talented defence who wouldn't get in the side.

Why not, just for a laugh.

At us?

I don't really see any reason why we did it in 92-93 but shouldn't repeat it now. These set of players, especially in defence are a lot more talented than the class of 93 but in fairness they've shown a lot of character in the last 6 months.

The side of 93 would beat this team, like an egg.

Don't know about anyone else this year but I've found myself feeling like Sven, when we score I celebrate still but nowhere near as much as I should/would if we were in the top division. At first I was happy to be out of the Premiership glitz and Sky shite, but after 5 months of scraping around for 30 second highlights I want to be back in the big time as soon as possible. I wouldn't count it as a trophy, I'd be reluctant for any parade and I just want to get it over with. Seeing players such as Nolan, Coloccini, Smith & Butt celebrating going back up when they were big reasons we went down wouldn't fill me with a great deal of joy - for me, if we do win the league or even go up, that puts this lot back on par, which isn't something worth celebrating.

I was gonna reply but this post has done it for me.

Any sort of open top bus shit and massive celebrations would quite honestly be a fuckin embarassment. Promotion would put us back where we should have been anyway. Nothing to get excited about.

I don't really see any reason why we did it in 92-93 but shouldn't repeat it now. These set of players, especially in defence are a lot more talented than the class of 93 but in fairness they've shown a lot of character in the last 6 months.

:lol:

The team of 92-93 would walk all over this one; our current team doesn't have anybody as good as Andy Cole, Gavin Peacock, Rob Lee, David Kelly, Paul Bracewell, Lee Clark and Barry Venison.  We also had John Beresford who was possibly as good as or better than Enrique, Scott Sellars who was probably more effective than Jonas, Brian Kilkline and Steve Howey were probably as effective as Coloccini and Taylor at the centre of our defence.

We also had a manager who was on a different planet to the one we’ve got now.

The team of 92-93 would walk all over this one; our current team doesn't have anybody as good as Andy Cole, Gavin Peacock, Rob Lee, David Kelly, Paul Bracewell, Lee Clark and Barry Venison.  We also had John Beresford who was possibly as good as or better than Enrique, Scott Sellars who was probably more effective than Jonas, Brian Kilkline and Steve Howey were probably as effective as Coloccini and Taylor at the centre of our defence.

hmmmm i'm not so sure. i think the present defence would just about keep out the 92-93 team out. i could see it being 95%-5% to the 92-93 team but 1-0 with nolan somehow scrambling a winner.

hmmmm i'm not so sure. i think the present defence would just about keep out the 92-93 team out. i could see it being 95%-5% to the 92-93 team but 1-0 with nolan somehow scrambling a winner.

Bracewell was more mobile in Sir Bobby's game last year than Nolan is now.

Andy Cole would have been through on goal before Coloccini had realised he had the ball and Nolan wouldn't get near the goal of 92-93 because he'd be getting rings run around him. 

Nolan scores against shit teams, our promotion side of 92-93 wasn't shit.

How old were you when we won promotion in 92/93 ? Did you ever SEE that side taking apart teams like Leicester, then managed by Brian Little who went on to win silverware with Villa ?

Mick is absolutely right - there is NO way this side would live with the team of 93 - as he says, Nolan would get rings run round him and Andy Cole would leave Colo for dead. In fact, the entire 2010 defence would be pulled all over the place by David Kelly's running off the ball and Lee would have a field day coming through from midfield.

There is NO comparison between the situation now and the last promotion side - despite all the hype about 'the game has changed' etc etc... what HASN'T changed is that you need class players - we had them then, we don't have them now, at least in sufficient numbers.

92/93 team would murder the current lot - all down to pace, movement and creativity.

Totally agree. Think the only real difference is the centre-backs now to then, and even then Scott & Howey were more than good enough for this league. Enrique is class but Beresford was the best full-back in the league at that time as well, so again, not much difference. Midfield and attack back then pisses on this one though.

If we were to merge the two squads, I'd pick

Harper

Venison

Enrique (although Beresford was still good)

Coloccini

Taylor

Jonas

Sellars

Lee

Clark

Kelly

Cole

Taylor better than Howey? No way man.

If we were to merge the two squads, I'd pick

Harper

Venison

Enrique (although Beresford was still good)

Coloccini

Taylor

Jonas

Sellars

Lee

Clark

Kelly

Cole

Taylor better than Howey? No way man.

Steve Howey was better than Coloccini never mind Taylor and Beresford was better than Enrique. No body comes close to Venison at right back. The midfield back then was a light year ahead of this one too. Clarky and Bracewell would walk into this side and Rob Lee played on the right back then so I would keep the midfield from back then with perhaps Jonas getting in ahead of Sheedy (who was a far more intelligent player than any we have now).

Hard to justify including Cole and Sellars as they arrived later on (icing on the cake really) but Peacock was a far better footballer than David Kelly (who wasnt bad by any means). Quinn, Kelly, Peacock and Cole were all better than we have now though.

In short, the 92-93 team were significantly better with a far better manager.

By the way, Kilcline played occasionally in that season, Kevin Scott tended to partner Howey.

How old were you when we won promotion in 92/93 ? Did you ever SEE that side taking apart teams like Leicester, then managed by Brian Little who went on to win silverware with Villa ?

Mick is absolutely right - there is NO way this side would live with the team of 93 - as he says, Nolan would get rings run round him and Andy Cole would leave Colo for dead. In fact, the entire 2010 defence would be pulled all over the place by David Kelly's running off the ball and Lee would have a field day coming through from midfield.

There is NO comparison between the situation now and the last promotion side - despite all the hype about 'the game has changed' etc etc... what HASN'T changed is that you need class players - we had them then, we don't have them now, at least in sufficient numbers.

Most of that side went on to finish 3rd in the Premiership and challenge for the league. We had an awful lot of good 'footballers' in the true sense of the word.