If we win the league

Astroblack

We should be quietly very happy with returning at the first attempt, but any kind of public celebration would be ridiculous.

I won't count it as winning a trophy, like I didn't last time we went up. In English football there's only really 2 (maybe 3 if you're generous) trophies that would count.

I know what you mean by that but I will never forget how much I enjoyed seeing us actually lift a trophy of some meaning. As i genuinely dont expect to see it happen again its one of my most treasured memories.

It also actually felt like we "won" it as well - this time it would feel like we won it because we are just the least shit.

no. it will be a strange atmosphere aswell.

Yup.  Even though its to mark the teams promotion, its almost certain there'll be a group there still singing against Mike Ashley.

[/quotenot just those shouting about ashley etc. i've witnessed two promotions, both were big time parties that i can't see happening this time round in the same way.

We should be quietly very happy with returning at the first attempt, but any kind of public celebration would be ridiculous.

I won't count it as winning a trophy, like I didn't last time we went up. In English football there's only really 2 (maybe 3 if you're generous) trophies that would count.

I know what you mean by that but I will never forget how much I enjoyed seeing us actually lift a trophy of some meaning. As i genuinely dont expect to see it happen again its one of my most treasured memories.

It also actually felt like we "won" it as well - this time it would feel like we won it because we are just the least shit.

I suppose, I just don't think it is a trophy of any meaning, at least not for us at this point in our history.

my miserable point of view is that we'd be celebrating being back in the premiership.....but we should've been there in the first place. and if we're an ambitious club we shouldn't be satisfied at just getting promotion. it's going in the right direction, but not what i'd call success for this club.

my miserable point of view is that we'd be celebrating being back in the premiership.....but we should've been there in the first place. and if we're an ambitious club we shouldn't be satisfied at just getting promotion. it's going in the right direction, but not what i'd call success for this club.

Was just about to say the very same thing. We should never have even been down here - an open top bus parade would take the mickey imo. Same reason as to why it'll be more a sigh of relief than incandescent euphoria when we do go back up. Just do a lap of honour with the trophy, should we win it, cos we do that every year anyway.

Last time we got promoted it followed almost a decade of poor football, mis-management, low crowds and a season where we were within a hair's breadth of going down to the third division.  Promotion was a complete turnaround achieved in brilliant style, and with new owners willing to invest and the promise of stadium expansion we had a LOT to celebrate.

This time promotion follows over a decade of title challenges, European finishes, world record transfer fees and full houses.  We'll only be getting back to where we were 12 months ago and no-one was happy with that position then.  Promotion is the bare minimum the dwindling crowds expect, though with the same owner unwilling to invest and the promise of continued boycotting we have little to look forward to.

So that's a no, we shouldn't have an open topped bus parade and i can't imagine it'll cross their minds.  The team will be applauded when they do their lap of honour.  Touch wood.

Last time we got promoted it followed almost a decade of poor football, mis-management, low crowds and a season where we were within a hair's breadth of going down to the third division.  Promotion was a complete turnaround achieved in brilliant style, and with new owners willing to invest and the promise of stadium expansion we had a LOT to celebrate.

This time promotion follows over a decade of title challenges, European finishes, world record transfer fees and full houses.  We'll only be getting back to where we were 12 months ago and no-one was happy with that position then.  Promotion is the bare minimum the dwindling crowds expect, though with the same owner unwilling to invest and the promise of continued boycotting we have little to look forward to.

So that's a no, we shouldn't have an open topped bus parade and i can't imagine it'll cross their minds.  The team will be applauded when they do their lap of honour.  Touch wood.

Nailed on then.

The team will be met with a barrage of empty seats, a couple of hundred applause and a spur on message board posts along the lines of "Aye, well done for fucking winning the piss easiest league there is." Happy days.

Don't know about anyone else this year but I've found myself feeling like Sven, when we score I celebrate still but nowhere near as much as I should/would if we were in the top division. At first I was happy to be out of the Premiership glitz and Sky shite, but after 5 months of scraping around for 30 second highlights I want to be back in the big time as soon as possible. I wouldn't count it as a trophy, I'd be reluctant for any parade and I just want to get it over with. Seeing players such as Nolan, Coloccini, Smith & Butt celebrating going back up when they were big reasons we went down wouldn't fill me with a great deal of joy - for me, if we do win the league or even go up, that puts this lot back on par, which isn't something worth celebrating.

Guest ST James

IF we win the leauge i think ashley will not provide the money for us to sign anyone that can keep us up and probably put ticket price"s up to a shocking amount.

Quite right.

If I'd said that, though I'd have got the usual crap from the usual sources.

:lol:

A "decade of title challenges, European finishes, world record transfer fees"?

In the ten seasons preceding relegation we finished in the bottom half of the table more often that not, it's about seven years since the last time even the most starry-eyed optimist might have imagined us winning the title, and our one world record transfer fee was shelled out 14 years ago.

Guest iliketoonarmy

Every win is a must for us to get back to Premier league. For me this kind of celebration means an insult to the fans.

Don't know about anyone else this year but I've found myself feeling like Sven, when we score I celebrate still but nowhere near as much as I should/would if we were in the top division. At first I was happy to be out of the Premiership glitz and Sky s****, but after 5 months of scraping around for 30 second highlights I want to be back in the big time as soon as possible. I wouldn't count it as a trophy, I'd be reluctant for any parade and I just want to get it over with. Seeing players such as Nolan, Coloccini, Smith & Butt celebrating going back up when they were big reasons we went down wouldn't fill me with a great deal of joy - for me, if we do win the league or even go up, that puts this lot back on par, which isn't something worth celebrating.

I too, despite being extremely happy, can't celebrate half as much as I would in the Premier', it's weird - almost instinctive even...like you want to go mental but you physically can't.

I wouldn't want a parade and I wouldn't class it as a trophy, I too would see it as back where we should be. So all in all, I agree with your sentiments. It's worth celebrating still though, on a personal drinking level I mean.