Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Roger Johnson is about as much as big as one of my legs. He's not much of a bastard either.

Samba on the other hand would be a great signing.

He still dominates the forward and puts his face/body on the line which is what I mean as much you well know.

Williamson has done well i think, but he is still learning the game.

Some of his positioning and decision making is bizarre at times.

Like Pardew has said, whether it was a penalty or not is irrelvant, Williamson shouldnt have put himself in the position where Suarez has got goal side of him, he should have dealt with the ball before it got anywhere near that situation.

As others have said in this thread, he is too 'hands on' at times, i think it was when we played Bolton, he was allover their players and lucky not to give away penalties.

Whether he should be in the starting line-up or not, im not sure, he would be a very good player to have on the bench or as cover, but i think we need someone commanding to partner Colo.

Taylor may have as many mistakes in him as Williamson but at least Taylor has the odd goal in him from set peices.

Fair point about the set pieces.  We have very little threat from corners and free kicks at the moment

Guest sicko2ndbest

Samba is an animal, would like him here.

As of now though, Williamson is still comfortably better than any of our other options at CB bar Colo.

Been saying this for ages

Tbh he is exactly what arsenal need

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Taylor may have as many mistakes in him as Williamson but at least Taylor has the odd goal in him from set peices.

Fair point about the set pieces.  We have very little threat from corners and free kicks at the moment

He might not have scored from freekicks/corners, but Williamson has kept play alive after the set piece and managed a fair number of assists for a CB this season.

FWIW Williamson has had a better season in the PL than that c*** Taylor has managed in 7 attempts.

As late as February, you were saying Williamson was utter gash and Taylor had to replace him, having said you'd rather have Taylor than Joleon Lescott playing alongside Colo.

FWIW Williamson has had a better season in the PL than that c*** Taylor has managed in 7 attempts.

Aye.

A bad game today against a World Class Forward, and everyone is seemingly forgetting the rest of the season he's had (at his 1st attempt) in the Premiership.

Yesterday was a long way from being Williamson's only poor game this season.

Guest andrew

Do you think Pardew will drop him? Especially since it gives him a chance to put Taylor back into the team...  :shifty:

The guys had a good season, not set the world alight but he's still done well.

Samba on the other hand - he'd see cult status after about ten minutes on tyneside.

As late as February, you were saying Williamson was utter gash and Taylor had to replace him, having said you'd rather have Taylor than Joleon Lescott playing alongside Colo.

Link me to this post in February, please. Complete lies, btw.

And what on earth has Joleon Lescott got to do with Mike Williamson? Stop mentioning him. He's another shocking defender, just like your pal.

Not good enough to be a 1st choice CB for a top half team.  Ok to be back up for next season.

Less than a week ago the table said otherwise.

Did that mean that last week Lovenkrands was good enough to be a striker for a top half team?

Have thought he isn't good enough all season.

Recently I've done my best to get behind him - only because I'm resigned to us not strengthening our CBs next season. He just isn't of the standard we need.

Not good enough to be a 1st choice CB for a top half team.  Ok to be back up for next season.

Did that mean that last week Lovenkrands was good enough to be a striker for a top half team?

Lovenkrands isn't first choice. In fact he's started roughly half as many games as Williamson.

Lovenkrands isn't first choice. In fact he's started roughly half as many games as Williamson.

We didn't sell our best central defender in January.

Since Carroll was sold Lovenkrands has started 11 out of our 12 games.

Lovenkrands isn't good enough and nobody said he was. I'm not even sure of the relevance.

Williamson has played the majority of the our games alongside Coloccini and up until a week ago that was good enough to see us in the top half of the table.

In a nutshell:

Win - Williamson is a tidy no nonsense defender - love it.

Lose - Williamson is gash, seconds away from a rick, has no place in the team - hate it.

Last time I checked NUFC was newly promoted team defying expectations. It is no wonder the stereotype of Newcastle fans being unrealistic exists. For me, he has done well in his first season in the division. Has shown improvement and stayed fit and available. Yes, he has made mistakes (shocker) but so has EVERY SINGLE CB in the division.

My point was that stating Williamson was good enough for a top half PL team because he has been a member of a team in the top half isn't exactly a watertight argument.  Plenty of other players in our team, to a greater or lesser extent, have played a part in our position up til now.  This does not necessarily mean they are of a certain quality.  I would suggest, for example, that Tiote is better than Williamson.  But they play in the same team - so are they are both 10th placed team players?  It's a flawed argument.

Not quite sure why my analysis of Williamson as not being a top half central defender is an example of me being unrealistic (Canuck) or that he would be the first player I would replace (Dave).  Complete non sequiturs.

My point was that stating Williamson was good enough for a top half PL team because he has been a member of a team in the top half isn't exactly a watertight argument.  Plenty of other players in our team, to a greater or lesser extent, have played a part in our position up til now.  This does not necessarily mean they are of a certain quality.  I would suggest, for example, that Tiote is better than Williamson.  But they play in the same team - so are they are both 10th placed team players?  It's a flawed argument.

Not quite sure why my analysis of Williamson as not being a top half central defender is an example of me being unrealistic (Canuck) or that he would be the first player I would replace (Dave).  Complete non sequiturs.

Eh? It was you who said he wasn't good enough to be a first choice centre back for a top ten team. Considering he's been a first choice centre back he clearly is, or we wouldn't be there. ???

Pretty ironic that you mention non sequiturs considering I never said you would replace him first, just what I would do.