Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

I'd go Williamson-Campbell against Chelsea. Taylor has done absolutely nothing to justify a start.

except always look a decent standrad premier centre half, something the jury is still out on with williamson.

Is it? Williamson looks like a steady Premier League centre half to me. Certianly has more composure than Taylor.

i disagree, taylor is much better on the ball and as good defensivly as williamson.

I'd go Williamson-Campbell against Chelsea. Taylor has done absolutely nothing to justify a start.

except always look a decent standrad premier centre half, something the jury is still out on with williamson.

Is it? Williamson looks like a steady Premier League centre half to me. Certianly has more composure than Taylor.

:sadnod:

Think people's opinions of Williamson are extremely harsh.

i disagree, taylor is much better on the ball and as good defensivly as williamson.

No he isn't. Taylor is rash and gung-ho at the best of times - blood-and-thunder is not akin to "good defending".

I think Williamson has got away with it a number of times this season and fortunately Colo had been playing well enough to cover for him.  But today Colo had a nightmare and so Williamson suffered even more.

Taylor and Colo for the first half of last season were excellent.

Remember who Taylor has played with in the Premier League and too often he was let down by his defensive partner.  He is still young and I would love to see him play with Campbell as he has needed an experienced partner to learn from and he has never had that opportunity before.

Apart from pairing Williamson and Taylor together which I think would be asking for trouble, I think any other of the other combinations would be OK but I would definitely play Campbell in the more physical games. 

Taylor is going to be rusty though as he has played so little this year.

I like Williamson, he seems like a decent CH and a good lad but he's looked a little shaky recently. I thought today was the ideal opportunity to give Sol a game against Davies and give Williamson a bit of a break. Horses for courses.

Guest Heneage

So does no one think he'll get done for what was a blatant headbutt?

A bit like Barton a fantastic start to the season is now over because of his own daft actions....

Still believe Williamson and Colo are our best defensive partnership, from what we've seen so far. I also think they have the most potential to improve together. Admittedly we haven't seen Campbell yet, but with Tiote back for Chelsea and Colo out suspended for three games (presumably) Campbell will get the opportunity to stake his place for a starting berth.

I think any defensive partnership in the division would have struggled with Smith and Nolan ahead of them yesterday. Even the best defenders can look like dogshit with no protection.

A bit like Barton a fantastic start to the season is now over because of his own daft actions....

Sky are now raking over it, Dermot Gallacher chipping in his two pennyworth, FA charge to follow in due course.

Guest Roger Kint

Plus he probably will be gone by January unless he signs a contract, be surprised if Ashley allows it to run down. While there are question marks regarding his future i am not convinced he should get regular games.

Sky are now raking over it, Dermot Gallacher chipping in his two pennyworth, FA charge to follow in due course.

Now being reported on Sky that FA are reviewing the video evidence.  I must be psychic!!

Not sure why Goal.com think they're reputable enough to claim this as an exclusive, but:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/11/22/2225611/newcastle-united-defender-mike-williamson-set-to-reject-interest-

Newcastle United defender Mike Williamson set to reject interest from Tottenham & Bolton Wanderers and sign new five-and-a-half year contract

Centre-back wants to stay at St James' Park for rest of career

22 Nov 2010 09:03:00

EXCLUSIVE

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Mike Williamson is poised to reject interest from Tottenham and Bolton Wanderers and sign a new five-and-a-half year contract with Newcastle United, Goal.com UK can reveal.

The centre-back, who has played every minute of Newcastle's 14 Premier League games this season, is set to put pen to paper this week.

Williamson, 27, will commit himself to the club until 2016 in a deal that could see him finish his career on Tyneside.

Since joining Newcastle from Portsmouth in January, the much-travelled defender, who had spent the majority of his early career in the lower leagues, has been an integral part of a team that has acquitted itself better than expected in the top division.

Williamson initially joined Chris Hughton's team in an emergency loan deal but it was swiftly extended to a permanent deal with the player signing a three-and-a-half year deal.

The contract extension will be a relief to Hughton, who is aware of Manchester City's interest in signing transfer-listed Steven Taylor in the January window.

It will also end the hopes of Spurs, who are looking to bolster a defence that has been weakened by injuries of varying severity to Michael Dawson, Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate, signing the player.

Bolton, who have also been trailing Williamson, might also be in the market for a new centre-back if they get an offer they cannot refuse for Gary Cahill.

Oh, and:

http://www.teamtalk.com/bolton-wanderers/6521373/Williamson-may-face-FA-charge?

Newcastle defender Mike Williamson could face a Football Association charge over his challenge on Bolton striker Johan Elmander.

The FA have confirmed disciplinary chiefs will view footage of the incident, which happened during the Magpies’ 5-1 defeat at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday.

A spokesman said: “We will be looking at the footage and establishing firstly if the referee saw it and secondly, if he didn’t, whether he would have shown a red card if he had.”

Referee Howard Webb, who later sent off Fabricio Coloccini for elbowing Elmander, took no action over the incident.

Should Williamson be charged and subsequently convicted of an offence, Newcastle boss Chris Hughton would find himself without both of his first-choice central defenders for Saturday’s clash with champions Chelsea at St James’ Park.

I haven't seen it, what did he do?

Guest Roger Kint

Off the ball as Bolton went down our left he stepped into Elmander seemingly nutting him on the edge of the area. Webb will no doubt say he didnt see it mind even though he spoke to Williamson for a good minute afterwards.

Oh, and:

http://www.teamtalk.com/bolton-wanderers/6521373/Williamson-may-face-FA-charge?

Newcastle defender Mike Williamson could face a Football Association charge over his challenge on Bolton striker Johan Elmander.

The FA have confirmed disciplinary chiefs will view footage of the incident, which happened during the Magpies’ 5-1 defeat at the Reebok Stadium on Saturday.

A spokesman said: “We will be looking at the footage and establishing firstly if the referee saw it and secondly, if he didn’t, whether he would have shown a red card if he had.”

Referee Howard Webb, who later sent off Fabricio Coloccini for elbowing Elmander, took no action over the incident.

Should Williamson be charged and subsequently convicted of an offence, Newcastle boss Chris Hughton would find himself without both of his first-choice central defenders for Saturday’s clash with champions Chelsea at St James’ Park.

I haven't seen it, what did he do?

A blatant headbutt. Worse than what Barton did, IMO

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7697/dfgdgt.jpg

Not really any good angles of the incident.

I don't get the Williamson bashing.

Fair enough, the last couple of games he hasn't been great, but overall as a partnership him an Colo have been good this year, and it's all too easy to forget that.

He's been a very solid player for us for the most part.

Taylor is an OK centre back, but in my opinion Williamson has shown more ability in 11 months, than Taylor has is 5 years.

As much as i'm not a fan of Taylor, that's a daft statement. Williamson's ability amounts to little, he just does Ok with the basics. And he's only had 14 games at this level in his career, in almost half of those games he's looked iffy.

I don't get the Williamson bashing.

Fair enough, the last couple of games he hasn't been great, but overall as a partnership him an Colo have been good this year, and it's all too easy to forget that.

He's been a very solid player for us for the most part.

Taylor is an OK centre back, but in my opinion Williamson has shown more ability in 11 months, than Taylor has is 5 years.

As much as i'm not a fan of Taylor, that's a daft statement. Williamson's ability amounts to little, he just does Ok with the basics. And he's only had 14 games at this level in his career, in almost half of those games he's looked iffy.

Tbf, it's only the last 3 or so he's looked a bit shaky.