Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

Not fair-play Colocho: You're comparing Williamson against cb with years of PL-experience. Jagielka didn't go directly into the Everton team. Gary Cahill was not given a chance in VIlla, but was given time to develop in Bolton. And now we're observing the results. And Distin? He's played in the PL for a decade! You're comparing those cb against Williamson who has has not finished his FIRST season in PL. It's logical that they're better than Williamson. But if we're willing to let Williamson develop, I'm pretty sure he'll improve further.

Completely agree. I definitely think he deserves to start alongside Colo next season.

Guest toonlass

Williamson is a good, honest player. Makes a few mistakes but on the whole is a good partner for Colo. Would rather he was at the back than Taylor.

Is he the kind of player that you'd want in a side competing for a top six place?

That doesn't really make sense, if we get to a position were we're competing for top six then he's clearly good enough. If we're not and he's repeatedly being found out then you could say he needs replacing. We're hardly a million miles from 6th, we're in with a bunch of teams that could push on next season with a couple of good additions.

Despite being the 5th top scorers in the league, personally I don't think it's the defence that has prevented us being up around there this year. Without Carroll (and to a certain extent Ben Arfa) we've basically been riding our luck in terms of goal threat.

He is good but he would be one of the players who could/should be replaced if we wanted to progress imo. But i really really like him and he has proven he is good enough. he should and i hope he will be here for many years...maybe as backup....but he could still play many games if we are starting to play european competitions after next season.

Think he's a very solid player, not blessed with pace as we're all aware but that classic rough and ready style defender. Just a shame if he plays badly next game the majority of fans will be on his back in a second saying he's crap. Much prefer him in partnership with Colo than anyone else at the club.

Please don't take my criticism too harshly, but you can't really argue against Williamson's limitations.  I just don't feel confident when he is confronted by a 'top 6' player (for want of a better description).  I think he has the skill-set to deal with those players, to some degree, but he needs to work hard to do it.  Particularly the mental side of the game, which is by no means an easy thing to do.  And by that I mean building some self confidence, enough to feel confident when confronting the likes of Nani and Rooney.  It's noticeable that he lacks this, and it's something that Colo and Jose ooze.

However, he seems to have a level head and always looks motivated.  There is nothing stopping him using the good foundations he has laid to improve into a 'top 6' defender.  But it will be tough, not sure he can do it.

Please don't take my criticism too harshly, but you can't really argue against Williamson's limitations.  I just don't feel confident when he is confronted by a 'top 6' player (for want of a better description).  I think he has the skill-set to deal with those players, to some degree, but he needs to work hard to do it.  Particularly the mental side of the game, which is by no means an easy thing to do.  And by that I mean building some self confidence, enough to feel confident when confronting the likes of Nani and Rooney.  It's noticeable that he lacks this, and it's something that Colo and Jose ooze.

However, he seems to have a level head and always looks motivated.  There is nothing stopping him using the good foundations he has laid to improve into a 'top 6' defender.  But it will be tough, not sure he can do it.

Nailed it.

Taylor isn't half as bad as some make out.

Problem comes with trying to interpret just how bad people are making him out to be and the degree you are away from that level...

Anyway, I don't think he's good enough for us as a center back.  I'd be happy if we sold him in the summer (providing we replaced him),  It's just the way he holds himself around the pitch, so naive and yet he's been playing top flight football for long enough to have matured.  He doesn't read the game well, he doesn't position himself well, he doesn't seem to have a competent head on for enough of the time he needs it.  It all leads to me think that he never will mature enough to play CB for us. 

I'd like us to convert him to a right back.  Similar to the way Ivanovic plays for Chelsea (except Ivanovic is a considerably better player).  Actually, a Micah Richards comparison would be closer to what I'm getting at.  I think he's capable of doing a better job than Simpson, purely down to his physical presence.

if we cant get silly money for S. Taylor i wouldn´t mind keeping him. I think he is still a good option/backup...and i suppport the idea of converting into more of a RB (as mentioned) to challange Simpson for the spot

Nailed it.

He dealt very well with a few top 'top-6' players last night.

In terms of value for money, he's up there with Simpson and Lovenkrands - probably even higher. I like him a lot, and he had a good game last night. Still prone to ricks though, imo, and i'd still be after a centre-back in the summer.

Think he is a very good old fashioned centre half.  Superb in the air, good in the challenge and doesn't usually take silly risks.  I also think he isn't that slow for a man of his size, I would say he's wuicker than someone like Collins or Dunne for example, they look like tractors when they start motoring.  When Colo eased Hernandez off the ball last night, both were just about keeping up with him.  When you consider how quick the little fecker is, that isn't bad.

I think he will only improve with experience and his best years are ahead of him, certainly one of our stronger areas in the starting XI, just the back up that worries me.

I'm not sure Taylor is good enough for backup. Every time he comes into our defence it looks very shaky. He has good attributes for sure and I'm not sure exactly what it is that he lacks but if he is to be backup it needs to be worked on by himself and the coaching staff.

Don't think he is as good in the air as he should be (for example last night with Hernandez, N'Zogbia at home this season).  For both his height and the fact that he is meant to be the 'simple, uncomprising' defender.

In fact - I don't think he is physically strong enough or dominating to play that role.  Has a tendency to get bullied by the bigger, more powerful strikers I think.

That said, I like him and think he is a good centre half.

I don't think Taylor is that bad individually, but he doesn't seem to breed confidence in the defenders and goalkeeper around him. He's a defender of 'extremes' - he's incredibly gung-ho and 'the charger', if you like, which isn't always a good thing.

I think Williamson is a more level-headed version of Taylor - physically a bit weaker, a tiny bit slower, but his reading of the game and knowledge of when to take one for the team by getting a card and when to simply hoof the ball clear is very valuable.

Short version is: Williamson compliments Coloccini better than Taylor and therefore should be in the first choice pairing.

You're on to something Pilko. Imo what really separates Williamson from Tayls is that he knows his limitations. But also he has a better eye for the ball. Tayls is more gung ho. You don't see Taylor stopping those dangerous through balls, because that requires that you're both capable of reading the play and covering the correct space.  Williamson's passing ability has also improved. He's doing very well, and it's his first season and he only cost us £1mill.. A true bargain

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Don't think he is as good in the air as he should be (for example last night with Hernandez, N'Zogbia at home this season).  For both his height and the fact that he is meant to be the 'simple, uncomprising' defender.

In fact - I don't think he is physically strong enough or dominating to play that role.  Has a tendency to get bullied by the bigger, more powerful strikers I think.

That said, I like him and think he is a good centre half.

He's not very strong which lets down his aerial ability. Saylor is a much stronger player.

Taylor's terrible balance prevents him from using whatever strength he's gained from lifting weights instead of playing football. The sackless c***.

:lol: Yeah, he's like Bambi on the ice..