Commentators

Astroblack

Think the only time I enjoyed Drury's commentary was on the PL World feed for Newcastle 5 - 1 Sunderland. Apart from that, haven't been a fan of his.

Ian Crocker and Daniel Mann are much more passionate and natural describing goals.

1 hour ago, Astroblack said:

This is my problem. Football was shown on Fox Soccer Channel(formerly Fox Sports World) far longer than NBC took over the rights in 2013(I got cable in 2003 and they were using direct Sky feeds). Arlo dumbed down a product that didn't need to be dumbed down. And now that idiot is doing commentary on Ted Lasso and that show makes football look like a joke. 

:lol: Real ones watched PL on ESPN2 re-runs and Setanta Sports PPV on weekends! 

The moment you come to grips that NBC had to play educator to the masses to grow their viewership in the USA the sooner you'll accept that's just how it is over here in the US. Robbie Earle and Mustoe are my all time studio pundits over here - given how much they big up our Toon. 

5 minutes ago, Kanji said:

:lol: Real ones watched PL on ESPN2 re-runs and Setanta Sports PPV on weekends! 

The moment you come to grips that NBC had to play educator to the masses to grow their viewership in the USA the sooner you'll accept that's just how it is over here in the US. Robbie Earle and Mustoe are my all time studio pundits over here - given how much they big up our Toon. 

I won’t ever come to grips with that. And like I said before, it’s the Americans championing Peter Drury and there you went and championed him. But look at the rest of the thread, everyone else hates him. 

I wouldn’t want Brits commentating on NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL. I want to see the sport in its rawest and purest form. 

it’s football, it’s simple. It doesn’t need to be dumbed down. Look at Thierry Henry’s reaction to Ray Hudson. He hated the over dramatics and histrionics as do I. 

And real ones will remember Robbie Earle as a commentator(even though it seems they didn’t like him as a commentator for some reason). I thought he was great. He has a face for radio and is a poor pundit IMO as he stutters over words because I think he’s too worried about the camera constantly on him on a subconscious level. 

And I think there’s some weird dynamic between him, Mustoe and Rebecca Lowe. If you watch carefully, he always ends his sentences with ‘Rebecca’ as if he’s educating her. And if you don’t believe looks play a part in football punditry, Micah Richards himself said he doesn’t like going on shows with Jamie Redknapp as “he’s too good looking” and takes the shine away from him. Not the best example I know as Richards is a really poor pundit but he said it. 

6 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

Drury definitely gets annoying, but he has nothing on how annoying Arlo White could get.

We'll be getting less of Drury and more of Jon Champion this season in the U.S, which I'm looking forward to.

What I hated most about Arlo was his inferiority complex. He’d say things like “I could never do that, I’m not a professional football player but do you who is? Lee Dixon and he’s standing right by me”. Like have some respect for yourself and your profession. You’d never hear Jon Champion say something like that. You’d never hear Martin Tyler say that. Awful, awful commentator. 

Edited by Astroblack

17 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

And I think there’s some weird dynamic between him, Mustoe and Rebecca Lowe. If you watch carefully, he always ends his sentences with ‘Rebecca’ as if he’s educating her. And if you don’t believe looks play a part in football punditry, Micah Richards himself said he doesn’t like going on shows with Jamie Redknapp as “he’s too good looking” and takes the shine away from him. Not the best example I know as Richards is a really poor pundit but he said it. 

That's a weird take from Micah. As a pundit it's usually what you say which makes people take any notice, Jamie Redknapp being good looking doesn't make him sound any less thick. Mind I suppose it's not like Richards has a huge bank of football wisdom to call on either, so maybe understandable why he's focusing on appearances.

Edited by TRon

1 minute ago, TRon said:

That's a weird take from Micah. As a pundit it's usually what you say which makes people take any notice, Jamie Redknapp being good looking doesn't make his sound any less thick. Mind I suppose it's not like Richards has a huge bank of football wisdom to call on either, so maybe understandable why he's focusing on appearances.

The thing is, when you’re in the studio dynamic and you have an attractive host like Kelly Cates asking questions, she may subconsciously ask Jamie Redknapp a question before she asks Micah Richards. He may have said something before Redknapp before they went on live on aire and she may have asked Redknapp about it before Richards leaving him to waffle like he usually does. He said Carragher always steals his opinions too. Like he’ll say something while they’re watching the game and then Carragher will repeat it when they go live. 

17 hours ago, Astroblack said:

The thing is, when you’re in the studio dynamic and you have an attractive host like Kelly Cates asking questions, she may subconsciously ask Jamie Redknapp a question before she asks Micah Richards. He may have said something before Redknapp before they went on live on aire and she may have asked Redknapp about it before Richards leaving him to waffle like he usually does. He said Carragher always steals his opinions too. Like he’ll say something while they’re watching the game and then Carragher will repeat it when they go live. 

:lol: Sounds about right. Carragher does have that look of sneaky credit-pinching cunt about him.

18 hours ago, Ameritoon said:

Drury definitely gets annoying, but he has nothing on how annoying Arlo White could get.

We'll be getting less of Drury and more of Jon Champion this season in the U.S, which I'm looking forward to.

Champion to NBC?! Love this. He’s my favorite by far. 

4 minutes ago, OCK said:

Bring back those fan commentators, at least they were open about their support and obnoxious behaviour. 

I used to love fanzone. There was this one Chelsea fan who would call Saloman Kalou - “Hasn’t got a Calue”. Some excellent lines on that show. 

14 minutes ago, OCK said:

Bring back those fan commentators, at least they were open about their support and obnoxious behaviour. 

Bring back being able to take commentators off altogether and just go with crowd noise. Sad that when you could do this commentary was generally well regarded.