Nicky Papavasilou

Guest BooBoo

"It is nice to be back in England, and it was great to go back to St. James' Park and have a look around the place," said the 33-year old. I have many, many happy memories of my time at Newcastle. I was only there a short time and played just seven games, but I will never forget that. I was named as man of the match in four of my matches, and I remember setting up a goal for Andy Cole when we drew at Old Trafford against Manchester United. It was a very exciting time to play for the club, and I will never forget the place or the people up there. Everyone made me very welcome, and I have to say that after 16 years as a player, my time at Newcastle was the highlight of my career. I won 48 caps for my country, but playing for Newcastle United in the Premiership was my biggest achievement."

"I was disappointed that the manager didn't give me another chance after I was injured early in the season, I would have liked to have stayed at Newcastle longer, but even though I worked hard and tried to fight the manager did not want to give me another chance when I felt I deserved one. But that is football, and it is all in the past now. I enjoyed a good career as a player, I played for my country and also in the big competitions like the UEFA Cup and the Champions League. Now I am finished playing I hope to enjoy a good career in coaching."

Guest pont-toon

canny little player - nowt special but neat and tidy if you know what i mean

good chant was made for him though but - to the tune of "where's ya moma gone, where's ya moma gone" replace and repeat with "papavasilou, papavasilou"

its one of those you had to be there things !

Guest firetotheworks

I remember when we signed him. I asked for his name on my shirt and it was the first time I ever heard my dad say Fuck. I really don't know what happened to him, but his assist for Cole vs Man Utd was proper lursh.

I was mascot for Berwick v Newcastle in that pre season game and I got to meet him. Was amazing! Got a tour of the Newcastle dressing room before the game and went round every player shaking their hand, including Nickos. I remember being frightened of Andy Cole I was so amazed by him. haha. Must have been about 8!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I can't remember if he had a good or bad game against Sheff Wed, but when I see his name, I think of that game for some reason. That and the Premier League sticker album where he has a huge smile.

Did he assist Cole at Old Trafford as well?

He did. I was at that game, we played really well that day and announced our arrival in the premiership, we hadn't started too well that season, lost to both Spuds and Coventry, but this game started the wheels in motion. Nicky's ball to cole was inch perfect.

Think he fell out with KK over something because he kind of disappeared at some point in that season.

He had an arguement with Keegan apparently & we sold him back to Crete for £25k

Keegan probably walked out the room or something

:facepalm:

It called being a manager and not tollerating disrespect from players.

If you mouth off you are out the f***ing door.

See Fergie with Yapp Stam

And Kev Keegan's record's spotless in this regard isn't it ?

Disagrement/Tantrum/Resign

A Keegan signing from OFI Crete following the First Division title season, he played the first four or five games in the Premier League and looked quite canny. He was then either dropped or picked up an injury but hardly played for us again. What happened to him? What did he do wrong to see his Toon career wash up after a couple of months?

Any of the older lads remember Nicky P?

Oh dear, I'm now in the "older" group.  :undecided:

Don't remember much about him though.