Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

The idea of 'experience' is the absolute pinnacle of bollocks IMO.

We need hungry, young players to progress not the exact opposite. Signing 'experience' is a one stop shop to stagnation and then slipping backwards.

It's questionable if we would have got promoted without the experienced players like Nolan and Barton holding everyone together

Yeah Barton was a mainstay last season wasn't he.

Was still around the squad. I don't think you appreciate how important older players are in bringing younger ones through.

Okay then, tell me the last time an 'experienced' player joined a team of our level and had a positive impact. The examples are few and far between, especially when these experienced players have got little more than experience of being average once upon a time.

It'd be far more beneficial to actually bring in players of the right age that will make an impact on the side through trying to improve their careers. Seriously, what would somebody like SWP offer the team in terms of 'experience' that we don't already have?

We need hungry, young players to progress not the exact opposite. Signing 'experience' is a one stop shop to stagnation and then slipping backwards.

Of course it's not :lol: The key to a successful team is right the mix of skill and pace, and youth/hunger and experience. We won't succeed with a team full of young, hungry players.

Plus experience will help us in the short term, and January is about the short term. It isn't the time to think about the future when we're still not safe yet - a striker and winger on loan will suit me fine.

We've got enough 'experience'. We need good players now. If we'd signed an experienced centre mid in the summer rather than Tioté we'd probably be about 10 points worse off.

Good luck with that then. No doubt there's a host of quality players ready to jump on-board for 15k a week all much better than SWP. Who the hell does he think he is anyway, Chelsea/City reject wot he is!??

What experience has SWP got? Will he show Andy Carroll the best way to waste his career by chasing dollar signs? Or will he show James Perch the comfiest way to sit on the bench?

Hatem Ben Arfa's spent more time on the Eastlands pitch this season than SWP.

Okay then, tell me the last time an 'experienced' player joined a team of our level and had a positive impact. The examples are few and far between, especially when these experienced players have got little more than experience of being average once upon a time.

It'd be far more beneficial to actually bring in players of the right age that will make an impact on the side through trying to improve their careers. Seriously, what would somebody like SWP offer the team in terms of 'experience' that we don't already have?

Didn't specifically mention SWP tbh :dontknow:

I'd rather have a player who can come in make an instant impact, than a young player who's best years are ahead of him - that's what the summer is for, January is stop-gap and we need a quick striker who can compliment Carroll and a winger who can cross a ball, and I'd rather players who have been doing it in the PL for years than one that hasn't even played in the PL - again, the summer is for that kind of signing, when we're definitely safe.

It's questionable if we would have got promoted without the experienced players like Nolan and Barton holding everyone together

Yeah Barton was a mainstay last season wasn't he.

Was still around the squad. I don't think you appreciate how important older players are in bringing younger ones through.

Barton is an excellent example to younger players, fine point.  :idiot2:

Nolan is a leader for the team because he plays by example and is a born captain. He contributed a lot last with his goals and his on/off pitch leadership. These are natural qualities of the player that he has had since captaining Bolton at a much younger age. These are qualities reflective of his own personal character not his 'experience'. Buying in any older players will not contribute in the same way Nolan has done, you only need to look at most of the players that got us relegated to see that they offered nothing in terms of character.

We'd have got promoted comfortably without the likes of Nicky Butt and Alan Smith, and we'd have probably done it with about 10 more points had we had adequate footballers instead of them in an amongst the squad.

He's just like Ian Wright, a right little cunt.

I can almost, i mean almost, understand getting him in on a loan deal until the end of the season. At least he might be some cover for Routledge's departure, until we can find a more suitable long term investment at the end of the season.

If we sign him permenantly, i will be worried about the direction that our transfer policy has taken.

I'd rather have a player who can come in make an instant impact, than a young player who's best years are ahead of him - that's what the summer is for, January is stop-gap and we need a quick striker who can compliment Carroll and a winger who can cross a ball, and I'd rather players who have been doing it in the PL for years than one that hasn't even played in the PL - again, the summer is for that kind of signing, when we're definitely safe.

Agree with this basically. While Barton's doing a sterling job on the right at the moment I wouldn't want him to be our only option there. A right sided winger or midfielder with pace would be handy, and I still think Barton has a role to play in central midfield in the longer term.

Of course it's not :lol: The key to a successful team is right the mix of skill and pace, and youth/hunger and experience. We won't succeed with a team full of young, hungry players.

Plus experience will help us in the short term, and January is about the short term. It isn't the time to think about the future when we're still not safe yet - a striker and winger on loan will suit me fine.

We've got enough 'experience'. We need good players now. If we'd signed an experienced centre mid in the summer rather than Tioté we'd probably be about 10 points worse off.

Good luck with that then. No doubt there's a host of quality players ready to jump on-board for 15k a week all much better than SWP. Who the hell does he think he is anyway, Chelsea/City reject wot he is!??

Under this logic Michael Owen was a Liverpool/Real Madrid reject, Damien Duff a Chelsea reject, Geremi a Real Madrid/Chelsea reject, Nicky Butt a Man United reject.. so on and so forth.

And to answer the bit in bold, then yeah I'd argue there probably is.

Do we? ???

On the left maybe, not on the right, not for the first team.

Do we? ???

Well we do, yeah. Because Barton won't play every other game this season (it'd be insane to rely on only him for all crosses), Jonas can't do it and in a few matches time when other teams catch on he'll probably be being marked by 3 players a time, meaning we need someone on the left who can get the ball into the box.

Agree with this basically. While Barton's doing a sterling job on the right at the moment I wouldn't want him to be our only option there. A right sided winger or midfielder with pace would be handy, and I still think Barton has a role to play in central midfield in the longer term.

Looney tunes. He's had more good games since the turn of the year on the right than his entire NUFC career in the middle. The statistics are very telling this season between the two.

Do we? ???

Well we do, yeah. Because Barton won't play every other game this season (it'd be insane to rely on only him for all crosses), Jonas can't do it and in a few matches time when other teams catch on he'll probably be being marked by 3 players a time, meaning we need someone on the left who can get the ball into the box.

Why buy a right winger for that then?

Also, Wright Phillips' crossing is average at best.

Looney tunes. He's had more good games since the turn of the year on the right than his entire NUFC career in the middle. The statistics are very telling this season between the two.

That might have something to do with who he was playing with when he was in the middle. Not many midfielders are going to look great next to Nicky Butt (ask Nolan). I quite like the idea of Tiote and Barton through the middle.

That might have something to do with who he was playing with when he was in the middle. Not many midfielders are going to look great next to Nicky Butt (ask Nolan). I quite like the idea of Tiote and Barton through the middle.

I don't. It won't stop Barton giving away possession by dallying on the ball while looking for a pass, and it will negate his tremendous delivery.

Nothing personal, I honestly think anyone who wouldn't have Barton as much a certified starter on the right as Enrique at left wing is absolutely out of their mind. He's totally changed my opinion on him this season and that is everything to do with where he's playing. Much more a Beckham than a Lampard.

I don't get this idea that january is about getting impact players in. It's no different to any other transfer window - the complications are that clubs are less likely to want to hand over players in mid-season. And if anything, due to players not having a pre-season with their new club, it takes them longer to bed in and adapt if bought in January, which suggests the opposite. We bought the likes of Jenas and Ambrose mid-season iirc, didnt stop Wigan going for Victor Moses, arsenal buying walcott in jan, or going for Oxlade-chamberlain this time around.

The way i see it if we're going to spend money it should be on the right player for the first-XI, and if we have to wait til the summer i think we have enough in our squad to keep us safe until then. If it is squad players we are after then i think it is best we look for young up-and-coming talent, rather than filling the bench with the likes of Bothroyd or SWP. there's no reason we can't think about players for the future in January, no reason whatsoever.

I don't get this idea that january is about getting impact players in. It's no different to any other transfer window - the complications are that clubs are less likely to want to hand over players in mid-season. And if anything, due to players not having a pre-season with their new club, it takes them longer to bed in and adapt if bought in January, which suggests the opposite. We bought the likes of Jenas and Ambrose mid-season iirc, didnt stop Wigan going for Victor Moses, arsenal buying walcott in jan, or going for Oxlade-chamberlain this time around.

The way i see it if we're going to spend money it should be on the right player for the first-XI, and if we have to wait til the summer i think we have enough in our squad to keep us safe until then. If it is squad players we are after then i think it is best we look for young up-and-coming talent, rather than filling the bench with the likes of Bothroyd or SWP. there's no reason we can't think about players for the future in January, no reason whatsoever.

:smitten:

I don't. It won't stop Barton giving away possession by dallying on the ball while looking for a pass, and it will negate his tremendous delivery.

Nothing personal, I honestly think anyone who wouldn't have Barton as much a certified starter on the right as Enrique at left wing is absolutely out of their mind. He's totally changed my opinion on him this season and that is everything to do with where he's playing. Much more a Beckham than a Lampard.

He's done well but whether he even wants to be considered as a right sided midfielder himself long term we don't know. It was the long term I was referring to btw, while he's doing well and is happy on the right he would start there.

As for SWP, the one big doubt I have is whether he's a natural wide player anyway. He's one of those players who isn't really a forward and isn't really a winger. Scored some crackers in his time though.

Again I'll draw back to the question of examples. I literally can't think of an example off the top of my head where an experienced© player has joined a club in our position and has had a positive influence in keeping a team up, ohelping a team stabilise etc. Not one, but feel free to correct me on that.

It's alright for a club like Man U to bring in Henrik Larsson for a few months because they already have a great team and have the players that can carry them and can attract them without spending big money on wages. Simply don't think we're in a position to do so. To dig up the same examples I don't see what signing Keane or Wright-Phillips would really offer us that a more progressive signing wouldn't. Especially with both player's checkered past as role-models. Infact I'd imagine signing a player who's actually playing games regularly would be able to make a bigger impact in the short term than somebody who would need time to get going again after barely playing.

Whatever, though, just my opinion on this particular cliché.