Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

I definitely think there's an element of racism in it, probably subconscious. Similar to how Theo Walcott has 'no footballing brain', even though it's no way worse than 90% of other players.

For clarity - I was pointing out how wrong that view would be, not agreeing with it!

I definitely think there's an element of racism in it, probably subconscious. Similar to how Theo Walcott has 'no footballing brain', even though it's no way worse than 90% of other players.

for that to be true you'd have to give some more specific examples 'cause both the players you mention are kick and run merchants as far as i'm concerned, that's their skill

anelka, however, didn't display a lot of that in his early days (footballing brain) but he has developed it amazingly well and he's a very gifted all round striker with great vision and awareness

so, don't know, am i racist? ???

probably

I should give some more specific examples, you're right, I could probably think of some as I hear the same cliches from commentators and pundits nearly every week.

For me Walcott definitely isn't a kick and run merchant, there's much more about him than that.

Keiron Dyer was one I used to think was unfairly tarred with that brush too.

Anyway, not an argument it's really worth having in this thread, I'm not saying anyone is 'racist' as such. Everyone uses all sorts of cliches and stereotypes to refer to players.

For clarity - I was pointing out how wrong that view would be, not agreeing with it!

I don't care if he is white or black the only thing that matters is that he plays good for us if he joins us. Even if he was white i wouldn't want him here. So again i  :facepalm:

:lol:

I knew I shouldn't have posted that.

To be even more clear than I thought I already had been, I'm not saying anyone wouldn't want SWP here 'because he's black'.

I was just airing my suspicion that sometimes, probably subconsciously, players like SWP/Routledge/Walcott/Dyer get branded as having 'no footballing brain' and I think that might have a (probably subconscious) racial component.

To be even more clear than I thought I already had been, I'm not saying anyone wouldn't want SWP here 'because he's black'.

I was just airing my suspicion that sometimes, probably subconsciously, players like SWP/Routledge/Walcott/Dyer get branded as having 'no footballing brain' and I think that might have a (probably subconscious) racial component.

Ok thats better, I think you may have a point.

Shaun Wright-Phillips is possible NUFC signing

SHAUN Wright-Phillips is interested in signing for Newcastle United – and his wage demands will not torpedo a move, according to his agent.

United are one of four Premier League clubs in the hunt for the England winger, who would prefer a permanent move after falling out of favour of Manchester City. And his representative, Wayne Lindsay, admits the lure of St James’ Park is tempting for a player who would offer Newcastle genuine top-flight experience on either flank.

With Wayne Routledge set to clinch a season-long loan move to former club QPR today, United are confident of brokering a second January signing before Saturday’s game against Spurs.

And while senior sources at United insist they have other options, Wright-Phillips is definitely on Alan Pardew’s radar.

Competition for the player includes Fulham – with many reports claiming the club that matches Wright-Phillips’ £70,000-a-week wage packet will be the one that wins the battle for the 29-year-old. Lindsay, however, insists football rather than finance will dictate his decision.

He told The Journal: “I can confirm that Newcastle United are definitely an option that he does have. At the moment they're one of four options and it's really down to the player himself which club he decides to go to.

“I know what is being said but I don't see wages being a stumbling block if he goes to Newcastle. He's really just assessing what his opportunities and options are, and it'll be a decision taken for football reasons.

“Clearly it is well documented what his current situation (not playing regularly) is. The next move may well be a permanent one so it is important what he decides to do.

“There isn't really a timeline as such for his decision – it just needs to be done before the end of January.”

demands – while an approach for Cardiff’s Jay Bothroyd now appears to have been ruled out.

One addition United were able to make yesterday was John Carver, who rejoined

Newcastle as Pardew’s assistant manager on a four-month deal.

It is a shrewd and popular appointment by the United boss, with Carver well known to several senior players as well as Pardew’s lieutenant, Steve Stone.

The Newcastle-born coach remains highly regarded in the game and bringing him on board will go down well with supporters. Carver, of course, was Sir Bobby Robson’s number two during one of the most successful periods in the club’s history.

“I have been lucky to be able to work around the world with some excellent people," Carver, 46, added.

“However, I have always been a fan of this magnificent club and the years I spent working here were some of the happiest of my life.

“I am looking forward to working with Alan Pardew and building on the recent strides that the club has taken to get back to where we belong, at the top of English football. I understand how much the club and the results mean to these wonderful fans and I am delighted to have the opportunity to assist Alan in delivering them the success they deserve.”

Pardew said he hoped the deal could be extended in the summer.

“I'm very confident he'll be a great addition to our coaching staff and hopefully, if things go well, we can make it a longer-term appointment come the summer,” the Newcastle boss said.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/01/19/shaun-wright-phillips-is-possible-nufc-signing-61634-28011794/#ixzz1BTZaHsMv

SHAUN WRIGHT PHILLIPS IS BLACK

Those were the DAMNING, DISGUSTING words coming from the mouth of VILE human being IAN W.

"I don't want him here at all, and you know why. That Tiote fella is on thin ice too!" raged the serial racist.

More to follow.

SHAUN WRIGHT PHILLIPS IS BLACK

Those were the DAMNING, DISGUSTING words coming from the mouth of VILE human being IAN W.

"I don't want him here at all, and you know why. That Tiote fella is on thin ice too!" raged the serial racist.

More to follow.

IAN W: WALCOTT KILLS

After his recent outburst regarding the possible move of Shaun Wright-Phillips to Newcastle, the morally deficient Ian W has launched another scandalous attack, after stating that Arsenal star Theo Walcott, who also happens to be black, was a "hit and run merchant".

"Yep, he is," continued Mr W, "That's all he does. Hits people and runs, I can't believe it - he's not even old enough to have a driving licence."

These latest comments will further enrage many people, most notably Ivorian midfielder Cheik Tiote - who plays for Ian W's beloved Newcastle United - who responded to previous comments by saying he intends to "hunt Ian down".

Oh, I wasn't following on from you. Just stated by point haha.

I agree with you, mate. I don't think we'll get anyone better in.

Oh I know mate :thup: Was just reinforcing my point :lol:

Let me put it on record that I think SWP would be a good signing and that playing regularly for us might bring out the best of him. He can dribble (a little) reasonably fast, low crosses not too bad and he can cut in to shoot...would not be ideal but still a massive upgrade on Routledge.

Wise up, man.

Would be delighted with SWP. Fair enough he's looked awful for England any time he's played in the last year or so, likewise he's not had much first team football, but if he's got such a point to prove and is hungry, there's no reason why he can't discover the form which made him such a good player before. Is a bit of a confidence player so would hope the fans wouldn't get on his back if he doesn't deliver straight away.

Guest schmuck

I think you have a point. Along similar lines if you look at Titus Bramble, his reputation as a sort of bumbling oaf is never far from the surface with the media after a mistake despite years of good form behind him, yet there are plenty of inferior and more consistently error prone defenders who've never had to carry that kind of 'comedy' millstone around their neck. Like you say it's not like anyone sets out to give one player more criticism than another, but the 'speed demon winger with no end product' is generally a profile that black and mixed race players get thrown into with greater ease than their white contemporaries. A less controversial parallel would perhaps be tall players who merely have an adequate first touch being described as having 'glorious technique' every time they control a ball. It's just expectations based on appearance/attributes, and sometimes they can be uneven.