Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Not even good enough for a team happy with 17th I'm afraid.   :undecided:

In your opinion. I, and many others, were more than happy with him at the start of the season, and in the few games I've seen him in the PL under Pardew.

true, only the surprising form of barton playing out of his supposed true position kept him out the team, not rank poor performances.

Exactly. I'm not pretending he's a brilliant Premiership player, but to blankly say "He's not good enough for the Premiership" is an unfair on the lad. DJ Campbell plays in the Premier League ffs :lol:

Spurs, Villa and us can't all be wrong.

Why did they sign him then?

We could get a player who will compete for a first team place, rather then accept a place on the bench.

Can't think we'll find a better player willing to come and be Barton's boot cleaner tbh :dontknow:

To me it's daft that Barton or Gosling should be ahead of Routledge in the first place. They are after all central midfielders and neither has got the pace most managers would like out wide. The fact that Routledge couldn't make the right wing spot his own with no genuine competition says a lot about him IMO. A real let down.

beckham was neither fast nor a winger, one of the best wide players this countries produced for a long time.

maybe gillespie type wingers have had their day and managers want a bit more ?

I agree with that. There was a time I used to argue pace was vital out wide but without intelligence and end product it's worthless. But most managers would still like a wide player with pace given the option so the fact Routledge has it but can't get in the team tells it's own story.

all it says is that for ther talents he has got, we have at least one player for that position who has more. still, hope it means we have a new face coming in.

I see it as he couldn't do the job he was supposed to so we had to play a central midfielder instead - who showed him how it should be done.

Not even good enough for a team happy with 17th I'm afraid.  :undecided:

In your opinion. I, and many others, were more than happy with him at the start of the season, and in the few games I've seen him in the PL under Pardew.

true, only the surprising form of barton playing out of his supposed true position kept him out the team, not rank poor performances.

Exactly. I'm not pretending he's a brilliant Premiership player, but to blankly say "He's not good enough for the Premiership" is an unfair on the lad. DJ Campbell plays in the Premier League ffs :lol:

Spurs, Villa and us can't all be wrong.

about ginola ?

We could get a player who will compete for a first team place, rather then accept a place on the bench.

Can't think we'll find a better player willing to come and be Barton's boot cleaner tbh :dontknow:

To me it's daft that Barton or Gosling should be ahead of Routledge in the first place. They are after all central midfielders and neither has got the pace most managers would like out wide. The fact that Routledge couldn't make the right wing spot his own with no genuine competition says a lot about him IMO. A real let down.

beckham was neither fast nor a winger, one of the best wide players this countries produced for a long time.

I agree with that. There was a time I used to argue pace was vital out wide but without intelligence and end product it's worthless. But most managers would still like a wide player with pace given the option so the fact Routledge has it but can't get in the team tells it's own story.

all it says is that for ther talents he has got, we have at least one player for that position who has more. still, hope it means we have a new face coming in.

I see it as he couldn't do the job he was supposed to so we had to play a central midfielder instead - who showed him how it should be done.

i just think that type of winger is too limiting in todays game.

Spurs on the back of one good season at Palace in the Premier League - wasn't good enough.

Villa signed him as a backup and when he played was useless - wasn't good enough.

We signed him to get us back in the Premier League in the hope he might be effective once up, he did nowt on the whole - wasn't good enough.

Bet the same happens with QPR when they come up.

Spurs on the back of one good season at Palace in the Premier League - wasn't good enough.

Villa signed him as a backup and when he played was useless - wasn't good enough.

We signed him to get us back in the Premier League in the hope he might be effective once up, he did nowt on the whole - wasn't good enough.

and don't mention fulham where he played ok and they liked him, also done ok at pompey iirc.

Unless they can offer genuine end product like Giggs or Malouda (did).

Unless they can offer genuine end product like Giggs or Malouda (did).

giggs isn't winger of that type, he can do it all, inside,outside,through the middle, he plays the gillespie type whipped from the bye line and the barton type and i can't really remember malouda huggin the bye-line all game.

and don't mention fulham where he played ok and they liked him, also done ok at pompey iirc.

I forgot he was there. Went to both on loan, neither deemed him worthy enough of a full-time move.

routledge isn't good enough to get into the first XI for Spurs, Villa or us at the times when he played for those sides. But they were/are all good or solid premiership teams with a lot of competition for places, lennon at spurs, milner at villa, barton for us. He also had injuries at the first two which limited his game time. No shame in that, and hardly enough to write him off as not good enough for the division.

He did alright with palace and fulham.

I think he was alright as back-up - some seem to be suggesting he's not good enough even for that (ie like campbell, perch or as some argue ranger) but i'd say he's more in Guthrie's class - wouldn't want him anywhere near being a regular starter but he can come in and do well off the bench or for a few games. he's had some bright moments this season, just hasn't been able to make an impact over a run of games.

Also, i think he offers something a bit different to what we have out wide, whereas Gosling is a bit more similar to Barton in that he's a central midfielder shunted out wide. So if we get a replacement i'd want them to possess a bit of pace and trickery just so we have another option from the bench, ie not someone like larsson.

I forgot he was there. Went to both on loan, neither deemed him worthy enough of a full-time move.

weren't you trying to make out whenever he played in the prem he wasn't good enough ? he was in those two instances. that they didn't want to make the moves permanent is by the by.

Have you got the squad depth to let Routledge go? Worth keeping as an impact sub with his pace and directness I would have thought.

No.

Hopefully it means at least a replacement coming in.

Have you got the squad depth to let Routledge go? Worth keeping as an impact sub with his pace and directness I would have thought.

No.

Hopefully it means at least a replacement coming in.

This. Obviously if no one comes in then it's a crap move.

Or neither could afford? Or the selling club wouldn't sell? You can't just say "neither deemed him worthy enough" without knowing the full story. And teams don't just buy players for the hell of it. The likes of Spurs obviously saw something in him otherwise they wouldn't have bought him.

I don't care whether other teams rate him or not, it's about what he does here, which hasn't been as bad as some are making out.

He's been terrible on the whole. Was decent against Villa, Everton & Chelsea...struggling after that. And the performance at Stevenage (I know he wasn't the only one) was embarrassing. Probably the final straw for Pardew.

Aye, I'm sure he's as petty as using a one-off poor team performance in an FA Cup game to decide the future of a player.

Dissapointed with this one. The lad has the potential but just cant get past his mental block. He knew this was his chance to finally prove himself and has fallen very short.

Okay with this if someone is incoming as a replacement. If not it seems a bit pointless.  :dontknow: