Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

Reckon we've got enough 'experience' anyway. We're on course to stay up this season so I don't see the need to bring in experience over talent & potential/youth.

Leave the expensive Prem desperation buys to the teams in the bottom 5. We should go with more Tiotés and Ben Arfas.  :snod:

Again I'll draw back to the question of examples. I literally can't think of an example off the top of my head where an experienced© player has joined a club in our position and has had a positive influence in keeping a team up, ohelping a team stabilise etc. Not one, but feel free to correct me on that.

Peter Beardsley? Anyway I would prefer a young rising star as well, I just haven't heard that we've been linked with one.

Hawer, Beardo's a different story. Proper class act who offered another 4 years of service. Plus that was 17 years ago ;)

Doesn't have to be a rising star, just somebody of the right age who can make an impact immediately aswell as offering more in the future. There is 100s of players out there like that.

Okay then, tell me the last time an 'experienced' player joined a team of our level and had a positive impact. The examples are few and far between, especially when these experienced players have got little more than experience of being average once upon a time.

It'd be far more beneficial to actually bring in players of the right age that will make an impact on the side through trying to improve their careers. Seriously, what would somebody like SWP offer the team in terms of 'experience' that we don't already have?

Didn't specifically mention SWP tbh :dontknow:

I'd rather have a player who can come in make an instant impact, than a young player who's best years are ahead of him - that's what the summer is for, January is stop-gap and we need a quick striker who can compliment Carroll and a winger who can cross a ball, and I'd rather players who have been doing it in the PL for years than one that hasn't even played in the PL - again, the summer is for that kind of signing, when we're definitely safe.

Do we? ???

On the left maybe, not on the right, not for the first team.

Well we do, yeah. Because Barton won't play every other game this season (it'd be insane to rely on only him for all crosses), Jonas can't do it and in a few matches time when other teams catch on he'll probably be being marked by 3 players a time, meaning we need someone on the left who can get the ball into the box.

Why buy a right winger for that then?

Also, Wright Phillips' crossing is average at best.

I never mentioned Wright Phillips, I'm not talking about Wright Phillips man! :lol:

If Pardew's as confused as everyone else here we'll end up getting no one in this window. He doesn't want a striker any more, Barton's got the right wing spot sewn up and HBA will be the future competition for Jonas.

That race suggestion is offensive bullshit tbh. Fucking bollocks.

Who is it offensive to?

Considering the context, it originally read to me as a very clear implication that some in this thread might not want SWP because he's been unfairly labelled based on his race. Personally I think that's utter tosh, even if you didn't actually mean people on here. Players get labelled by fans, the media and managers based on their ability and what they show on the pitch. Sure there are some bigots and racists kicking about but that's unfortunately just the way things are.

SWP's career took a wrong turning when he chose to join Chelsea rather than Arsenal. Wenger would have brought him on as a player in the same way as he's doing with Walcott. (Not sure how far he'll get with Theo but that's another story)

SWP marked time at Chelsea and then ended up in a similar position back at Man City. He does have talent, and it could flourish with the right club at the right time.

I'd agree with T Ron, that he's difficult to define either as a striker or a winger. He could do well in a 4-3-3 though.

He reminds me too much of Guthrie.

They're both products of Liverpool's academy and look a bit similar. Football wise they're completely different players. Put my neck on the line that he will be a success at whichever Prem club he signs for.

Sewelly must have a thing for shite players.

Hammill is another winger who can't see a pass and tries to do it all himself. Most time failing miserably. If he had any sense, he'd stay at Barnsley and learn how to pass.

This is coming from the guy who thinks Routledge is very similar to Karim Ziani, Danny Graham is more than good enough for the Premier League and that Coloccini is more suited to holding midfield than CB.

Yet I'm the one who's a poor judge of player? Whatever mate.

This is coming from the guy who thinks Routledge is very similar to Karim Ziani, Danny Graham is more than good enough for the Premier League and that Coloccini is more suited to holding midfield than CB.

Both pacey wingers who can beat a defender but lack final delivery.

Danny Graham is a local lad who can finish. (something our other strikers struggle with) I'd love to see him get a chance in the prem. Not like he'll cost the earth.

Colo played excellent in the DM role for Depo. With Smith and Tiote both out, I don't see any better options.

Both pacey wingers who can beat a defender but lack final delivery.

Danny Graham is a local lad who can finish. (something our other strikers struggle with) I'd love to see him get a chance in the prem. Not like he'll cost the earth.

Colo played excellent in the DM role for Depo. With Smith and Tiote both out, I don't see any better options.

Our other strikers didn't struggle to finish in the same division Graham is playing in.