Newcastle United 2 - 0 Crystal Palace - 27/01/10 - Post match reaction from p19

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

I think calling Smith poor is more than a bit harsh. The poor bloke was a one man centre midfield!

Smith wasn't playing in midfield though, he spent most of his time trying to be a third centre half.

Aye, because Nolan was nowhere to be seen and Smith had to move back so he didn't get bypassed like Nolan was time and time again.

Er, no.  Nolan was s****, but Smith sits far too deep and refuses to take any responsibilty for anything until the opposition attack reaches our 18 yard line.

I disagree. The end.

So you think Smith doesn't sit too deep, takes responsibility & leads team out when we're under pressure?

f***ing hell. :lol:

No, I do think that Smith sits too deep, I merely think that Smith sitting deep isn't the entire story. If you're going to try and belittle me then feel free, but don't put words in my mouth to do it.

I think calling Smith poor is more than a bit harsh. The poor bloke was a one man centre midfield!

Smith wasn't playing in midfield though, he spent most of his time trying to be a third centre half.

Aye, because Nolan was nowhere to be seen and Smith had to move back so he didn't get bypassed like Nolan was time and time again.

Er, no.  Nolan was s****, but Smith sits far too deep and refuses to take any responsibilty for anything until the opposition attack reaches our 18 yard line.

I disagree. The end.

So you think Smith doesn't sit too deep, takes responsibility & leads team out when we're under pressure?

No, I do think that Smith sits too deep, I merely think that Smith sitting deep isn't the entire story. If you're going to try and belittle me then feel free, but don't put words in my mouth to do it.

You said you disagreed with what I said man, so I posted the opposite. :lol:

So really you actually agreed with me then.  The end.

Well that was bloody awful! The victory was what we needed like, and they didn't really offer much so it's all alright!

Harper pulled off an absolutely cracking save, I thought that was going to be the equaliser right there like. Kadar was shaky but ok, I hope Enrique's injury isn't bad because we bloody missed him when he went off. Coloccini was decent and Williamson absolutely shone - he may have been unfit but he certainly didn't show - impressed me tonight like. Pancrate impressed me at RB like - it was bloody scary and it had me shitting meself but he was confident on the ball, covered well and made a few decent passes - it was almost like it wasn't him.

Where to start with the midfield?! Nolan was absolutely woeful. In fact woeful is an understatement - he was just awful. Smith? Who? I didn't see him for large parts of the game, he must have disappeared off down the tunnel for a pie and pint. Guthrie had one of his poorest games in a while - he just didn't look the player that he is. Every time there was a chance to run or go forward with the ball, he stopped and tried to pass it around - unbelievable at times. Jonas was quiet in parts, definitely missed his mate, but was a decent threat at times.

Who said Routledge can't cross? He gave some momentum to the game when he came on. The lad can run, he can pass, he can cross and he can head for a short lad. Definitely looks a decent purchase already. Lovenkrands missed an absolute sitter in the first half, still can't believe he missed it like. Was our biggest threat in the first half, what with Carroll and Nolan in la la land for most of it. Carroll's touch, my god - it's worse than Shola's! He fucked up so many chances. Ranger, as always, looked confident on the ball, led the line well and took his goal well too.

The referee and his assistants must have been watching Saturday's game at the Hawthorns. Woeful yet again. He just didn't see half of the fouls, the ones he did see he didn't even speak to the players even though it was their second/third challenges. It's just getting pathetic now.

Guest firetotheworks

I disagree. The end.

How can I agree with your disagreement of my own point? That would be like disagreeing with myself. Whatever, it was the point that you disagreed that Nolan wasn't at fault for Smith having to play deep that I disagreed with. I know that Smith sits too deep, I never said he didn't, I just said that when Nolan is nowhere to be seen, the better option for Smith is to move back instead of dive in and by bypassed just like Nolan did for the entire match.

Guest toonlass

Pleased with the result, performance wasn't brilliant but we definitely dominated just didn't make it work for us. Carroll seems to have no awareness of where his strike partner is or what runs he might make, he also jumps for balls about 3 weeks early. Lovenkrands went close. Harper made a cracking save. Williamson looked like a rock at the back, and Colo played the game simply and so did very well too. Nolan was non-existant, Guthrie did well. Routledge looks like he is going to be a cracker. Made some brilliant runs, wears lovely green boots too. I heard Guttierez had a fitness test before the match tonight, so was surprised he started. Our fans went over to theirs at the end of the game and tried to act all "Geordie Aggro" but with an average age of about 12 I don't think there was any harm of anything kicking off seriously.

Our fans went over to theirs at the end of the game and tried to act all "Geordie Aggro" but with an average age of about 12 I don't think there was any harm of anything kicking off seriously.

:lol:

Guest palnese

A Palace-fan point of view:

I can never guess numbers but we probably had about 1,500 fans at aguess. It was a random starting XI

Clyne------ertl-------hill-----hills

until 3 minutes in when Lawrence replaced ertl

------------------Derry-----------

butterfield----carle----danns-ambrose

-----------------andrew-----------

And we started ok, all game we looked absolutely solid in defence. Never really an issue, the weakest player for me was clyne and our weakest point was the left of midfield where ambrose drifted inside and exposed hills but Newcastle didn't realise this. Fortunately at half time warnock did and we changed it up. Butts to left back, hills to left midfield and ambrose went right. Unfortunately we had already conceded. The goal was comical. It was slapstick. A corner was headed tamely into the box and Derry tried to lump clear but he sliced it in the most horrendous fashion behind himself and it looped into the corner. It's worth mentioning our two great chances in the first half. Both counter attacks that lacked the attacking nous of natural attacking players; a wicked cross from the left gave butterfield the easiest of headers from two yards but the conncrction with the ball was too weak and it went wide. The other chance was Andrew, threaded through and wide on goal tried to take it round the keeper but Harper did well.

The second half was all about the referee for me. This **** was farcical. Two brutal assaults on our players. Alan Smith, another first class ******* wanker committed a heinous crime on Danns and managed to suck his way out of a red and Coloccini having been dispossessed by Calvin Andrew and he proceeded to annihilate Calvin as payback. Yellow card, of course. His entire half was spent giving decisions to the home side in a sickening display of sycophancy and injustice.

We still looked solid but looked possibly less dangerous on the counter than before. We did have our best chance in the second half though when Harper made an absolutely god-like save from Ambrose's poke. Butterfield lifted it over the defence and Darren did everything right but a superhuman effort from the Geordie denied palace and danns' rebound was off target.

Djilali was introduced and played exceptionally well. Lee came on lat, possibly too late and also performed. Newcastle scored on the counter deep into stoppage time through Nile Ranger.

Ratings (no player should get lower than a 7 for playing under these circumstances)

speroni 8 not at fault, 1 bad kick

clyne 7 puzzling, confused performance

ertl n/a

hill 8 did well against Carroll

Lawrence 8 too much goofing but defensively sound

hills 8 made good runs that weren't spotted

Derry 7 oggy but real fighter

danns 8 engine

carle 8.5 should stay. Assured on the ball, did very well coming back into the team

ambrose 8 would have been 9 with a goal

butts 7 assured in central midfield but his legs have gone, decent wingers like today absolutely roasted him

andrew 9 MOM

djilali 9 excellent dribbling

lee n/a

fans 10

routledge 0 (waste of money, got horrendous reception from us)

stadium 9

warnock 9

Newcastle fans in the ground 1

Newcastle fans outside 0 giving it the big mouth and trying to start on us from the other side of police horses was pathetic. Come back after puberty.

:laugh: ahh the sweet bitterness

I disagree. The end.

How can I agree with your disagreement of my own point? That would be like disagreeing with myself. Whatever, it was the point that you disagreed that Nolan wasn't at fault for Smith having to play deep that I disagreed with. I know that Smith sits too deep, I never said he didn't, I just said that when Nolan is nowhere to be seen, the better option for Smith is to move back instead of dive in and by bypassed just like Nolan did for the entire match.

No idea.

I disagree. The end.

Shite.  Made all the worse by the fact that I sit behind the biggest cunt in the stadium.

Ashley?

Nah, some bloke who thinks it's cool to shout at people who leave the ground on 85 minutes, calling them everything under the sun whilst asking to fight them.

Newcastle fans outside 0 giving it the big mouth and trying to start on us from the other side of police horses was pathetic. Come back after puberty.

It embarrasses me a little that I can imagine this.  :thdn:

Didn't hear much from their fans, but when I glanced over occasionally it looked like they were fairly animated, so they probably were singing.

Guest firetotheworks

Er, no. Nolan was s****, but Smith sits far too deep and refuses to take any responsibilty for anything until the opposition attack reaches our 18 yard line.

I disagree. The end.

Christ man. Aye, I've put the bits I'm on about in bold.

btw, is anyone here a '12th man' member?  My flatmate bought our tickets online yesterday afternoon.  Our accounts are linked, so he put one down in my name, and one on his.  Off we set with our membership cards, with the email saying the ticket is credited to the card, which is to be used just like a ST card.  However, we turned up in the Leazes and the fucking thing didn't work.  So we had to leg it back round to the Gallowgate pre-paid ticket collection booth with about 10 minutes before KO where we were given paper tickets.  Dunno if it didn't work because we left it too late, or if the whole thing is just a farce.  Has anyone else ever had the same problem?

Guest firetotheworks

Jose left in a car shortly after FT and was serenaded for a good 10 minutes while stuck in the queue.

What was his reaction?

Guest toonlass

It embarrasses me a little that I can imagine this.  :thdn:

Didn't hear much from their fans, but when I glanced over occasionally it looked like they were fairly animated, so they probably were singing.

They looked like they were bouncing about a bit. And I did hear them once sing to us "Your support is fucking shit". To be honest they were more animated than most away fans this season, and despite looking like there would be about 200 of them they all sneaked in around kickoff time and there must have been about 1000 or so.

Jose left in a car shortly after FT and was serenaded for a good 10 minutes while stuck in the queue.

What was his reaction?

Smiles and waves, there was a good 500 people doing it by the end, I could hear it all the way down past the metro station.

their fans sang nearly all game tbf.  Hardly a peep from most of us.

Maybe it was where I was sitting but I didn't hear a single song from the Palace fans.  Level 7 seemed to be singing nearly all match "Whey ya knaa" went on for about 20 minutes non-stop.

Just got back. Not as bad as some think. We weren't particularly good, but the game was almost entirely about us and the way we played. We dictated more or less everything. No one played particularly badly when they had the ball, it was as a team that we really lacked cohesion. A lot of the time Carroll in particular was guilty of over playing it and not playing the obvious, but effective ball. Smith mopped up pretty well throughout the match, but Nolan once again was nowhere to be seen. To be fair when he had the ball he did ok, but he was never an attacking threat, and left us without any shape or support for anyone in that area, he was hardly ever there to help anyone out and when Palace won it back went storming into an interception and made it easy for their players to just turn the other way and bypass him. Really Smith deserves a lot of credit because he had a lot to do on his own.

Special mention tonight though, and man of the match for me was Guthrie. Everything that we did that was anywhere near quality going forward went through him, his crosses were lovely and he passed it about well despite having little support. Pancrate actually did well too, their left winger didn't really get a sniff.

Coloccini was business as usual and dominated, but was lucky with a yellow. I'll need to see it again, but from where I was sat, and the general consensus from everyone around us was that it was going to be red. It looked nasty.

Enrique going off curtailed all of the attacking threat from our left. Kadar did ok, especially defensively, but tried to get forward a little too often, and couldn't deliver in the way Enrique can, and couldn't get back like he can either, we were pretty lucky that Palace were toothless going forward. I think if Jose's out for a while then Kadar will fill in nicely, but Jonas looked a little lost without him.

Ranger was very good, and did everything that Carroll had been doing to an extent but with far more nause and awareness. Nice finish too.

Williamson did alright, certainly not MOTM but if it builds his confidence then f*** it. He was often going for headers that either Smith or Colo were already going for, which was a worry, but considering he's been here for 0.6 seconds I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Routledge was a threat and had some nice touches without really punishing them. Looks promising though.

Harper - 7: One excellent save, and one dodgy moment, but generally didnt have a lot to do.

Enrique - 7: Great attacking threat until he went off. Got probably the loudest song of the night when he went off.

Williamson - 6.5: Couple of strange headers he went for, but other than that a good job.

Colo - 7: What you'd expect, solid.

Kadar - 6: Needs to watch how often, how far and when he goes forward, because he couldnt get back in time. Defensively sound though.

Pancrate - 7: Surprisingly he was actually good as a RB, snappy would be the best way to describe it I reckon.

Guthrie - 8 MOTM: The one player who took control and made anything that should happen, happen.

Smith - 7: Defensively good, thwarted by a non-existent Nolan.

Nolan - 4.5: Nowhere to be seen.

Jonas - 6.5: A lot less effective when Jose went off, but never stopped trying and helped Kadar out a lot.

Routledgend - 7: Pretty good, looks like a poor mans Aaron Lennon, which will do nicely.

Carroll - 6: An off and on performance, he really needs to just play it simple and get into a position where he can damage teams.

Lovelycakes - 6: Got into some good positions that could have A) Have been played through to him better, or B) Been taken better by him.

Ranger: 7.5: As I said, he did everything Carroll should have been doing and posed a threat as soon as he came on. Nicely taken goal too.

Hughton - 6.5: He did more or less everything right with the changes. The man really needs to have the balls to drop Nolan though.

Great Match analysis Thanks for all the positivity and everything.... I have much respect for you .....