Whats going on>???

ED209

Sorry, I meant investing in the playing staff.

Obviously in the current situation he limited his input to the reported £20m - meaning that by definition there would be nothing for new players. Certainly not on the scale of those purchased by the previous regime.

I'm struggling to count the times any previous regime put that level of personal investment into the club (whether on transfers or otherwise, it makes no odds).

Obviously in the current situation he limited his input to the reported £20m - meaning that by definition there would be nothing for new players. Certainly not on the scale of those purchased by the previous regime.

I'm struggling to count the times any previous regime put that level of personal investment into the club (whether on transfers or otherwise, it makes no odds).

You're probably right, that wasn't really my point anyway.

NUFC didn't invest in players, that was a gamble (however understandable) that didn't pay off. All I was saying was that this was in contrast to the previous regime who gambled that the club should spend a lot on players even if they couldn't afford it.

I quite agree.

Whats going on is quite clearly greater than ???.

I know, if it was anyone other than Ashley I would have to say he's learning from his mistakes.

It's in Ashleys best interest for the club to get promoted, therefore he will back us with limited resources to make sure it happens.

-- That at least is my take on it.

The sooner we get up and break all ties the better cause his learning curve is the immense!

You're probably right, that wasn't really my point anyway.

NUFC didn't invest in players, that was a gamble (however understandable) that didn't pay off. All I was saying was that this was in contrast to the previous regime who gambled that the club should spend a lot on players even if they couldn't afford it.

Aye, though I think Ashley felt he was doing that with Colo to a degree, I agree the headline signings of Shep are looking a million years away now.

I loved the idea of hoovering up the young talent and slowly building up, but it's all a gamble and after not investing enough the previous summer in the first team we seemed to gamble on solid but shit dull signings like Nolan to keep us up.

Hopefully Ashley will have learned from this. I believe he perfectly capable of doing so - he seems to have embraced stability over the popular manager route now which I appluad and it seems to be paying off this season.

I quite agree.

Whats going on is quite clearly greater than ???.

I know, if it was anyone other than Ashley I would have to say he's learning from his mistakes.

It's in Ashleys best interest for the club to get promoted, therefore he will back us with limited resources to make sure it happens.

-- That at least is my take on it.

The sooner we get up and break all ties the better cause his learning curve is the immense!

This.He is only,sensibly for once,protecting his interests,to ensure he can get a higher price,once promotion is achieved.

You give credit where credit is due - so far, the transfer dealings have been done in the right way and without all the hullabaloo that occurred under previous regimes, although KKs signings of Andy Cole and Alan Shearer were also kept under wraps until done & dusted...exactly as it should be.

I have hammered Ashley for his mistakes and would do so again, but I think he seems to have acted correctly this time...whether the signings bear fruit by getting the club promoted remains to be seen.

Also, although he seems to have achieved it by accident, his policy of keeping the club's debts down is exactly right for the situation football now finds itself and should pay off for a club like Newcastle in future years.

The TRUE test of Ashley's transfer policy will be seen if and when the club gets promoted and has to strengthen the squad with Prem-quality players...

You give credit where credit is due - so far, the transfer dealings have been done in the right way and without all the hullabaloo that occurred under previous regimes, although KKs signings of Andy Cole and Alan Shearer were also kept under wraps until done & dusted...exactly as it should be.

Not how I recall it.

This is the first Transfer window under Ashley since Allardyce that we've looked to bring in players without Wise being involved isnt it.

Might have something to do with the change. He probably just trusts whoevers advising him, if its Hughton our actual manager now instead of wise he'll probably be a better owner.

I am of the opinion that people are just highlighting the reality of our situation, rather than being blinded by the red mist surrounding Ashley. I don't like Ashley for what he's done in the past, but he still has time on his side to make amends...we can't just fuck him off even when he's doing the right things.

As far as I am concerned, this poilcy so far this window is faultless.  We are getting the best players we can given our position for reasonable money on good sensible contracts.  All of which could make it in the premiership, although they need to prove it (assuming we get there).

For all the shit he has got wrong, the fella is finally getting it right.  We cannot fault this transfer window.  Get Moses and it really is a great month in terms of transfers.

Assuming we get promotion, we would have a sensible wage bill, a reasonable squad and a chance to build further.

The likes of Owen et al all out of the club is the best thing that happend to us in a long time, relegation the worst.

Although there could still be a silver lining.  Fingers crossed.

I am of the opinion that people are just highlighting the reality of our situation, rather than being blinded by the red mist surrounding Ashley. I don't like Ashley for what he's done in the past, but he still has time on his side to make amends...we can't just f*** him off even when he's doing the right things.

yup

I think Ashley needs to clinch the Moses transfer to make a real show of intent. Routledge and Williamson are fine for where we are but Moses would be another level, the sort of signing to get fans really optimistic. I would probably believe that we might make invest if we got promotion as well if it comes off. 

I think Ashley needs to clinch the Moses transfer to make a real show of intent. Routledge and Williamson are fine for where we are but Moses would be another level, the sort of signing to get fans really optimistic. I would probably believe that we might make invest if we got promotion as well if it comes off. 

You're right, the current signings are decent but that would be another level of purchase.

Nobody is bumming Ashley, some people are just giving him a small amount of credit for a small number of good decisions.

It must be remembered that you don't have to in any way sympathise or give credit to Ashley to be accused of "bumming" him by many on here. (What a horrible expression that is btw)

Simply not blaming him for the global economic crisis or Africa's starving millions is enough for some.

Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner. by Benwell Lad  :bootyshake:

I'll echo what others have said. I've been a big critic of Ashley (or at least suspcious of him) for longer than most on this board but got to say he and Hughton (someone else I'm not too fond of) have done a great job in addressing our needs this window, it's certainly been the best window I can remember under Ashley. Fair play to them all.

Guest Geordiekev

The jury is still out for me as I'm just awaiting the exit of Collo, Enrique, Jonas or another one of our prized assets this season, all the incomings are scaring the shit outta me soley because we have been led down the garden path on more than one occasion.

If we manage to keep everyone other than Geremi, Butt and possibly Barton by next week then I will take my hat off to the man, If we manage to offload Geremi and Butt then I will be overjoyed.

No reason to believe any defenders will be leaving. Theyve been turning down other chances at long term deals for loan signings at the back, which wouldnt happen unless theyre being viewed only as temporary cover to our first team.

Not how I recall it.

...And how do you recall it ? I knew before most people and the first I knew of it was when another former Magpie Group member rang me and told me the club had bid 1.75m for Cole ; he signed very soon after that and I didn't really know who he was - neither did most fans although he soon changed that.....

This was in late Feb 1993 and Cole made his debut soon after.