Derby County 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 09/02/10 - post match reaction from page 24

Dave

When we beat Derby 1-0 in the league cup in 97 was Tomasson's goal the first ever goal at Pride Park?

I might be wrong but I remember them going on about that during the game.

Didn't they move to Pride park in 1997 or something, was the abseball ground before.

I think you may have misread my post.

Problem is, now the 'experiment' of playing positive football away from home appears to have failed I wonder if we'll see anything other than 4-5-1 away from St Jame's for the rest of the season.

I think after last night, Hughton probably thinks he was justified to opt for 4-5-1 and will probably revert back to it. And tbh, on last nights evidence, that might be the right decision. Pretty or not, it got us results and I don't care how we play as long as we have a 1 or 2 next to our name in May.

When we beat Derby 1-0 in the league cup in 97 was Tomasson's goal the first ever goal at Pride Park?

Don't think it was the first goal but was definately their first defeat at pride park.

Don't think it was the first goal but was definately their first defeat at pride park.

Ah thanks, think we may have been the first away team to score and beat them at PP.

I remember watching the game on Sky.

I don't care how we play as long as we have a 1 or 2 next to our name in May.

While that is certainly true, problem would be that we'd probably do a Sunderland and go straight back down with record low points, if last nights debacle is anything to go by.

Of course, no management whatsoever would be so stupid as to expect what we have at present to survive in the Prem...would they ? I would hope they wouldn't anyways.

Guest prestonj1989

My review of the game for what it's worth:

Harper - 6. Didn't do anything particularly good. Maybe could have done better on the first. As usual his speed when distributing the ball  :angry:

Simpson - 3. Seemed to give the ball away everytime he got it, so slow against Pearson.

Williamson - 8. Won most headers. Another good performance.

Hall - 8. Surprisingly another decent game . Class bit of skill in front of our fans.

Van Aanholt - 5. Not really involved. When Jonas is on the ball I would like to see him overlap a bit quicker like Enrique does. 

Routledge - 6. Should have scored. Seemed to always have 2 defenders on him as soon as he received the ball so struggled to get any success.

Guthrie - 6. Bit dissapointed in Guthrie. Been waiting for him to get a game in the centre and wasn't impressed with him against Cardiff or last night. Maybe it is the lack of movement up front that is restricting his passing game.

Nolan - 7. Thought he done OK. Maybe could have done better when getting the ball in and around the goal.

Jonas - 6. Like Routledge thought he was always getting marked by 2 Derby players so struggled to create anything good.

Carroll - 6. Worked hard but no success.

Best - 5. Seems to constantly have his back to goal and just receives it to feet and plays a simple ball back to our midfield. LAZY

Hughton - 5. Subs should have been made before the 3rd goal and thought he should have instructed Simpson and Van Aaanholt to get forward a bit more to help our wingers.

Referee and assistants were shocking. Obvious example in second half when Mceveley literally bundled Routledge to the ground and Derby got a goal kick from it.

Also thought the pitch was in a pretty bad state causing the ball to bobble.

Problem is, now the 'experiment' of playing positive football away from home appears to have failed I wonder if we'll see anything other than 4-5-1 away from St Jame's for the rest of the season.

Whilst last nights result is being used as an argument against being more attacking away from home in future, is the performance at Leicester, for example, much of an argument for going for a more defensive 4-5-1 ?  :undecided:

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

At least (By what I'm going on from forum posters) Williamson looks a good buy so far- He hasn't had a bad game yet, has he? And he can't be fully fit.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Why can't he be fully fit?

Based upon what I've read on the forums, the fact he's played 4 full games for us after having very little game time at Pompey, just a comment based on stuff I've read that he wasn't fully fit when he's arrived, I just guessed four games in fairly quick succession will mean he's not top of his game.

Just a little comment with no real sound evidence.

Surely Simpson shouldn't be playing 2 games in 4 days after coming back from injury.

I agree. I think Simpson is poor anyway but he looked terrible last night. He was about the same standard as Ryan Taylor, and I think he's one of the worst players i've ever seen at fullback.

Actually, I thought I was the only person who didn't rate Simpson.

I kept my mouth shut on the subject to avoid the usual abuse when I say such ! ;)

For the record I don't rate Simpson either, he's a distinctly average player IMO.

I wouldn't be averse to us reverting to 4-5-1 away from home as long as the personell are right. With Jonas and Routledge out wide we have more pace and attacking ability than before and, as long as we play the right striker (not Carroll) as the lone man up front then I think we could still pick up a lot of points.

If we win our home games and draw our away games we'll still be on track to secure an automatic promotion spot.

Surely Simpson shouldn't be playing 2 games in 4 days after coming back from injury.

I agree. I think Simpson is poor anyway but he looked terrible last night. He was about the same standard as Ryan Taylor, and I think he's one of the worst players i've ever seen at fullback.

Actually, I thought I was the only person who didn't rate Simpson.

I kept my mouth shut on the subject to avoid the usual abuse when I say such ! ;)

what do you mean by don't rate ?

he's not great but, in my opinion is up to this level and possibly lower prem. hopefully we'll get a better idea about him when the defence is settled and he gets time with a more naturally right sided player (routledge)

Guest icemanblue

Uh oh, madras is up.

who ? where ?

what ?

I was having quite an entertaining morning up until now. Suddenly I feel incredibly bored. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Uh oh, madras is up.

who ? where ?

what ?

I was having quite an entertaining morning up until now. Suddenly I feel incredibly bored. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

possibly. maybe you don't like me. i'm sure i'll cope.

Guest prestonj1989

I think Simpson would get his pants well and truly pulled down in the Prem.

And while i'm on did anybody else think Nicky Hunt looked equally as s*** the other night but Jonas never looked like taking advantage. I know he's our best option by a long way on the left but he's awful, kicks a ball like a three year old. A s*** three year old.

Couldn't agree more about Nicky Hunt - absolutely terrible.

Hughton Wants ''Wounded Animal'' Mentality... just what everyone would want I suppose. Seems like we will go for a win against Swansea.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100211/hughton-wants-wounded-animal-mentality_2240137_1963370

"We hope to see that wounded-animal mentality and it's something we have had before," he told nufcTV.

"On the back of a defeat we have managed to win games and go on a good run.

"The last defeat at Scunthorpe was followed by a run of 15 games unbeaten in the league and the response we got then was terrific.

"The players were certainly hurting after the Derby game and you have to use that to your advantage in the next game.

"It's about bouncing back and burying the memory of that defeat by getting back to winning ways."