Wolves handed suspended £25000 fine...

Fatwax

Guest Stephen927

Bottom line is, you cannot prove what a weakened team is. McCarthy was the idiot who came out and told the world what he was planning on doing.

The fine is a pisstake, but the rules are there, you've got to follow them no matter how stupid.

Guest Brummiemag

Irrespective of whether the rules were broken or not, he certainly alienated many of Wolves most loyal supporters by fielding a weakened team.  My mate spent £150 to go to that game with his kids. He said afterwards whats the point in getting promoted if you don't try and compete against the best, may as well have stayed in the Championship because you can play teams like Wigan and Stoke every week there. 

The pride and dignity of Wolves was lowered that day in his and my opinion

Irrespective of whether the rules were broken or not, he certainly alienated many of Wolves most loyal supporters by fielding a weakened team.  My mate spent £150 to go to that game with his kids. He said afterwards whats the point in getting promoted if you don't try and compete against the best, may as well have stayed in the Championship because you can play teams like Wigan and Stoke every week there. 

Whilst I agree with this to a degree, I also think that your mate would happily have 'lost out' on that £150 if his team stays in the Premier League.

Guest craggy

How come Man United didn't get fined for the last two seasons when fielding a weakened side on the last day against teams that needed points to stay up therefore affecting the other teams involved in the relegation fight?

Guest palnese

How come Man United didn't get fined for the last two seasons when fielding a weakened side on the last day against teams that needed points to stay up therefore affecting the other teams involved in the relegation fight?

That's because they're Man United.

That's because they're Man United.

:sadnod:

:thup:

Cuntish of McCunty. If they stay up it won't be because of this, regardless of fines etc. it was just a stupid thing to do. Insulting to the fans.

They would have lost anyway. Burnley played a full strength team on the same day and then lost to Wolves, those extra points look priceless now. Well played Mick.

Guest Brummiemag

Whilst I agree with this to a degree, I also think that your mate would happily have 'lost out' on that £150 if his team stays in the Premier League.

Actually no he wouldn't. Thats the whole point, may as well stay in the Championship  if thats the attitude. You get promoted to to play against the best other wise what the point. 

Point is they should be able to do whatever they want. What's the point in having a squad otherwise?

the rules say they can't regardless of what should or shouldn't be and i know how pissed off i was when boro dropped alan miller (their MotM for the previous 3 games) in favour of gary walsh on the last day of THAT season.

Who decides what the strongest team is though?  ???

it's only when it gets obvious that anything can be done..ie our peterborough league cup team.

Every league cup team picked by Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal & Man United too.

exactly...so we can see when a team is deliberatly under strength and the premier league has those rules to apply. not sure if the same rules apply in the league cup/FA cup etc.

it's only when it gets obvious that anything can be done..ie our peterborough league cup team.

exactly...so we can see when a team is deliberatly under strength and the premier league has those rules to apply. not sure if the same rules apply in the league cup/FA cup etc.

Mind they should be able to pick whatever side they want. :nods:

within reason.

within reason.

You can't quantify "within reason" though.  That's the problem, which means that managers should be able to pick who they want.

within reason.

You can't quantify "within reason" though.  That's the problem, which means that managers should be able to pick who they want.

and they do. it's only when a manager goes so way over the top that he has to be pulled up about it.

Guest optimistic nit

Too small a punishment. Way too small.

Difference between the top teams and the likes of Wolves is that Man Utd and Rsenal's reserves can beat most PL teams, Wolves' reserves cannot. They blatantly threw the game, weakened top "four" teams still expect to win, and do just that.

if top 4 teams can field weakended teams then  so can bottom four teams. the manager picks the team and thats how it should be. what if wolves and manu were both in the fa cup final? would wolves be fined for resting their players in the last game of the season, but man u suffer no punishment if they did the same.

talking of throwing matches, if man u concede one more own goal then i may start an investigation. the own goal in the bolton match yesterday was simply the most pathetic piece of defending i've ever seen.

Guest optimistic nit

So this means every manager from every team HAS to play his strongest XI in EVERY game. By resting a player he would, theoretically, be weakening his team and would be fined for doing so. Or is there a lmit as to how many changes he can make? Is 1 ok? What about 2? Would 3 get a fine? What about 7?

It's bollocks. The FA need to stop interfering so much. Let the managers manage as they see fit.

It has to be up to the individual manager to pick the team and he should stand or fall by his decisions. If Wolves go down by a point, it'll be on McCarthy. If they stay up by a point then he'll look back on the Burnley result and think he was justified. 

In my honest opinion I think there should be a limit of how many changes you should be able to do between two matches   (not counting injures/suspensions). 10 changes is just silly, whoever does it and for whatever reason they do it when none from the last match were injured or suspended. Would be a much more definite rule than "you should field your strongest team".

How many is acceptable in your opinion then? Just out of interest. :)

For the record, I do think McCarthy took the piss by resting 10 but I'd defend his right to name whatever team he likes for any individual game. And that's my point. It's up to the manager, NOT the FA of PL, to decide who plays.

More than 7 is taking the piss. Think the limit should be 6 changes.

I don't follow. What if there are injuries/suspensions? So if there are 6 injuries/suspensions that require a change of player, the manager is unable to change anyone else?  :lol:

I said discounting injuries/suspensions earlier in that discussion, you don't follow. :lol:

In my honest opinion I think there should be a limit of how many changes you should be able to do between two matches (not counting injures/suspensions). 10 changes is just silly, whoever does it and for whatever reason they do it when none from the last match were injured or suspended. Would be a much more definite rule than "you should field your strongest team".

It'd be a ridiculous rule though. Managers can do what they like with team selections ultimately, why on earth should they have restrictions? Losing the game was punishment enough and he would have had egg on his face if they'd lost their next game but as it was, he'll see it as a justified decision. Good on him if it keeps them up.

I would like few things more than see Wolves go down and never come back up. If it was up to me McCarthy should've been sacked for blatantly throwing a game, just unprofessional and detrimental to the game, even if their three points at Burnley keep them up. Their best players should be able to manage 38 matches, they did 46 in the Championship ffs, resting them is no excuse and the players should've been more than pumped up for testing themselves against one of the best teams in the league.

its a managers job to pick the team and looking at the table now its wolves out of the relegation zone on 32 points and burnley in it on 24. I quite like wolves, much rather they stayed up than shite like wigan, hull or stoke.