Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Guest Heneage

I know he's allegedly a bit of a twunt, but if new signings forced Daniel Sturridge down the pecking order at Chelsea would you take him on loan here theoretically? I get the feeling he'd be a good foil for AC9.

Or is that one a bit unrealistic?

I still worry about us more in the centre, but yes.

I know he's allegedly a bit of a twunt, but if new signings forced Daniel Sturridge down the pecking order at Chelsea would you take him on loan here theoretically? I get the feeling he'd be a good foil for AC9.

Which strikers have then even been linked to with the exception of Aguero and Balotelli? I can see him being their third choice striker this season.

Chelsea signed him so he would be one there home grown players.

Chelsea signed him so he would be one there home grown players.

Aye, that's true. Oh well, it was just a thought.

Wouldn't the likes of Kakuta and Mikel Obi count as home-grown players? It seems like it wouldn't be a massive issue for them.

I think so, which proves the ridiculous nature of the rule imo. More and more players are gonna be dragged across the world before they're out their teens.

Wouldn't the likes of Kakuta and Mikel Obi count as home-grown players? It seems like it wouldn't be a massive issue for them.

I think so, which proves the ridiculous nature of the rule imo. More and more players are gonna be dragged across the world before they're out their teens.

Not Mikel Obi right? Isn't the rule that a player has to be part of an English set-up for three years or three full seasons before their 21st birthday to be counted as homegrown. Mikel Obi signed for Chelsea when he was 19 which would make this impossible since he would've been 22 at the end of the third season.

Not Mikel Obi right? Isn't the rule that a player has to be part of an English set-up for three years or three full seasons before their 21st birthday to be counted as homegrown. Mikel Obi signed for Chelsea when he was 19 which would make this impossible since he would've been 22 at the end of the third season.

Probably not then. But the point still stands, the likes of Kakuta and Borini at Chelsea will be classed as homegrown at a point. I don't see the point in the rule if that's the case, rather than enforcing clubs to develop talent it just means they stockpile players at an even younger age. Can't be good for them.

Ah, you are right about Obi I think. I forgot the year or so he spent in limbo. :lol:

Still, Sewelly is right. The trafficking of young South Americans, Africans, and Europeans from lesser countries into top footballing nations is quite disturbing. The whole homegrown thing is a joke, anyway. English players benefit from foreign competition, if anything. Football is a free market and overbearing authrorities shouldn't be acting to stifle it.

To stop the clubs from stockpiling the most talented youth players we would have to have a standardised age for when to sign your first professional forms. Isn't this age limit different in different countries (which was why Fabregas went to Arsenal)?

The trafficking of young South Americans, Africans, and Europeans from lesser countries into top footballing nations is quite disturbing.

Tbf this country is one of the best young players can come to when you read the horror stories of Aficans & South Americans that are left in limbo after failing in trial in  France, Beligum & places in Eastern Europe.

Probably not then. But the point still stands, the likes of Kakuta and Borini at Chelsea will be classed as homegrown at a point. I don't see the point in the rule if that's the case, rather than enforcing clubs to develop talent it just means they stockpile players at an even younger age. Can't be good for them.

I agree, I think all this rule is going to do is make teams 'buy' or sign even more young European players. At the end of the day, we have quite a few foreign managers in the Prem now and they aren't going to care about where the player comes from, as long as they fit into the homegrown rule.

Am I right in thinking that in Germany the rule is that you must have 12 'homegrown' players in the squad, 8 of whom must be eligible for the national team? Think I read it on the BBC website somewhere last week? If so, that is a much better system and one which I think will actually help their youth development and national team, whereas I think we will just be getting left behind after a few years of our 'homegrown' rule.

Guest BooBoo

On a similar theme, Redknapp was also whining that Spurs pre season schedule was too intense. Why then didn't he put out a reserve side v Villareal? They couldnt have done any worse than the XI he selected, mainly made up of first teamers, who got a 4-1 runaround.