Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2010

Thespence

Just to bring the Benayoun thing up again. Not that I think he'd come here of course, or that we'd pay 9 million. But my point is, if he goes for 9 million that's an absolute bargain. Easily worth 12-16 imo.

G-Head is his sort of place.

Just to bring the Benayoun thing up again. Not that I think he'd come here of course, or that we'd pay 9 million. But my point is, if he goes for 9 million that's an absolute bargain. Easily worth 12-16 imo.

I'm in total agreement regarding the need for this type of player but couldn't disagree more that he's worth in excess of £9m.

He's 30 in three weeks. If Ashely was to sign him for £9m and give him a 3.5 year contract at say £45k per week (which is probably a reserved guesstimate) he's cost us over £15m and would have no resale value.

I'd say that we need the next Benayoun, not the current one.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm in total agreement regarding the need for this type of player but couldn't disagree more that he's worth in excess of £9m.

He's 30 in three weeks. If Ashely was to sign him for £9m and give him a 3.5 year contract at say £45k per week (which is probably a reserved guesstimate) he's cost us over £15m and would have no resale value.

I'd say that we need the next Benayoun, not the current one.

He's 28!? Christ! I didn't realise he was that old, I thought he was 24/25 or something. Aye 9 million is probably about his value then. I use Milner 12 Million as a reference far too often.  :lol:

Guest Brazilianbob

My wish list is

Nicky Maynard Bristol City - Striker - age 24 with 18 goals

Graham Dorrans West Brom - Midfield age 23  with 17 goals

Charlie Adam Blackpool - Midfield age 25 with 16 goals

Tom Cleverley Watford/Man U - Midfield/winger age 21 with 11 goals

Finally James perch Forest - Right back age 23  with 1 goal. 

My wish list is

I haven't seen anything of Maynard, but is he anything better than what we've got?

I would have thought it would have been better to go for someone tried and tested in the Premier League or any top flight level.

Argentine, Lucas Biglia from Anderlecht  :thup:

Also, how has Anthony Van den Borre performed for Portsmouth? Not really followed the EPL much this season.

He used to be a very promising player with bags of potential (I guess he still is at 22?). Was good for Anderlecht as a right/central midfielder from what I remember before transferring to Italy and seemingly forgotton about.

Also, how has Anthony Van den Borre performed for Portsmouth? Not really followed the EPL much this season.

He used to be a very promising player with bags of potential (I guess he still is at 22?). Was good for Anderlecht as a right/central midfielder from what I remember before transferring to Italy and seemingly forgotton about.

Has looked alright in the very few games I have seen.

Guest Brazilianbob

My wish list is

I haven't seen anything of Maynard, but is he anything better than what we've got?

I would have thought it would have been better to go for someone tried and tested in the Premier League or any top flight level.

Sholas tried and tested in the top flight!  Whats your point?  Seriously though, Lovenkrands is 30 now so Maynard would be useful to have around and certainly looks a better gamble than Leon Best, we might even be able to do a swap deal.

Guest Heneage

:shifty:

Great minds think alike. If they want re-sale you have to fish the leagues where players aren't quite finished, like Holland and Belgium.

Stephen Defour has been linked to half of Europe's top clubs, hasn't he? Distinctly recall Real Madrid having him as backup to Xabi Alonso.

Pretty sure Liège won't let him go for an affordable fee, particularly given the money they got from the likes of Fellaini.

My wish list is

Graham Dorrans West Brom - Midfield age 23  with 17 goals

Charlie Adam Blackpool - Midfield age 25 with 16 goals

Tom Cleverley Watford/Man U - Midfield/winger age 21 with 11 goals

Finally James perch Forest - Right back age 23  with 1 goal. 

Agree with all but Charlie Adam.  I would agree he has had a fantastic season at Blackpool, but this lad struggled in a Rangers side.  Is someone who struggles in a Rangers midfield good enough for the Premiersip after one good season in the Championship with Blackpool?  :icon_scratch:

People were saying similar about Barry Ferguson last winter, and that was after a poor spell down here with Blackburn. Been very good this season for Birmingham.

That's true, I forgot about that.  Although I would say that Barry Ferguson was far more successful at Rangers than Adams was.

Struggled at Rangers it is fucking myth man.  He used to play all the big games but he would get dropped against the smaller clubs this is why in his last full season he played 16 games in the league, while 11 in Europe. Season before Young Player Of The Year  & 3 CL goals to his name which went along with his 11 league goals.

People were saying similar about Barry Ferguson last winter, and that was after a poor spell down here with Blackburn. Been very good this season for Birmingham.

although I would say that Barry Ferguson was far more successful at Rangers than Adams was.

100% true.

Mccarthy from wigan.

Will have better options but he is going nowhere. This lad intrigues me knocked back most of Europes elite before he was 16, chose Ireland over Scotland, went to Wigan when he could of chose bigger clubs again & has already said he will not leave Wigan atm. His former teamate at Hamilton James MacArthur is good midfielder been linked with WBA iirc.

talking of players recently arrived from the scottish league - i'd take mccarthy from wigan.

Was recently linked with the Likes of Arsenal. Might be a bit too ambitious but worth a try.

didn't realise that. still might be worth a try as he'd be guaranteed game time here at a bigger club, could be better than going directly to one of the top teams.

I would like us to consider getting Felipe Caicedo... is he still on loan from City?

Still on loan at Malaga. I know because it's the same club Obinna is on loan at.

Nedum Onouah please.

We should get him in earlu June before he has the chance to showcase his talents at the WC. Good player with ample PL experience.

Is he likely to be called up? I'd be slightly peeved if i was a Nigerian player who played all the qualifiers and he just walks straight into the squad  at the last minute.....especially after he'd been turning Nigeria down on different occasions beforehand.

The coach reached out to him, and went to England to meet with him, so I think it is probable he would be involved if he does make the decision final. I welcome it. He was born in the country, is still very young, and could really help us in a position where we are still trying to figure things out.

Kaka..Briand suffered a serious ACL injury last season that kept him out up until the New Year. He's back now and playing fairly well. He's never been prolific, but is still a very good player, imo. He's been linked with a move to the top clubs in France over the summer.

Hitzlsberger is too old as well I think.

he`s only just turned 28 last week so I don`t think he`s that old....

oh, thought he was 31 or so. Ok, he's not too old then. Still not good enough imo.

I would take Hitz in a second, man! Not great, but definitely more than adequate for a club in our position. When was the last time when had a midfielder that could actually shoot?!

Pompey's Marc Wilson been linked a fair bit as well. He actually prefers to play the defensive midfield position, so wondering if that is where we would look to play him.

Looked awful at left-back at the start of the season, but has turned things around in the second half of the season. Probably worth a try, although I recall him signing a new contract a couple of months ago?

From Burnley and Pompey I'd definitely look at the following: Steven Fletcher, Martin Paterson, Clark Carlisle, Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears. Kevin Prince-Boateng is an obvious one to go for, but I don't trust his attitude at all. Still thinks he's in the Berlin ghetto imo. Belhadj would be great back-up to Enrique or Gutierrez.  We need a DM, Bouba Diop could be a good back-up, Mokoena was excellent against Spurs, don't know what he is like week in week out though.